Looking for a digital perf guage.

Old June 16th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

Default Looking for a digital perf guage.

Rein schrieb:
Gerhard,

does it tell you: 14.13 or does it round off to just 14.00 or 14.25???

groetjes, Rein

Op Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:59:10 +0200 schreef Gerhard Reichert
:

Hi Rein,

the perfotronic 2 does round, here an description in english:

http://www.mdcstamps.com/safe-perforation-gauges.htm

kind regards

Gerhard
Old June 16th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Joshua McGee"
Compare that to a $50 loupe, a $200 shortwave UV lamp, or the ridiculous
$300 Italian leather valise I use to carry the above in. :^)

No a bad idea really,
on Sunday, taking off to the auction, I had my tongs in my
breast pocket , as I went to smooth my jumper, I speared my hand.
I was not a very happy camper.
I now carry them in my over the sholder "man bag"
which is becoming indispensible for boot sales and stamp auctions.

Old June 16th 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

I took it as something different,
I thought you printed out the guage
I could see no reference to layering a stamp over the guage.

"Sir F. A. Rien"
Interesting, says nothing about what ppi to use for the scanning of your
image [stamp]. Perhaps covered in the pdf ???

Also probably doesn't take into account the 3% variation between different
scanners in 'size' of scan.

FWIW, that's almost the difference between Waterlow and De La Rue Castle
printings!

Old June 16th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:04:07 +0800, rodney wrote:

"Joshua McGee"
Compare that to a $50 loupe, a $200 shortwave UV lamp, or the
ridiculous $300 Italian leather valise I use to carry the above in.
:^)

No a bad idea really,
on Sunday, taking off to the auction, I had my tongs in my breast pocket
, as I went to smooth my jumper, I speared my hand. I was not a very
happy camper.
I now carry them in my over the sholder "man bag" which is becoming
indispensible for boot sales and stamp auctions.

I have speared myself on breast pocketed tongs, too. I've also ruined
more than one good shirt that way. I've switched from "Lethal
Point" (#901) to "Rolls Royce" (902) tongs since (after a momentary hand
tremor put a hole in the *second* stamp), and that helps, but it is
really the bag in question that has saved my shirts.

The story behind the leather bag: there was, until quite recently, a
chain of shops in the U.S. called Jay's Luggage. I'd call it a
"haberdashery", but that's not quite right, and is problematic in its
different meanings in U.S., U.K., and Australian English. A more
descriptive name might be "the sort of store in which I'd most like to
have a $10,000 shopping spree." It sold shaving kits, money clips,
umbrellas, wallets, Montblanc and Cross pens, chess sets, humidors, and
various and sundry "Fine Things in Life". The local branches have all
closed, and I believe the chain is defunct as well, corresponding well
with the economic downturn in which American gentlemen decided that $30
for an umbrella and $90 for a straight razor is "a bit absurd, really."

In any case, the local shops started a clearance sale -- first 10% off,
then 25%, then 50%, then, for the sparse remnants, 60% (if I recall
correctly.) To be honest, I cannot remember whether the valise in
question was $300 *before* or *after* the 60% discount, but as it was
beautifully cut and stitched, in perfect, richly-oiled Italian leather,
and (most importantly) had approximately three thousand small pockets in
the interior, I simply *had* to have it as a bag to take to bourses,
etc. Everything fit so nicely, though, that I ended up never taking my
tongs or watermark tray out unless I was using them -- and then only long
enough for the task at hand, at which point they were quickly re-
ensconced.

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 16th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"jerry"
Hi Rodney,
There is a perforation gauge in a little hinged box. The gauge has
'pins' against which you place the stamp.

I would be very interested Jerry, if you recall the name or find a link at a
later date.

Question
We have a mint sheet of 30 John Paul Jones "I have just begun to fight" Can
you please explain the difference between 11x12 perf, 11 perf, and 12 perf.
Thank you very much for your time.
John Eick

Answer
John,

The stamps were originally meant to be perfed 12x12. On the first day of
production, one of the two pin wheels in the perforating machine broke, and
was replaced with an 11. Much later, the second 12 wheel was replaced with
an 11, and the remaining stock of stamps were perfed 11x11.

