Your Opinion Please, Fake Coin?

Old August 6th 05, 09:21 PM
El Vigilante

Default Your Opinion Please, Fake Coin?

FIRST this guy tried to sell a bogus 1893-S Morgan dollar on eBay that
he claimed to have gotten "in a lot of silver coins at a swap meet"
that turned out to be a phony with EXACTLY the same diagnostics as an
AG 1898-S Morgan dollar that he'd purchased on eBay 3 weeks before. If
you like, email me for absolute proof of this claim.

He closed the auction after several complaints, and then eBay wiped it
out due to "REPORTS" from concerned people.

THEN he listed a 1922 "No D" Lincoln cent that with a very poor picture
that is really impossible to analyze.

AND NOW, he has listed this 1914-D Lincoln cent that is, to me, very
suspect. I have put the pictures alongside of those of real,
certified, 14-D cents, and the "D" just doesn't look in the proper
location to me. However, I am not a Lincoln cent collector, and do not
know if there are various varieties of this coin that may be from
different obverse dies, or not.

I'd sure be interested in hearing from some of the knowledgable people
on this site as to their opinions on this coin.

Thanks,

El Vigilante

Old August 7th 05, 12:28 AM
LM5403

The link provided is to an 1873-CC trade dollar. It looks very much like the
73-77 CC copies I have.

As I am not a member of ePay I cannot search closed auctions and cannot
comment on the 1914-D.

oups.com...

Old August 7th 05, 01:06 AM
dmzcompute

LM5403 wrote:
[...]

I see no listing for a 1914D either current or completed. Are you sure
it was not already pulled or did you mix it up with the trade dollar.

Davic

Old August 9th 05, 04:18 PM
El Vigilante

Sorry, linked to wrong auction. Her's the on I was talking about,
also, he's now listed another 22 "no D", same coin or produced from
same mold.

Old August 9th 05, 04:18 PM
El Vigilante

Old August 9th 05, 04:20 PM
El Vigilante

Yup, I messed up. Here's the link:

Old August 9th 05, 06:56 PM
LM5403

Doesn't look good to me. Interesting how the left and right sides are weaker
than the middle. My first thought was acid.

ups.com...

Old August 10th 05, 12:13 AM
Bruce H (BoxTurtle)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:56:37 GMT, "LM5403" is
alleged to have written:
Doesn't look good to me. Interesting how the left and right sides are weaker
than the middle. My first thought was acid.

"El Vigilante" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry, linked to wrong auction. Her's the on I was talking about,
also, he's now listed another 22 "no D", same coin or produced from
same mold.

It's bad. Wrong reverse.

Bruce (It's supposed to be a strong reverse)

ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old August 10th 05, 08:06 AM
jeff

El Vigilante wrote:
AND NOW, he has listed this 1914-D Lincoln cent that is, to me, very
suspect. I have put the pictures alongside of those of real,
certified, 14-D cents, and the "D" just doesn't look in the proper
location to me. However, I am not a Lincoln cent collector, and do not
know if there are various varieties of this coin that may be from
different obverse dies, or not.

I can tell you for certain that the 1909S VDB run spanned several dies,
with different mint mark locations. So, at least for that issue, you
need to know all of the dies to know if a mint mark is in the wrong
place. I'd *guess* that the same situation applies to the 1914D - but I
don't know that for a fact.

Jeff