Tell your favorite IP story

Old December 19th 03, 02:38 AM
TaylorEhill

Default Tell your favorite IP story

In this thread.
Old December 19th 03, 03:24 AM
dahoov2

I can count the in persons I've had... not many. