Back to brags and such

Old July 13th 03, 06:42 PM
William M. Klimon

Default Back to brags and such

A couple of recent thrift store finds--illustrating the desirability of
recent but out-of-print nonfiction:

(1) James R. Whelan, *Out of the Ashes: Life, Death and Transfiguration of
Democracy in Chile, 1833-1988* (1989) found for $1, sold for $72.50

(2) Tom Kelly, *The Season: The Chronicle of an Unforgettable Spring Turkey
Season* (1996), found for $1.59, sold for $51.

And from an online seller:

[Fr. Zephyrin Engelhardt] *Omanomineu Kachkenohamatwon Kesekoch, Katoklik
Anamihau Masenachigon* (St. Louis: B. Herder, 1882),

described by its seller as a Ojibwee missionary text is in fact likely the
first book published in Menominee, an American Indian language of the Algic
family spoken in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I got this for about half of its value. Whether to keep or sell is still an
open question.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old July 13th 03, 07:11 PM
my-wings

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message
A couple of recent thrift store finds--illustrating the desirability of
recent but out-of-print nonfiction:

(1) James R. Whelan, *Out of the Ashes: Life, Death and Transfiguration of
Democracy in Chile, 1833-1988* (1989) found for $1, sold for $72.50

(2) Tom Kelly, *The Season: The Chronicle of an Unforgettable Spring

Turkey
Season* (1996), found for $1.59, sold for $51.

Congratulations! The thrift shop has rapidly become my best friend for
finding good deals. My best so far was the Stereo Realist Manual, which is
listed in the book search engines for over $200, and seems to go on eBay for
about $30 a pop. I've picked up so many $20-$30 books, including a few
signed first editions, for 80 cents each that I've lost count! (Now if I
would only get around to selling a few of them.)

Alice

Old July 13th 03, 07:28 PM
Tom

Ive been having a good time finding books cheaply recently too - perhaps
people are having a summer clearout?

Yesterday found a signed political analysis book - to complement another I
found in Oxford - This one 80p, last one £3

Also some nice cheap £4 ebay fodder for a a few pence.

Best buy was yet another copy of 'Devils Guard' for 50p in the now closing
down Wells Book Barn - listed on ebay for £70 - will sell , they always do.
Also got 'Burnt Out Case' and 'An Instance of the Fingerpost' (thanks for
the tip William - what a great read, am looking out for Pears' other books)
for £2 and £1.50 respectively, both first eds.

Last week had great fun in a small suburb, found an Eton item, privately
printed. A GBS item that has a nice explanation of the Dauphin/T E Lawrence
parallel in Saint Joan, and a bit more ebay fodder.

A fortnight ago found some leather bound Easton press type books at an
antique store, £19 for 6. Sold 1 (I did not realize that there is so much
interest in Lizzie Borden) for £25 and one for £13. Leaving the 4 most
interesting ones for me, Nuremberg Trials, Guy Fawkes trial, Leonardo, De
Gaulle.

For selling, eBay has recently been great for me - however I am buying less.

Working 3 days a week in local used book shop during school hols, finding
stuff everyday to buy - should be saving the money but the books usually
win.

Going to the beach tomorrow - hottest day of the year?

Cheers,

'so called' Tom L-M

Old July 13th 03, 11:01 PM
Jerry Morris

Here's a few books I've recently acquired on ebay:

A Shakespeare book from the library of Paul Leicester Ford with a gift
inscription to him from his parents on his seventeenth birthday in 1882
($33.33).

A signed copy of Donald Friede's Mechanical Angel, New York,1948
($14.52). William Targ recommends the book in Indecent Pleasures. I
didn't see any signed copies listed on the web.

An 1861 Catalogue of the Library of Congress ($2.99). I now have 1861,
1864, and 1868 LOC Catalogues.

An inscribed copy of the Human Side of Bookplates by Louise Seymour
Jones, with her bookplate, Ward Ritchie Press, Ca. 1951 ($24.99). My
kind of book; tells the stories about the people behind bookplates. In
his Introduction, Lawrence Clark Powell sums up my feelings about the
books in My Sentimental Library: "An old book which bears no plate or
mark of ownership is a book only half alive. It is the touch of a man's
hand on a beloved object which bestows immortality."