The result is very few copies perfed 12x12 (they catalog $3,500 each), most
perfed 11x12 (very common), and the rest 11x11 (somewhat less common, valued
almost twice that of the common variety).

Old June 16th 09, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:11:12 +0800, rodney wrote:

Also probably doesn't take into account the 3% variation between
different scanners in 'size' of scan.

I took it as something different,
I thought you printed out the guage
I could see no reference to layering a stamp over the guage.

Are we certain there is no corresponding 3% variance in printer output?
Since the size of a printed pixel or width of a printed line is quantized
at the very least to the size of the nozzle/pin/whatever, I would be very
surprised if there were no variation between printer models.

Old June 16th 09, 07:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Gerhard,

that is exactly why I do not want that gauge! If it can measure
"elexctronically" then it should give me a not-rounded-off meaasure that I
can easily round-off myself should I want to....

Rein

Op Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:00:14 +0200 schreef Gerhard Reichert
:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 16th 09, 08:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:01:32 +0200, Rein wrote:

Gerhard,

that is exactly why I do not want that gauge! If it can measure
"elexctronically" then it should give me a not-rounded-off meaasure that
I can easily round-off myself should I want to....

Surely every gauge rounds off to *something*. 3.14159265 is a roundoff
of pi, for instance, albeit a pretty good one -- but it is still a
roundoff, as will every decimal expression of it. When comparing gauges
you need to have in mind the number of significant figures you require in
the output.

Do you need something that can discriminate between gauge 14.9 and 15?
The teeth are spaced about 1.3 mm apart, so 0.1 of that means you would
require a resolution of 0.13 mm. If you are trying to differentiate
between gauge 10.9 and gauge 11.1 (much more common) the teeth are spaced
about 1.8 mm apart, so you would need a resolution of 0.36 mm, which is
easier, which means cheaper. If your perf gauge dealer tells you that
his instrument is "accurate to 0.1 gauge in the range of gauges 8 through
15", that's important information. *Insist* on this sort of information.

Old June 16th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Dear sir,

Several hundreds of Dutch commemorative and definitive stamps used to have
one side of 13.89 [36mm = 25 teeth = 13.888888888888888 etc.] and the
other of 12.8 [25mm = 16 teeth = 12.800]

The .25 increment gauge is as SAFE as can be with our Dutch stamps! In
particular the used stamps will have l3.75:12.75 or 14:12.75 at random!

groetjes, Rein

Op Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:03:26 +0200 schreef Sir F. A. Rien
:

Rein found these unused words:

Gerhard,

that is exactly why I do not want that gauge! If it can measure
"elexctronically" then it should give me a not-rounded-off meaasure
that I
can easily round-off myself should I want to....

Rein

"You torture yourself with inaccurate and therefore unsuitable measuring
devices. The measuring points begin to "dance" before your eyes."

This guy should try plating Penny Reds - the IMPERF group, not the ones
with
numbers in the side spandrels.

"Displays in 1/4 increments, i.e. 14.25,14.5, 14.75, 15, etc."

Yes, useless for the Waterlow vs De La Rue measurements !

Our Price $ 419.95

OUCH! G

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old June 16th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Dear Sir,

this must be the case for line perforations as with comb perforations the
stamp size is basically constant.

And if we are dealing with recess printed stamps the minute difference may
be due to the paper [direction of the paper horizontal vs vertical] rather
than to a difference in the perforation itself

groetjes, Rein

Op Wed, 17 Jun 2009 00:04:26 +0200 schreef Sir F. A. Rien
:

That's fine for dutch material with WIDE differences ... but GB material
can
be 11.8 vs 11.9 beteen printers so the "SAFE" .25 increment gauge is too
'safe' and will lead to errors.