The "facebook" of stamp collectors and philatelists

Old December 28th 08, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Svend Waever

Default The "facebook" of stamp collectors and philatelists

www.myphilately.com has been called the "facebook" of stamp collectors and
philatelists, and rightly so. My Philately is a social networking website,
not a bulletin board, not a forum, not a newsgroup. If you would like the
definition of social networking websites take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network_service . Put simply - People
form groups and try to attract people with similar interests.

On My Philately member interests focus on more or less all aspects of the
world of a stamp collector. At a first glance the website may seem a bit
confusing. The reason is that it attempts to oblige a vast number of
collectors' interests. What you do is to zap around a bit to get acquainted
with the site and use its search functions.

The site has many functions aiming at helping its members to keep updated in
general or with regard to the area of stamp collecting that interest them.
Two important such functions are "Latest Activity" and the newly created
"Forum". When you have found your groups of interest you can ask to be kept
updated by using the Book Marking function.

It is possible to exchange images, to chat live and to send private mails to
your philatelic friends.

A "My wants" service has been created, but is still being developed. Many
"Wants" have already been registered, but are still unsorted and therefore
difficult to access in a smart way.

My Philately is an English language site, but for those that have
insufficient knowledge of English I believe you will easily find help when
you look for a specific expression or philatelic concept. Advanced, Medium
as well as Beginners in stamp collecting and philately are all present at My
Philately and active.

I myself have created three groups: One about the pretty bi-coloured stamps
from Denmark and the Danish West Indies (1870-1905) ; one about Newspaper
Wrappers and one about Philatelic Literature. I am a member of altogether 34
groups, including the very popular Birds group, the First Issues group, the
Scandinavian Group, the group about India, the Exhibiting your Collection
group, the Dead Countries group, the Roos Group, the Hungarian Group, the
Airophilately group, the Home Made Albums group and the New Round Robin
group, just to mention a few.

It goes for this Website as for many other activities that nothing comes out
of nothing. If you want to enjoy the good company of fellow stamp
collectors and benefit from their knowledge you too must show willingness to
participate in the discussions and develop the site in a way that the great
majority of members feel comfortable with.

The website of My Philately is based in Australia, men has a worldwide
membership, today very close to 1500. Why don't you try it?

I wish you a happy and prosperous 2009

Svend - just one of the 1500 members of www.myphilately.com

Old February 4th 09, 06:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 28. Dec. 2008, 03:44 h., "Svend Waever"
wrote:
[...]

I like site www.stampsclub.info - It is also social networking for
stamp collectors, it is simpler to use...