Nice find

Old November 18th 05, 01:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Nice find

We were appraising this large collection for this guy today and got lucky.
Among the tons of stuff was a bag of Indian Cents, 853 to be exact. Some
were rolled, most not. 3 rolls of 1908, so I figure maybe an 08 S in there.
No luck. Had gone through pretty much the whole bag and found about 25 that
were worth $2-$5, the rest being common AG-G-VG kind of stuff. I had no
more than about 20 left when low and behold an 1877 pops up. AG-3, with a
little reverse environmental damage, but a clear date.

Old November 18th 05, 02:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

that's pretty sweet, i wish i had a shop that people just walked in and
wanted to sell me stuff like that!

Old November 18th 05, 01:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
nk.net:

We were appraising this large collection for this guy today and got
lucky. Among the tons of stuff was a bag of Indian Cents, 853 to be
exact. Some were rolled, most not. 3 rolls of 1908, so I figure
maybe an 08 S in there. No luck. Had gone through pretty much the
whole bag and found about 25 that were worth $2-$5, the rest being
common AG-G-VG kind of stuff. I had no more than about 20 left
when low and behold an 1877 pops up. AG-3, with a little reverse
environmental damage, but a clear date.

Ok, I'm jealous yet again!

So, who wants to give me enough money so I can start my own coin
shop????

Wes, you're having waaaayyyy more fun at your job than I am at mine!!!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old November 18th 05, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 18 Nov 2005 13:54:52 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
ink.net:

We were appraising this large collection for this guy today and got
lucky. Among the tons of stuff was a bag of Indian Cents, 853 to be
exact. Some were rolled, most not. 3 rolls of 1908, so I figure
maybe an 08 S in there. No luck. Had gone through pretty much the
whole bag and found about 25 that were worth $2-$5, the rest being
common AG-G-VG kind of stuff. I had no more than about 20 left
when low and behold an 1877 pops up. AG-3, with a little reverse
environmental damage, but a clear date.

Ok, I'm jealous yet again!

So, who wants to give me enough money so I can start my own coin
shop????

Wes, you're having waaaayyyy more fun at your job than I am at mine!!!

You don't have to open a shop. Rent a ballroom in a hotel. Take out
a full page ad in the local papers that you are buying gold and
silver, get you some big security guys and go to town. During the big
gold and silver boom of the late 1970s that was the way to go. They
were having to get armored cars to take away the gold and silver they
were buying. Since there is really any big shops in most towns the
best folks can get is from pawn shops and they pay way under spot so
get yourself 50 or 60K in cash, get the place, run the ads and be
ready for the stampede.
Cliff

Old November 18th 05, 08:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Cliff wrote in
:

On 18 Nov 2005 13:54:52 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
link.net:

[...]

Only one problem with that theory, Cliff: where do I come up with that
initial 50 or 60K? For some unknown reason, I haven't been able to
strike it rich at the Lottery, yet!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

(Ooohhhhh! You have to play to win!!!)
Old November 18th 05, 09:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 18 Nov 2005 20:18:10 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

Cliff wrote in
:

On 18 Nov 2005 13:54:52 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
hlink.net:

[...]

Take maximum cash advances on all your credit cards and then work like
heck to turn everything before the first payment comes due. Old coin
dealers were the kings of check float, buying on Saturday and Sunday
knowing the checks wouldn't hit the bank before Monday and they could
flip everything by Sunday evening, keep the extra and put enough in
the bank to cover the float. Now you don't have that much time so the
best you can do is get cash advances or a line of credit. My credit
union gives me a line of credit up to 25K and I can take out and put
back as often as I like and it's treated like a signature loan and as
long as I put it back within 10 or 15 days it cost me very little to
use their money.
Cliff

Old November 18th 05, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Cliff wrote in
:

On 18 Nov 2005 20:18:10 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

Cliff wrote in
m:

On 18 Nov 2005 13:54:52 GMT, Eric Babula
wrote:

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
thlink.net:

[...]

You must have a very understanding wife! I don't think I could pull that
one over my wife's eyes!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

(Gotta save for the kids' college educations, ya know.)
Old November 19th 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in
nk.net:

We were appraising this large collection for this guy today and got
lucky. Among the tons of stuff was a bag of Indian Cents, 853 to be
exact. Some were rolled, most not. 3 rolls of 1908, so I figure
maybe an 08 S in there. No luck. Had gone through pretty much the
whole bag and found about 25 that were worth $2-$5, the rest being
common AG-G-VG kind of stuff. I had no more than about 20 left when
low and behold an 1877 pops up. AG-3, with a little reverse
environmental damage, but a clear date.

This reminds me of a story that Bill Eisenhart, an old-time dealer in
Harrisburg, PA told me about 30 years ago. A fellow walked into his shop
and put 35 circulated Indian Head cents on the counter. Bill naturally
figured he was looking at a total of $5 or $6 dollars in value. It turned
out the guy's father had been born in 1877 and had saved every 1877 penny
he had ever seen! That's right - 35 1877's!!!!!

I used to love going into Bill's shop and shooting the breeze. He had some
great stories and was one of the good guys. He died in the late 70's, but
perhaps some of you remember him?

Scott