Penguins

Old May 20th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Penguins

"Matti Lamprhey" wrote in message
"michael adams" wrote...
"Matti Lamprhey" wrote...
"michael adams" wrote...

[...] "The Unpleasentness at the Bellona Club" probably
appealed to an Agatha Christe completeist, [...]

That's a funny way to spell Dottie Sayers!

Oh dear! An author flame - a surfeit of Lamprhey.

:-)))

Matti

My apologies, you must get that a lot.

michael adams

Old May 20th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"joholondon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Michael, thanks for this. I have managed to sell a few later
Penguins and yes, they were all firsts (in Penguin). I have tried to
include some information about my assemblage - if they are in poor
condition or if they have their dust jackets. But I didn't put the
impression number as I figured if anyone was that keen they'd work it
out from the publication year. I based my price on how much I paid for
them. One of them, The Unpleasantness at the Belladonna Club, cost me
£25. God knows why as it's a fifth impression! The rest mostly cost me
£1-4. And I was buying these 10 years ago. It's disappointing they
haven't really gone up in value.
And Kris, before joining your group I looked at the About Group page
and didn't see any FAQs.
Jo

--------------
That's because this is NOT a "Google Group". This is Usenet.
Google has gone through every *real* newsgroup and put their
own definition on, without asking the users.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...ng.books/about

It's a mess, and I can't imagine why anyone would use
their interface. It's nothing but a spamhaus, and you'll
find that (increasingly) people won't reply to you because
they've killfiled Google Groups users because most are
spammers. If you look at the above link, you'll see that
Google thinks we are "similar" to the marketplace
groups. We are not. A real newsfeed, and a real
newsreader, opens a whole new world to you. If
your ISP does not include a newsfeed, you can pay $10 a
year to individual.net and get an excellent one.

Proper usenet convention is to look through the list
of subjects, and if you don't see them posted, ask
for them. Alice has given you the ability to search,
if you don't want to ask first. But NEVER assume
that a group is commercial.

Kris

Old May 21st 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Whoa! Thanks for this Alice and Kris.
I'm now trying to work out how Usenet is going to be useful for me. So
far I've found out I'm a "newbie" and that the earlier exchange was
sort of an example of "Skitt's law",
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitt%27s_law) if you assume that Michael
was subtly correcting my mis-spelling of "Bellona"!
Thanks for your patience and time.
Jo

Old May 21st 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"joholondon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whoa! Thanks for this Alice and Kris.
I'm now trying to work out how Usenet is going to be useful for me. So
far I've found out I'm a "newbie" and that the earlier exchange was
sort of an example of "Skitt's law",
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitt%27s_law) if you assume that Michael
was subtly correcting my mis-spelling of "Bellona"!
Thanks for your patience and time.
Jo

Hi, Jo

Thanks for being so nice about this! Usenet is great, IF read
through a newsreader (where you can killfile people you don't want
to read, and ignore spammers). Google "makes" you read it all,
and has no "ignore" filters.

Kris

Old May 21st 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"joholondon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whoa! Thanks for this Alice and Kris.
I'm now trying to work out how Usenet is going to be useful for me. So
far I've found out I'm a "newbie" and that the earlier exchange was
sort of an example of "Skitt's law",
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skitt%27s_law) if you assume that Michael
was subtly correcting my mis-spelling of "Bellona"!
Thanks for your patience and time.
Jo

Hey, Jo! You just taught ME something. I'd always called it "the
Karma of the Usenet spelling flame"...but I see it has a name.
Skitt's law.

Kris

Old June 5th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

All Penguins were printed in millions. None are particularly
rare.

Is that true of Sine's "Massacre", which was printed in the
usual enormous run, but most of it personally incinerated by
Allen Lane one night when he found out what was in it?

I think I've still got one - the New Zealand shipment must
have gone out before Lane's action - but I'm not particularly
interested in selling it or knowing what it's worth.

Old June 5th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
All Penguins were printed in millions. None are particularly
rare.

Is that true of Sine's "Massacre", which was printed in the
usual enormous run, but most of it personally incinerated by
Allen Lane one night when he found out what was in it?

£30 - £35 two copies on Amazon Marketplace.

Millions is probably overstating it in any case. But the 30's
titles all had very large print runs as they sold in Woolworths,
W.H.Smiths bookstalls and just about everywhere else. With very
little compepetion at 6d a title for genuine literature and
later authoratitive non-fiction.

The 60's titles, more especially cartoons probably didn't sell
in equivalent quantities by that stage, as there was more
competetion both in terms of other publishers, more titles
in more Penguin series, and other forms of entertainment.

Evidently Lane visited the warehouse at night and loaded them
onto a farm trailer. Whether he found them all is another matter.

One or two the wartime Pelicans seem to be in short supply
as well. Although Penguin didn't lose any to bomb damage
AFAIAA.

I think I've still got one - the New Zealand shipment must
have gone out before Lane's action - but I'm not particularly
interested in selling it or knowing what it's worth.

1966 is a bit late for me, although I pick them up when I see
them, just for the evolving designs of the covers etc.

michael adams

Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660

4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554

975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739

557