Athenian Tetradrachm in Triton X Sale

Old October 26th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

Default Athenian Tetradrachm in Triton X Sale

From cngcoins website:

"This sale features several collections of Greek coinage highlighted by an
EF Athenian Dekadrachm; diverse Oriental Greek and Central Asian lots,
featuring an impressive offering of Kushan gold; attractive selections of
Roman Provincial and Roman Republican coins; a strong offering of Roman
Imperial issues, including over 40 pieces of gold; Byzantine and Early
Medieval coins highlighted by several important pieces of gold; a World
section featuring an excellent offering of Talers, a collection of gold and
silver coins of Genoa, and over fifty lots of platinum, gold, and silver
Russian coins; and a select British offering, including two very nice milled
British collections. The sale concludes with an assorted large lot section
presenting many thousands of coins."

Too bad I have to let Ira bid on this one, it is a bit out of my price range

Old October 26th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message
From cngcoins website:

[...]

Okay I have the Tetradrachm, but I would really like to have the Dekadrachm
!

Old October 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:17:19 -0400, "Sibirskmoneta"
wrote:

"This sale features several collections of Greek coinage highlighted by an
EF Athenian Dekadrachm; diverse Oriental Greek and Central Asian lots,

The CNG page is coded wrong (I'm sure they'll fix it). This link will
take you to a close-up of the dek:

http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?Co...7&IsEnlarged=1

CNG generally grades conservatively. But I wouldn't call this coin EF,
with its wear and porosity. It's EF only if you so what PCGS and NGC
does when grading celebrity coins -- exaggerate grades just because
they're celebrity coins. This grading of this dek isn't grossly
exaggerated in the way that the PCGS exaggerates the grading of, say,
1804 Bust dollars. I'd call it aEF.

I suspect this piece will sell for close to $1 million.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old October 26th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Is the owl in the process of laying an egg?

It does have corrosion.

A unique gold coin was recently auctioned in the UK, it has a large scrape
on it, the result of an armed robbery in 1974, the scrape appears not have
deterred bidders as it sold for £241,500. Billy

Old October 27th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
CNG generally grades conservatively. But I wouldn't call this coin EF,
with its wear and porosity. It's EF only if you so what PCGS and NGC
does when grading celebrity coins -- exaggerate grades just because
they're celebrity coins. This grading of this dek isn't grossly
exaggerated in the way that the PCGS exaggerates the grading of, say,
1804 Bust dollars. I'd call it aEF.

I suspect this piece will sell for close to $1 million.

--

I agree with you on the grade, I don't believe I would call it EF either.
But it could be worse, it could have been dumbed down in some stupid piece