cant find new coin rolls?

Old August 25th 04, 06:09 AM
britt

Default cant find new coin rolls?

i was wondering if anyone had any tips on being able to get new rolls
of uncirculated coins from the bank or elsewhere? ive been to my banks
and called or gone to every other bank in our phonebook. and they all
either say they can't order coins and if they do they only get the
mixed circulated rolls, or they don't ever order rolled coins because
they get plenty from their customers. only one bank even said they
would order anything for me, the bank i have my business account
through, but only bags of 4,000 nickels or 4000 quarters etc.

anyway by some odd chance an older lady came into our store today and
after paying she asked to look if we had any state quarters she was
missing, after talking with her she had 2 rolls of uncirculated
keelboat nickels in her purse that her son had gotten her at the bank
(in another part of the country) and she didnt want them because she
didnt collect nickels.

so far my conclusion is that it has something to do with location?
either being closer to larger cities or closer to main Brinks
locations etc.? when we lived in Naples, FL we were able to find the
clear wrapped Brinks rolls of new coins fairly easily at our bank,
maybe because of the Brinks location in Ft Meyers about 45 mins away?

thanks in advance for any responses.
never posted to usenet before, this should be interesting!

-- britt
Old August 25th 04, 02:13 PM
Jerry Dennis

Britt, it may have something to do with Florida in general. I provide
Statehood Quarters to a collector in Jupiter, FL since it seems he can't get
any of them in uncirculated condition, regardless of mint. Now this doesn't
imply everybody in FL is out of luck; perhaps just some selected areas.

FWIW, my father lives in a large metro area in NJ (pop 50,000+ in his town
alone) and he's in the same situation as you, except the local banks there will
order new coins for you provided you buy the entire box/bag and pay the $30+
shipping. Guess who provides his rolls? :-)

Jerry

Old August 25th 04, 02:43 PM
bri

"britt" wrote in message
[...]

Usually only the very largest of banks get thier coinage directly from the
US Mint. So your best bet is to find a very large national bank branch
office and check there.
Coinstar is killing the need for any bank to order any new coins so that's
another reason why you have a hard time finding uncirculated rolls from a
bank. No need to order new coins when banks have just tons of previously
hoarded coins being cashed in at Coinstars. The next couple of years the US
Mint is going to have to cut back on total mntages due to the glut of coins
or they risk raising inflation.
The trick is to get in tight with a teller and have her keep an eye out for
you. Or you could just order them directly from the US Mint and pay a
whopping premium. There are also a ton of E-bay retailers who sell both P
and D MM for around a buck.
HTH

Old August 25th 04, 05:48 PM
Dave Allured

britt wrote:

i was wondering if anyone had any tips on being able to get new rolls
of uncirculated coins from the bank or elsewhere? ive been to my banks
and called or gone to every other bank in our phonebook. and they all
either say they can't order coins and if they do they only get the
mixed circulated rolls, or they don't ever order rolled coins because
they get plenty from their customers. only one bank even said they
would order anything for me, the bank i have my business account
through, but only bags of 4,000 nickels or 4000 quarters etc.

1, keep trying different banks, including bank branches. You may now
need to try banks in other towns if your occasional travels take you
there. 2, try to speak with the head teller or a manager. 3, focus on
commercial banks, sometimes their turnover is so large that they are a
natural feed for new releases. 4, always be polite on every contact,
even in the face of infuriating stupidity.

Getting uncirc. rolls is a spotty proposition. Some banks get uncirc
rolls by chance, others by voluntary participation in new issue coin
promotions, mainly the state quarter program. Your best luck is with a
participating bank when you can find them.

In order for a bank to do this, two ingredients are required: willing
management, and a participating cash service (armored car services like
Loomis Fargo etc.). The enlightened banks participate simply because of
customer apprecation; there is no other motive. They must be
congradulated.

I am fortunate enough to have a local bank that will consistently get me
new issue rolls without fuss or surcharge. First Bank, Boulder,
Colorado. They don't keep stock of older issues, and they can only get
Denver mint marks. We are currently anticipating Keelboat nickels and
Iowa quarters to come through the pipe in the next few weeks. HTH.

--Dave
Old August 25th 04, 07:45 PM
frank wight

britt wrote in message . ..
[...]

In the last six months I've gone thru over 80,000 coins
from the local bank(s). Sometimes I get nothing but BU
2004's, but usually not. It's a real crap-shoot, but it's
worth it to keep trying.