Can a bank refuse you if you request specific denominations?

Old May 29th 04, 06:50 PM
PCameron

Default Can a bank refuse you if you request specific denominations?

I went to my local branch bank in Minneapolis to deposit a check. On my way
to the bank I got the idea to buy a box of quarters. I was not going to
request a specific box; rather just take what they give me and see what I
find. Maybe I will find some uncirculated state quarters or if I am real
lucky old silver quarters.

I deposited my paycheck and asked to buy a box of silver quarters.

The teller blinked as asked, "A box?"

"Yes", I said.

"$100 dollars?", asked the teller.

"Yes.", I answered.

Then to my utter amazement the teller asked, "What do you want them for?"

I said, "Excuse me?"

She rephrased the question. "Are you a business?"

"No. ", I answered. "I am a collector."

She then went to talk to someone who was in the vault. When the teller came
back she said, "I'm sorry we can only sell a box of quarters if you are a
business."

I asked her which branch I could go to in order to buy a box of quarters.

"I don't think any TCF branches sell boxes of quarters to non-businesses"

"Really?" I asked with animated skepticism in my voice. I gave the girl a
sideways knowing glance.

The teller apologized and said there was not a manager working on Saturday.
I could possibly buy some if I talked to the manager.

I left the bank in disbelief.

Was this totally wrong or what?

--
CIA DEA DIA FBI KGB NSA WMD TLA

Old May 29th 04, 07:01 PM
MarkR

"PCameron" wrote in message
[...]

That does sound funny, but can you imagine if every person that wanted to
search rolls asked to buy a box of whatever denomination they wanted?
Businesses do get priority, but she shouldn't have turned you away like
that. Just my $0.02 of course.

Mark

--
CIA DEA DIA FBI KGB NSA WMD TLA

Old May 29th 04, 07:29 PM
Edward McGrath

The lady teller didn't want to carry the box of quarters from the vault.
Some women are very lazy by nature. Ed

Old May 29th 04, 07:33 PM
PCameron

"Andrew W Applegarth" wrote in message
.. .
"PCameron" wrote in
:

I deposited my paycheck and asked to buy a box of silver quarters.

Talk about wishful thinking...

Oops. I asked to buy a box of quarters. I did not say silver. I only
typed it. :-)

Old May 29th 04, 07:33 PM
Andrew W Applegarth

"PCameron" wrote in
:

I deposited my paycheck and asked to buy a box of silver quarters.

Talk about wishful thinking...

- Andrew W Applegarth
Old May 29th 04, 07:37 PM
SJCOHEN730

The teller apologized and said there was not a manager working on Saturday.
I could possibly buy some if I talked to the manager.

I left the bank in disbelief.

Was this totally wrong or what?

Of course this was totally wrong. Unfortunately even bank employees are not
aware of the law. They sometimes take it upon themselves to make decisions
which they should not make. If you had told the employee that you would return
on Monday and report to the manager that she had not allowed you to have $100
in quarters, my guess is she would have changed her position "on the spot" and
you would have had what you came in for. Steve
Old May 29th 04, 08:04 PM
Crow T Robot

On a saturday I can see her saying no since a lot of business will want
quaters for the weekend this being a holiday makes it even worse since most
business will stock up on them. Try going back during the week I'll bet
they give them to you....

Old May 29th 04, 08:45 PM
Cliff

"PCameron" wrote in message
[...]

One thing that works for me is I ask for rolls and they say how many
and I say, well, whatever you can spare up to 100 dollars worth. I
usually get what I want. When you ask for a box they are probably
figuring you want a box of rolls and aren't willing to take the 10
loose rolls that they could give you.
It's all in how you ask the question a lot of times.
Cliff