Cheap Sheaffer fountain pens disappearing?

Old September 27th 03, 03:14 AM

Default Cheap Sheaffer fountain pens disappearing?

I've been using cheap ($5) Sheaffer fountains for a number of years, now,
and like them just fine. Sure, the quality is variable, but at that price,
if one acts up, I just discard it or trade parts with another. No problam.

There's no way I'd pay more than $10 for a pen; I lose too many, travelling
around. So far as I can tell, I'd have to pay a LOT more to get anything
much better. And I hate fat pens. The cheap little Sheaffers can sit in
my shirt pocket all day without getting in the way, and they don't make me
feel like I'm writing with an elephant pen.

The problem is, I don't seem to be able to find these pens any more. The
local stationery warehouses seem to have stopped carying them. The closest
thing the Sheaffer web site comes is something called the "Reaktor", which
looks like a toy.

Comments, suggestions, please?

/kenw
Ken Wallewein CDP,CNE,MCSE,CCA,CCNA
K&M Systems Integration
Phone (403)274-7848
Fax (403)275-4535

www.kmsi.net
Old September 27th 03, 04:09 AM
kcat

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:14:52 GMT, wrote:

I've been using cheap ($5) Sheaffer fountains for a number of years, now,
and like them just fine. Sure, the quality is variable, but at that price,
if one acts up, I just discard it or trade parts with another. No problam.

The problem is, I don't seem to be able to find these pens any more. The
local stationery warehouses seem to have stopped carying them. The closest
thing the Sheaffer web site comes is something called the "Reaktor", which
looks like a toy.

The Reaktor is a piece of junk. A sad attempt by Sheaffer to move
into the "standard" cartridge arena. IMNSHO. :P

I don't know what model of cheap Sheaffer pen you're talking about.
There are too many. I'm not a huge fan of modern Sheaffers. if you
can determine what model you have or can post a picture of it on one
of the other forums (not here) you might be able to find more like
what you have. Usually these things are all pretty common.

It isn't true that you have to pay a "lot" more for a better quality
pen. If anything, quality seems to go down as the price goes up above
$150-200. At least in my experience. To me, $30 is a good price for
an decent FP. I have only one pen that cost me more than $50 and it
was a special reward for surviving a major work project. But there
are many excellent pens in the 10-30USD range.

I have to admit I don't understand the "disposable" approach you're
taking. I expect (and have gotten) many years of proper function from
my pens. I have not had to throw out parts or worry about these pens
"acting up." My oldest "user" pen is a 1950s Sheaffer Crafstman. I
bought it for $15. Great little pen and not "fat" at all. Yes it was
restored at one point but... one repair in 40+ years? not bad IMO. A
modern pen that I purchased for $30 - The Waterman Phileas - has been
in use since '96 or '97. never a glitch. 30 dollars over 6 years -
pretty good deal.

all that said - if you can give a description of the pen you are
looking for, you might find someone who can point you in the right
direction for that particular pen.

You might want to check with Norman Hasse at
www.hisnibs.com
He carries Sheaffer School pens and might know what you're looking
for. I don't know much about them other than they're cheap and lots
of people like them for the price. And there are other cheap pens out
there that you might like. don't know what your needs are for nibs or
filler type. I would avoid the Reaktor - it has gaping holes in the
cap that make for quick ink evaporation (that's a bad thing) and the
pen hiccoughed and spit whenever it pleased.

Some other cheap but fairly reliable pens - Hero, Pelikano, Pelikan
Future, Pelikan M75 (discontinued but currently found on e-bay and on
the Pentrace Market board. Parker Reflex (probably too fat for you).
well, the list goes on.

sorry - i do ramble. good luck in your search.
Old September 27th 03, 03:29 PM
john cline ii

wrote in message
| I've been using cheap ($5) Sheaffer fountains for a number of years,
now,
| and like them just fine. Sure, the quality is variable, but at that
price,
| if one acts up, I just discard it or trade parts with another. No
problam.

| There's no way I'd pay more than $10 for a pen; I lose too many,
travelling
| around. So far as I can tell, I'd have to pay a LOT more to get
anything
| much better. And I hate fat pens. The cheap little Sheaffers can
sit in
| my shirt pocket all day without getting in the way, and they don't
make me
| feel like I'm writing with an elephant pen.
|
| The problem is, I don't seem to be able to find these pens any more.
The
| local stationery warehouses seem to have stopped carying them. The
closest
| thing the Sheaffer web site comes is something called the "Reaktor",
which
| looks like a toy.

