One Euro banknote idea to be reviewed

Old February 6th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Default One Euro banknote idea to be reviewed

http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?do...ng.italyonline

Old February 6th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

They will never go backwards and follow this moronic idea.

http://www.sirius.com/
"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?do...ng.italyonline

Old February 6th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Fred Shecter wrote:

They will never go backwards and follow this moronic idea.

Well, the Italian government has been promoting this moronic idea for
years, and probably will continue to do so. Who cares g.

Christian
Old February 6th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Dear All,
I entirely agree that the idea of a one euro note is totally
moronic, but please understand that the proposal comes from a very
specific political side and that there will be soon elections in Italy.
Thus all proposals coming out in this period are basically attempting to
gain trust from the conservative side of the Italian society.
The whole thing came out from the "feeling" that Italians had since
the inception of the euro about coins. At the time of the Lira, cois
were not worth much and people tended to put more trust on notes. Thus,
moronically, the current Treasury Minister tried to please his own
electorate side by proposing a sort of return to the use of paper in
please of coins for the one euro denomination. Fortunately, the rest of
the EU did not take into serious consideration such a proposal, despite
few other EU Countries had initially flirted with the idea. The main
argument was that since USA had the one dollar bill, then also Europe
should have had its own one euro bill. :-) This would've been funny
enough, if it hadn't been an actual real official proposal by a Government.
Anyway, just time will enable people (and I would say, not just
Italians) to have a better perception of the Euro currency and to reject
from the start such alien ideas as the one we are discussing now.
To change subject, I would say that very soon the whole system of
one letter code to identify euro notes from a specific Country will have
to be changed since from the beginning of next year at least three new
Countries will join (Estonia, Lithuania, and Slovenia). My guess is that
we should expect a new series within the next 2-3 years. :-)
I do hope that by then the ECB will prepare a nice series with some
European famous people on them, after all there is no shortage of them
available!!! :-)

Cheers to everybody,
Giovanni.

Old February 8th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Giovanni C. Pettinaro wrote:

The whole thing came out from the "feeling" that Italians had since
the inception of the euro about coins. At the time of the Lira, cois
were not worth much and people tended to put more trust on notes. Thus,
moronically, the current Treasury Minister tried to please his own
electorate side by proposing a sort of return to the use of paper in
please of coins for the one euro denomination. Fortunately, the rest of
the EU did not take into serious consideration such a proposal, despite
few other EU Countries had initially flirted with the idea. The main
argument was that since USA had the one dollar bill, then also Europe
should have had its own one euro bill. :-) This would've been funny
enough, if it hadn't been an actual real official proposal by a Government.

The twelve euro countries did indeed have quite different currency
"setups" before the introduction of the euro cash. I remember very well
how, for example, many people in Austria wanted low value euro notes
because they were used to "small" paper money. (The 20 schilling note
was worth about ¤1.45 ...) The situation in Italy and also Greece was
similar.

But all that was more than four years ago. One might assume that people
have gotten used to the current setup :-) So yes, I also think this is
part of some election campaign in Italy, and not to be taken very
serious.

To change subject, I would say that very soon the whole system of
one letter code to identify euro notes from a specific Country will have
to be changed since from the beginning of next year at least three new
Countries will join (Estonia, Lithuania, and Slovenia). My guess is that
we should expect a new series within the next 2-3 years. :-)

As for which countries will join the currency union on January 1, well,
Slovenia is a pretty easy case. The inflation rates in Lithuania and
particularly Estonia are a little high; whether these two will also be
on board then remains to be seen. Currently there is no country code
shortage; A through K, plus Q and W, are still available.

I do hope that by then the ECB will prepare a nice series with some
European famous people on them, after all there is no shortage of them
available!!! :-)

Would be neat, but then we would run into the old problem of who should
be depicted. "A French (German, Italian, etc.) on the biggest note while
our famous XYZ is only on the smallest note? Never!!"

What I could rather imagine, apart from updated security features, is
minor corrections such as adding Cyprus to the maps, and "ECB"
abbreviations in more languages. Think of the euro and cent coins - the
common sides (with the "maps") will be modified a little bit only ...

