ambering

Old July 14th 03, 04:45 PM
marlinspike

Default ambering

"Tony Stanford" wrote in message
[fish n chips is...]

Lovely (unhealthy) stuff!

Not necessarily. I saw on TV on a show called Good Eats that with the right
oils and when prepared properly, after he made a basket of fish and chips
only 1.5 teaspoons (or something around there) of oil got used up.
Richard

Old July 20th 03, 02:46 PM
Tony Stanford

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003,11:45:36, marlinspike wrote

"Tony Stanford" wrote in message
[fish n chips is...]

Lovely (unhealthy) stuff!

Not necessarily. I saw on TV on a show called Good Eats that with the right
oils and when prepared properly, after he made a basket of fish and chips
only 1.5 teaspoons (or something around there) of oil got used up.
Richard

Yup. Trouble is, in the authentic fish 'n' chip shops here in the UK,
the traditional frying method is to use beef dripping (ie beef fat, if
'dripping' is not a term used in the US).

And, as is so often the case, the unhealthy stuff always tastes better!

Regards

Tony
--
******* email sent to this address is automatically discarded *******
************************ Please reply to the group ******************
Old July 20th 03, 03:49 PM
PENMART01

Tony Stanford writes:

Trouble is, in the authentic fish 'n' chip shops here in the UK,
the traditional frying method is to use beef dripping (ie beef fat, if
'dripping' is not a term used in the US).

In the US "beef dripping" refers to a bloke with a venereal disease.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old July 20th 03, 04:18 PM
marlinspike

"PENMART01" wrote in message
In the US "beef dripping" refers to a bloke with a venereal disease.

I have actually never heard that one. Is it for real?
Richard

Old July 20th 03, 07:34 PM
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"marlinspike" wrote:

"PENMART01" wrote in message
In the US "beef dripping" refers to a bloke with a venereal
disease.

I have actually never heard that one. Is it for real?

You've been in this newsgroup more than three weeks. Why would you
take seriously anything Sheldon writes?
Old July 20th 03, 07:57 PM
marlinspike

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message news:timmcn-
You've been in this newsgroup more than three weeks. Why would you
take seriously anything Sheldon writes?

Sometimes (rarely) he says something interesting, and he is a lot older than
me, so I figure maybe he knows some obscure things that I don't. I always
thought beef drippings is the stuff that dripps out of a burger when you put
it on a grill.
Richard

Old July 20th 03, 10:35 PM
PENMART01

"marlinspike" writes:

"Tim McNamara" wrote:
You've been in this newsgroup more than three weeks. Why would you
take seriously anything Sheldon writes?

Sometimes (rarely) he says something interesting, and he is a lot older than
me, so I figure maybe he knows some obscure things that I don't. I always
thought beef drippings is the stuff that dripps out of a burger when you put
it on a grill.

True enough... but expressions may have multiple meanings literal, figurative,
as well as slang... ie. beef could literally mean a burger, but figuratively
beef could refer to male meat, as in the slang expression "beef cake" (I'm not
going to elaborate on the association with 'dripping'). Whereas cheesecake can
be taken literally, something good to eat, and figuratively... um, also
something good to eat. hehe

Btw, most normal brained human beings are proficient in something, but to date
Tim hasn't demonstrated an expertise level in anything, nor has he contributed
anything whatsoever worthwile to this Newsgroup, not unless some appreciate the
propagation of hate and discontent. Tim is a taker/user/abuser.. obviously a
needs-a-life dreck.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
Tony Stanford

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003,14:49:25, PENMART01 wrote

In the US "beef dripping" refers to a bloke with a venereal disease.

ROFL! That could cause some misunderstandings in UK restaurants!

Tony