MB resin cracks

Old March 15th 05, 04:36 PM

Default MB resin cracks

I've looked through some posts here over the years but I haven't been
able to find an answer to my question (which might mean it's so obvious
I'm the only one who's actually gone so far as to post it).

I discovered today that my MB Meisterstuck, which I don't really use
any more, has very fine cracks on it, the kind you find on old
porcelain, and in one spot, the ink is starting to show through. (It's
a burgundy one, not black.)

I've emptied it and put it away now, and I figure I won't bother
getting it fixed. But (and here's the question) will the cracks get
worse? Are they just unsightly or are they a sign that the pen's simply
going to break into little pieces one day?

Old March 15th 05, 05:23 PM
BL

tsarantos wrote:
snip
I discovered today that my MB Meisterstuck,
which I don't really use any more, has very fine
cracks on it, the kind you find on old
porcelain, and in one spot, the ink is starting
to show through. (It's a burgundy one, not
black.)

It's probably a 144 Classique. Those pens were a disaster for MB b/c the
barrel/cap walls are so thin.

I've emptied it and put it away now, and I
figure I won't bother getting it fixed. But (and
here's the question) will the cracks get worse?
Are they just unsightly or are they a sign that
the pen's simply going to break into little
pieces one day?

The cracks will get worse. The cracks affect the pen's structural
integrity and aren't just cosmetic. I'd probably go to MB and try to get
them to fix it for free (which they will do sometimes). Then I'd sell it
on eBay. -- B

Old March 16th 05, 03:04 AM
Nancy Handy

Mont Blanc will charge you a fee and they won't fix it, they'll
completely replace the cracked pieces. I know, it's annoying to have to
spend $35 or so to fix it, but you'll have a pen that is good as new.
I'd spend the money and fix it if I liked the pen. As I recall, their
turnaround time is pretty fast. Send it through a Mont Blanc store and
you won't have to pay the postage and insurance.

Nancy
Old March 16th 05, 06:41 AM
DovR

Yup, Bernadette's is the best advice. Get fixed, preferably under
guarantee but they'll probably charge for it as it is MB we're talking
about not a customer friendly pen co like the others. Once you have
back, best bet is to adhere to Bernadette's sagacious words and flog
on the bay. They will not repair, probably exchange the entire barrel or
pen for a cost.

So you'll at least get your money back or part of it. If lucky maybe
even more, fleabay sometimes works in strange and mysterious ways .
Noobies, snobs, pocket jewelry fans, unbeknowings will be more than
happy to buy off you and you'll probably get quite a lot of interest.
Don't mention the crack story of courser, those who know know and those
who don't probably don't want to know.

When I was a newbie myself the morning newspaper here offered an annual
subscription with, yes you've guessed right, a gift MB 144 in burgundy.
Obviously landed with them, the importer, knowing the truth, the whole
truth and nothing but the truth made a deal with the paper for free
advertising or whatever and the paper seduced innocents to get the pen
as a freebie for subscribing.

Yes, indeed I too was tempted. Even persuaded by the sales agent to buy
a bottle of turquoise as msrp. Very mediocre waterish ink though nice
hue. I must say the bottle is a good design and quite ergonomic with
it's side extended neck for filling.

But of course cracks developed, w/o a fall and I did exactly what
Bernadette has suggested to the poster. Returned to the subscription
dept for replacement and then traded for something else. Maybe less
value and lacking the tell;tale mountain crest, but certainly more
enjoyable.

This was accomplished not w/o argument and their baseless claims that I
had mistreated the pen. Precious resin and all that b.s. I promptly
pulled out a M800 by the other German company known by the bird and
beak, which erroneously fell down three floors. And it was literally
unscratched. Worked perfectly. When the Pelikan 1000 cracked at base,
the local agent exchanged no questions asked and I was pleasantly
surprised that no fee charged. That's a co that respects its products
QC and customer base.

This initial bad experience with the MB is perhaps one of the reasons
I do not like MB's. Though they do have some beautiful pens. The oldies
are better quality, overall they are overrated and have a reputation
for quality they do not really deserve. But as we all know, hype and
snobbishness sell. They are proving Marketing 101 over and over again.

"BL" wrote in message
snip

Old March 16th 05, 08:11 AM
Earl Camembert

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 08:41:21 +0200, "DovR" tadir@removeNOSPAM
actcom.co.il wrote:

This initial bad experience with the MB is perhaps one of the reasons
I do not like MB's. Though they do have some beautiful pens. The oldies
are better quality, overall they are overrated and have a reputation
for quality they do not really deserve. But as we all know, hype and
snobbishness sell. They are proving Marketing 101 over and over again.

Mountblaugh makes a very fine pen, the 149, it is not worth six
hundred USD but it is a very nice pen. I have five of them and no
chips cracks or dings. Very smooth fine nib.
Old March 16th 05, 08:04 PM
Tom

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll have to sell it once I get it
fixed. I read that Frank Dubiel said that this cracking usually happens
in the third year, and it has in fact been almost three years since I
bought it. So if I get it fixed, it won't be long till I need to get it
fixed again.