I believe you are referring to what was commonly known as the Sheaffer
cartridge pen. They have been discontinued. The Reacktor is its sad
replacement. I would buy a supply of Sheaffer school pens, available
from Sam at Pendemonium ( http://www.pendemonium.com ). When the
current supply of those is gone, they, too, will be history.

I also strongly recommend the Pelikano, which Sam also carries. A bit
more than you have been spending, but a lot more reliable, better
quality, and uses standard short European cartridges available
everywhere. The pen also does not dry out anywhere near as quickly as
the Sheaffer.

john cline ii, who hopes this helps

Old September 27th 03, 05:11 PM
Ghost

In article , "john cline ii"
wrote:

wrote in message
| I've been using cheap ($5) Sheaffer fountains for a number of years,
now,
| and like them just fine. Sure, the quality is variable, but at that
price,
| if one acts up, I just discard it or trade parts with another. No
problam.

| There's no way I'd pay more than $10 for a pen; I lose too many,
travelling
| around. So far as I can tell, I'd have to pay a LOT more to get
anything
| much better. And I hate fat pens. The cheap little Sheaffers can
sit in
| my shirt pocket all day without getting in the way, and they don't
make me
| feel like I'm writing with an elephant pen.
|
| The problem is, I don't seem to be able to find these pens any more.
The
| local stationery warehouses seem to have stopped carying them. The
closest
| thing the Sheaffer web site comes is something called the "Reaktor",
which
| looks like a toy.

I believe you are referring to what was commonly known as the Sheaffer
cartridge pen. They have been discontinued. The Reacktor is its sad
replacement. I would buy a supply of Sheaffer school pens, available
from Sam at Pendemonium ( http://www.pendemonium.com ). When the
current supply of those is gone, they, too, will be history.

I also strongly recommend the Pelikano, which Sam also carries. A bit
more than you have been spending, but a lot more reliable, better
quality, and uses standard short European cartridges available
everywhere. The pen also does not dry out anywhere near as quickly as
the Sheaffer.

john cline ii, who hopes this helps

There is really another way which a lot of people here seem to forget about...

You can pick up LOTS of very nice pens on ebay. I find the best pens are
the vintage pens- after all, they were made when the fountain pens was
virtually the only pen anyone wrote with. Although ballpoints have been
around for along time they were not popular back then.

I routinely pick up vintage pens on ebay for between 10-20 bucks on ebay.
Often, I get them new in box (NIB) old stock- meaning they are from
perhaps the 50's, 60's, or 70's and were never sold or used. They were
probably found in some old store's basement or something and are still in
the original wrapping, etc.

Recently I picked up a Sheaffer white dot Imperial 330 pen/rollerball set,
still in the original box, with the original price tag in it. It has the
rollerball cartridge, plus an ink cartridge and a convertor for the
fountain pen. Mint does not begin to describe the condition. I got it on
ebay for $16.50!
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=2186772 560).
Look for seller "ultra-collections". He has lots of good stuff.

There are also other modern pens on ebay- totally new- also well made, and
also averaging between 5 and 15 bucks! Look for user "u-savexpress".
Here are two items I bought from him/her
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=21916569 18)
for $8.50 and
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=21898128 47)
for $5.00. I have tried these pens and they write beautifully. I gave
them as gifts- one to my wife, the other to another women we know who
admired my fountain pen. These two pens are not fat at all (although I
prefer a little bit fatter pen for my use). In fact, I am bidding a few
of his pens right now!!! Some are as low as a buck!!!
Old September 27th 03, 07:22 PM

kcat wrote:

I don't know what model of cheap Sheaffer pen you're talking about.
There are too many. I'm not a huge fan of modern Sheaffers. if you
can determine what model you have or can post a picture of it on one
of the other forums (not here) you might be able to find more like
what you have.

Sorry, I don't know of any other fora. Could you be more specific, please?

As I said in my previous posting:

There's no way I'd pay more than $10 for a pen; I lose too many, travelling
around.

I'm a consultant to small businesses, and spend little time in my own
office. I've lost a number of pens in the last year or two and,
realistically, expect the pattern to continue. I'd happily buy them by the
box.

You might want to check with Norman Hasse at www.hisnibs.com

Thanks, I'll try that.

