Sheaffer Violet vs Purple

Old July 14th 03, 07:58 PM
Edward Bonaventure

Default Sheaffer Violet vs Purple

On 13 Jul 2003 at 22:12:03 GMT, Dik F. Liu scribbled:
-This code ensures that the pigments confirmed to the ASTM standard
-of that pigment.

That pretty much answers the question. It sounds like those
designations should be truer to the "old-fashioned" names for colors,
unlike the "warm and fuzzy" names prevalent in commercial and popu-
lar-culture spheres of life nowadays.
david moeser -- erasmus39 on yahoo
Censornati, Ohio - USA

* Philately will get you nowhere! *

(Headers munged to foil spammers; real info in taglines)

Old July 15th 03, 12:19 AM
Dik F. Liu

In article Pine.GSO.4.56.0307141205020.20506@shell1, Edward Bonaventure
writes:

That also appears to aptly describe the
poster, who says he "teach[es] a color theory course in two uni-
versities."

My usage of "professor" was an honorific, intended to politely
honor the poster. (That may be old-fashioned, but that's tough!)

Thanks, that's very kind of you.

Dik
Old July 15th 03, 12:19 AM
Dik F. Liu

In article Pine.GSO.4.56.0307141123520.20506@shell1, Edward Bonaventure
writes:

It sounds like those
designations should be truer to the "old-fashioned" names for colors,
unlike the "warm and fuzzy" names prevalent in commercial and popu-
lar-culture spheres of life nowadays.

Listing the pigments is important because two colors can look exactly the same
in mass tone, but have completely different behaviors in mixtures. These
pigment names ensure that those who use the paints know what they are getting.
Many designers use Pantone system to specify colors, in which each color has a
distinct code. I am not sure about the "warm and fuzzy" names. I imagine that
they are geared toward a different market.

Dik
Old July 22nd 03, 04:30 AM
JimL

Someone in this thread (I couldn't find the original source to quote)
said purple is more blue-ish, and violet is more red-ish. Isn't it
really the other way around?

At least in the inks I have tried (purple and burgundy being my two
eccentric standards), the purple is lighter (closer to red) and violet
darker (closer to blue). Think of the flowers called violets.

Yes, Skrip changed their color, and it's a really light watery shade.
I gave mine away. I think they called it purple - I don't remember.

And in another secret identity, ecclesiastical vestments I
occasionally don, the seasonal colors of Advent and Lent are violet -
definitely to the dark blue end fo the spectrum - while the color
reserved for bishops is called purple - definitely closer to red in
hue.

But then in my weekday mode, dealing with academic regalia (more
medieval costumes and from the same source traditions) there is the
difference between scarlet (the color on the outside trim of the
doctoral hood signifying a theology degree) versus crimson (the color
lining the hood representing the school, such as Harvard). I think
the scarlet is a bit lighter or brighter (unless her last name is
O'Hara).

I have seen some clergy/professors in academic procession wearing the
theology hood over the ordination stole (not really proper), and the
contrast in color shades is noticeable. I can just imagine somebody
adding to that the bishop's purple biretta in place of the mortarboard
(also not proper), and then if their doctoral degree was from the
University of Chicago the robe would be an ugly dusty rose color --
yikes!

But those are all different shades of red-purple, all different from
violet (blue with a red tinge).

I used to think the human brain was a marvelous thing,
until I realized where that thought came from.