Vincent Starrett's copy of Dartmouth Verse 1922-1932, Hanover, N.H.1932.
The Arts Chapbook No. 1. $10.49. Signed by Starrett on the title page.
Presentation copy from Alexander Laing:

"Scop Laing, who had fun helping to make it, sends this book to Scop
Starrett Ph.D. Dart. Hon. (Dartmouth's honorary degree in recognition of
phenomenal drinking) in partial payment of a number of very old debts,
and in hope that this too, too solid barrier of some thousand miles of
mere dirt will melt, and dissolve itself into a dew, (and may it be
mountain dew, through which we can drink to a meeting!)"

I take it "Scop" is a form of address?

Jerry Morris

(William=A0M.=A0Klimon) wrote:
A couple of recent thrift store finds--illustrating the desirability of
recent but out-of-print nonfiction:
(1) James R. Whelan, *Out of the Ashes: Life, Death and Transfiguration
of Democracy in Chile, 1833-1988* (1989) found for $1, sold for $72.50
(2) Tom Kelly, *The Season: The Chronicle of an Unforgettable Spring
Turkey Season* (1996), found for $1.59, sold for $51.
And from an online seller:
[Fr. Zephyrin Engelhardt] *Omanomineu Kachkenohamatwon Kesekoch,
Katoklik Anamihau Masenachigon* (St. Louis: B. Herder, 1882),
described by its seller as a Ojibwee missionary text is in fact likely
the first book published in Menominee, an American Indian language of
the Algic family spoken in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
I got this for about half of its value. Whether to keep or sell is still
an open question.

Welcome to My Library:
http://community-2.webtv.net/MoiBibl...OKSABOUTBOOKS/ or
www.moislibrary.com (very slow to link) and My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view

Old July 13th 03, 11:56 PM
Dan Blum

Jerry Morris wrote:

snip

Vincent Starrett's copy of Dartmouth Verse 1922-1932, Hanover, N.H.1932.
The Arts Chapbook No. 1. $10.49. Signed by Starrett on the title page.
Presentation copy from Alexander Laing:

"Scop Laing, who had fun helping to make it, sends this book to Scop
Starrett Ph.D. Dart. Hon. (Dartmouth's honorary degree in recognition of
phenomenal drinking) in partial payment of a number of very old debts,
and in hope that this too, too solid barrier of some thousand miles of
mere dirt will melt, and dissolve itself into a dew, (and may it be
mountain dew, through which we can drink to a meeting!)"

I take it "Scop" is a form of address?

It's an old word (Old English, I think) meaning "bard" or "poet" or
something like that.

Dan Blum
Old July 14th 03, 04:08 AM
Brian Thomas

I recently went a little crazy in a Dallas, TX bookstore that was going out
of business. Everything was 90 percent off but was picked through. I found
an interesting book on John Wayne Gacy called "29 Below". Figuring serial
killer books are always good fodder for ebay, I picked it up for less than a
dollar. 3 copies are listed on abe and they range from $149 to $200 and this
copy is in better shape than at least 2 of those. This one book paid for my
whole trip (I bought around 120 books for around a dollar each).

Brian Thomas

(youthinrevolt on ebay, in case you-know-who is still compiling his lawsuit)

Old July 19th 03, 04:33 PM

You people are making me envious. I've been to 4 library sales in
Vermont this summer and, in sharp contradistinction
to previous experience, have come up with
a very modest bounty. One sale I know was cherry-picked before the doors
opened, but the other three just didn't
seem to have much of value (and yes,
I was no farther back in line than fifth
in any of them). So much for lost sleep!
Grumpilly,
Dave Conford

Old July 20th 03, 12:01 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Hi Art,

Glad to see I did not waste my time on the Westport sale. I
contemplated it, however.

Art Layton wrote:

Having a similar experience: I went to a library book sale today; 50K
books - saw nothing of even slightest interest in 30 minutes of
looking.

Art Layton
Stamford CT