Christian
Old February 9th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Padraic Brown wrote:

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot, then. Who cares if some
German is on a 500 note very few would see? The 10 with a famous
Hollander or Belgian would be mùch more visible!

Quite right. :-) But we'll still have the "problem" of who, from where,
would be depicted on which note. And since you mentioned Belgium, we
would even have to take into account whether the person is Flemish or
Walloon. Oh, and half of the people have to be men, the other half would
have to be women ... Nah, bridges and windows are fine g.

Would be nice if they could come up with something more original than
an outline map ... state outline is what OUR coin designers are tops
at!!

Well, the new common sides of the euro coins look like this:
http://www.euronumis.com/?p=20
(Images taken from the 2005 "Practical Preparations" report of the
European Commission to the Parliament and the Council)

The page shows the new designs of the 10 ct and ¤1 coins. Like the map
on the existing euro notes, the "coin maps" will simply show Europe. As
far as I know, the new map will first be used by the new euro countries.
And once Estonia starts using the euro, you'll have a map/outline on the
common side and another one on (all!) the country specific sides ... :-/

The euro bills will not really be redesigned either. It would make sense
to add Cyprus to the map on the notes, and I guess that additional
abbreviations of "European Central Bank" will appear. But as far as the
designs are concerned, that should be it.

Christian
Old February 10th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:31:39 +0100, lid (Christian
Feldhaus) wrote:

Padraic Brown wrote:

They'd be shooting themselves in the foot, then. Who cares if some
German is on a 500 note very few would see? The 10 with a famous
Hollander or Belgian would be mùch more visible!

Quite right. :-) But we'll still have the "problem" of who, from where,
would be depicted on which note.

Ah, well, I have a Cunning Plan...

Picture it -- we sell the ECB (centered in Brussels, if I recall
right) -- on a series of commemorative €5 and €10 notes highlighting
several great persons, say of letters, sciences, arts and maybe
politics, from each country. Sort of a state quarter programme for
famous europeans.

And since you mentioned Belgium, we
would even have to take into account whether the person is Flemish or
Walloon.

Well, naturally, a Modern commemorative programme would have to
commemorate all the various native ethnic groups in Europe's
countries.

Oh, and half of the people have to be men, the other half would
have to be women ... Nah, bridges and windows are fine g.

Party pooper!

Would be nice if they could come up with something more original than
an outline map ... state outline is what OUR coin designers are tops
at!!

Well, the new common sides of the euro coins look like this:
http://www.euronumis.com/?p=20
(Images taken from the 2005 "Practical Preparations" report of the
European Commission to the Parliament and the Council)

SNORE. Like I said, leave the outline maps to the pros! One would
think Europe could come with something at léast artistic in nature!

The page shows the new designs of the 10 ct and €1 coins. Like the map
on the existing euro notes, the "coin maps" will simply show Europe. As
far as I know, the new map will first be used by the new euro countries.

Well, at least northeaster Europe no longer looks like a suggestively
pornographic image.

And once Estonia starts using the euro, you'll have a map/outline on the
common side and another one on (all!) the country specific sides ... :-/

The euro bills will not really be redesigned either. It would make sense
to add Cyprus to the map on the notes, and I guess that additional
abbreviations of "European Central Bank" will appear. But as far as the
designs are concerned, that should be it.

Padraic.

Christian

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old February 12th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money

Padraic Brown wrote:

Picture it -- we sell the ECB (centered in Brussels, if I recall right) --
on a series of commemorative 5 and 10 notes highlighting several great
persons, say of letters, sciences, arts and maybe politics, from each
country. Sort of a state quarter programme for famous europeans.

Would actually be a nice idea. However, most euro countries do not have
a tradition of issuing commemorative paper money. So the ECB (in
Frankfurt BTW) would have to launch some campaign telling the Euro-peans
about those new/extra notes. Maybe in a couple of years, when people in
the new member states have become familiar with the standard notes. But
basically I like the suggestion. :-)

[about the new common sides of the euro coins]
Well, at least northeaster Europe no longer looks like a suggestively
pornographic image.

Right, the new designs looks normal ... as if the Norwegian-Swedish
"mouth" was about to devour Denmark. Uh-oh g.

Christian