Any Poets aboard ?~Robert Burns.

Old April 13th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton

Default Any Poets aboard ?~Robert Burns.

In a recent message "Rod" wrote:

"Tony Cooper" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:10:55 +0800, "Rod"
wrote:
AFAIK, the "guinea" was so named because the gold in the coin came
from the Guinea Coast of Africa. When the guinea was introduced in
1663 it was worth 20 shillings. However, shillings were made of
silver and the guinea was made of gold and the higher value of gold
made the 20 shillings in gold worth 21 shillings in silver. The value
of a guinea fluctuated and was worth up to 30 shillings at times.

G'day Tony,
raking over the carcases of past discussions in the NG
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...opics?hl=en&lr
=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Employing the search string "Guinea"

There is this from our members Tony Gelat, and Victor Manta.

guinea is the name of a gold coin minted in England from gold
obtained from the Guinea coast and worth 21 shillings, or 1.05 pounds.
British snobs priced many things in guineas, perhaps to get that extra 5
percent.

I think to classify them as 'snobs' is a bit OTT. Prior to when the
sovereign came in back in the early 19th century the standard gold coin was
the guinea, so called because of where the gold had come for the most part.
The value of the guinea varied as the standard was silver, but finished
at 21 shillings. As many prices at that time were on the gold standard
prices were in guineas, and habits died hard despite the introduction of
the new-fangled sovereign rated at one pound or 20 shillings.

Nevertheless I do not doubt that the extra 5% did encourage its retention,
principally in horce racing and fine art auctionrooms.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old April 13th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Tony Clayton" wrote in message

I think to classify them as 'snobs' is a bit OTT.

I'd suggest that was a bit of tongue in cheek from Tony

Nevertheless I do not doubt that the extra 5% did encourage its retention,
principally in horce racing and fine art auctionrooms.

I was watching the "Antique roadshow" today, and the fellow
discussing the pottery and china, made a comment referring to his craft
of apparaisal, that there were "100 shades of white".

......and we think we have problems with shades

Old April 16th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rod:
The full text is:
A Man's A Man For A' That
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his head and a' that?

G'day Blair,
in appreciation of posting that lovely poem,
here is something made for you lot, in Hamilton Ontario.
A "Burns federation Congress"
Circa 1989
The etiquette complies with all UPU regulations
applying to airmail vignettes.
They were issued in panes of 9, booklets of 56
http://cjoint.com/data/eqnNlfZxKm.htm

Cheers
Rodney

Robert Burns T@home Books 1 September 11th 06 09:16 PM
Johnson's Poets (Update). Jerry Morris Books 0 June 1st 06 12:17 AM
Any Lithuanians aboard? Rodney General Discussion 10 September 14th 05 03:17 PM
Life and works of Robert Burns Alwaysfreezking Books 3 February 3rd 04 11:24 PM
Robert Burns Old Edition Neil Williamson Books 1 September 3rd 03 05:46 AM