He carries Sheaffer School pens and might know what you're looking
for. I don't know much about them other than they're cheap and lots
of people like them for the price. And there are other cheap pens out
there that you might like. don't know what your needs are for nibs or
filler type. I would avoid the Reaktor - it has gaping holes in the
cap that make for quick ink evaporation (that's a bad thing) and the
pen hiccoughed and spit whenever it pleased.

Good advice -- thanks!

Old September 27th 03, 09:04 PM
Stephen Hust

"john cline ii" wrote:

I also strongly recommend the Pelikano, which Sam also carries.
A bit more than you have been spending, but a lot more reliable,
better quality, and uses standard short European cartridges
available everywhere.

I'd also consider the Parker Vector or, somewhat higher in price (but
still under 15 euros for the most inexpensive model), the Parker
Frontier.

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.
Old September 27th 03, 09:59 PM
john cline ii

"Stephen Hust" wrote:
| "john cline ii" wrote:
|
| I also strongly recommend the Pelikano, which Sam also carries.
| A bit more than you have been spending, but a lot more reliable,
| better quality, and uses standard short European cartridges
| available everywhere.
|
| I'd also consider the Parker Vector or, somewhat higher in price (but
| still under 15 euros for the most inexpensive model), the Parker
| Frontier.

Agreed. But then, Parker cartridges are significantly more expensive
than European cartridges. Either pen from Parker or the Pelikano can
be fit with a converter, solving that problem. The Parkers take the
slide converter, the Pelikano a Pelikan converter (duh!)...

john cline ii who hopes that helps

Old September 27th 03, 11:22 PM
Giovanni Abrate

There is a great 10 dollar fountain pen called the CGB 2500.
It will soon be available for the first time in the US, sold directly by the
importers (us!).
You can catch a review of this pen on www.pentrace.com, the pen is
comfortable to use, sturdy, well balanced and a very smooth writer.
It used standard International size cartridges.
We are distributing the pen with the firm belief that it is THE best value
for money fountain pen in the USA.
Check it out!
Regards,
Giovanni

Old September 28th 03, 01:00 AM
kcat

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:22:19 GMT, wrote:

kcat wrote:

I don't know what model of cheap Sheaffer pen you're talking about.
There are too many. I'm not a huge fan of modern Sheaffers. if you
can determine what model you have or can post a picture of it on one
of the other forums (not here) you might be able to find more like
what you have.

Sorry, I don't know of any other fora. Could you be more specific, please?

sure... check out
www.pentrace.com Specifically, there is a listing
on the market board (click on Shopping/Pen Market) by "einv" that
might be of interest to you.

also www.penlovers.com - they combine sales and discussion in one
board so you might be able to ask there for the pens you're looking
for. As others have already mentioned - the Sheaffer Cartridge Pen
seems to be what you're seeking.

As I said in my previous posting:

There's no way I'd pay more than $10 for a pen; I lose too many, travelling
around.

I'm a consultant to small businesses, and spend little time in my own
office. I've lost a number of pens in the last year or two and,
realistically, expect the pattern to continue. I'd happily buy them by the
box.

yeah - I understand. If I were losing them often I'd be more
concerned too. I don't get out much. And when I do, I don't take my
"pricier" pens - I take a CGB 2500 that I love that is a $9.95 pen.
But it's one of the few cheap pens I really enjoy using. I used to
lose pens quite a bit. it was my need for a consistently working
writing instrument when I was working (but not on travel) that drew me
to mechanical pencils and fountain pens and taught me how to hang on
to them. That and a boss that had a habit of borrowing my pencils,
coffee cups, pens...

Good luck on your search - haven't read the other replies yet but you
may have already received some good sources.

Do not rule out other pens of similar design and price (except of
course, the Reaktor :P)

You might check with "arcamax" - sorry, that's all i know it as but it
should be easy to find with a search engine. They often have great
prices on Sheaffer pens.

best,
kcat
Old September 28th 03, 01:03 AM
kcat

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:22:34 GMT, "Giovanni Abrate"
wrote:

There is a great 10 dollar fountain pen called the CGB 2500.
It will soon be available for the first time in the US, sold directly by the
importers (us!).
You can catch a review of this pen on www.pentrace.com, the pen is
comfortable to use, sturdy, well balanced and a very smooth writer.
It used standard International size cartridges.
We are distributing the pen with the firm belief that it is THE best value
for money fountain pen in the USA.
Check it out!
Regards,
Giovanni

This is the one Ken! Really it is a great pen.