My latest coin acquisition

Old April 9th 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default My latest coin acquisition

The Connecticut state coppers were dated 1785 through 1788, and comprise
pieces made from well over three hundred die pairs. They were made by
various individuals with varying degrees of skill under varying conditions.
Poor workmanship and materials plague these coins, and the survivors attest
to this unhappy fact. A look at pages 58-60 in a recent edition of the
Redbook will show many spelling anomalies in the legends on both sides.

The reverse legend should read INDE ET LIB (Latin abbreviations for
Independence and Liberty) but my coin reads FNDE ET LIB. Punch link studies
have shown that this particular coin was made in the same place, at the same
time, and by the same people as the much more widely known "FUGIO" coppers
(Redbook, pages 83-84). The hypothesis is that the diecutter thought he was
making a die for a FUGIO, but after punching the letter F into the die was
told that he was making a Connecticut, and should have been punching INDE in
that location. As was often done, instead of discarding the erroneous die,
he was told to correct it by punching the proper I over the F and then
completing the rest of the legend. Thus this variety is known as the FNDE
over INDE. The die in question is known as reverse aa, pictured he

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...zman/revaa.jpg

This particular piece was selected from a dealer's double-row box of
colonials just yesterday afternoon.

James the Early American

Old April 9th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

On Apr 9, 3:09*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
[...]

Nice catch Jim. I like coins with a story.

Jud
Old April 9th 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
james durham

Wow that's a pretty coin ya got there. May i ask what ya got it for? I'm
attending a show in about a month and a half and am ready to go. I wanna
buy one roll of wheats from each decade. How much should i pay for rolls
by decade? Being my first show ill be honest i just dont know prices and
dont intend to be ripped off. Signed the other James a.k.a The newly
reformed punctual capitalist. LMAO @ myself i just come up with that in
my head

Old April 10th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

james durham wrote:
Wow that's a pretty coin ya got there. May i ask what ya got it for?
I'm attending a show in about a month and a half and am ready to go.
I wanna buy one roll of wheats from each decade. How much should i
pay for rolls by decade? Being my first show ill be honest i just
dont know prices and dont intend to be ripped off. Signed the other
James a.k.a The newly reformed punctual capitalist. LMAO @ myself i
just come up with that in my head

I never reveal what I pay for coins, but if you happen to have a recent
Redbook, you can look on page 60 and find that variety priced in several
grades.

I don't know that I've ever seen rolls of wheats sold by decade. If they
are, you can be sure that they have been artificially put together and
totally devoid of anything that might be better than average. You may be
setting yourself up to be ripped, so I'd advise you look for specific
date/mint combinations, as those fit a more regular price schedule.

James

Old April 10th 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jud wrote:
[...]

I neglected to mention that the IN in INDE is actually struck over the FU in
the intended FUGIO. That wasn't obvious until I really looked more closely.
So, a more accurate name for the variety would be INDE over FUDE.

James the Precise

James the Microscopist

Old April 10th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 4/9/2010 3:09 PM, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
The Connecticut state coppers were dated 1785 through 1788, and comprise

See! I knew you could do it. Sounds like a good acquisition actually.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old April 10th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog[_2_]

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On 4/9/2010 3:09 PM, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
The Connecticut state coppers were dated 1785 through 1788, and comprise

See! I knew you could do it. Sounds like a good acquisition actually.

Well, there you have it - the stamp of approval by none other than Reid "I'm
Never Wrong" Goldsborough.

Old April 10th 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 4/9/2010 3:09 PM, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
The Connecticut state coppers were dated 1785 through 1788, and
comprise

See! I knew you could do it. Sounds like a good acquisition actually.

Whether I could do it was never in question. The real question is whether
it will generate positive dialogue or snarky comments. So far the reviews
are mixed.

James

Old April 10th 10, 02:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog[_2_]

Reid Goldsborough wrote:
On 4/9/2010 3:09 PM, Mr. Jaggers wrote:
The Connecticut state coppers were dated 1785 through 1788, and
comprise

See! I knew you could do it. Sounds like a good acquisition actually.

Whether I could do it was never in question. The real question is whether it
will generate positive dialogue or snarky comments. So far the reviews are
mixed.

Leave it to Goldsborough to claim credit for prognostication of a fait accompli.

President Tyler's latest legacy: A new coin Arizona Coin Collector Coins 2 June 7th 09 01:21 AM
Latest Acquisition RWF Books 0 March 24th 09 01:13 PM
My latest acquisition- Roman Provincial of Augustus [email protected] Coins 3 June 3rd 08 04:13 AM
My latest acquisition: Seated Half Dime Randy Thompson Coins 7 May 29th 06 06:24 PM
Latest on Ohio coin fund saga stonej Coins 0 May 13th 05 12:40 PM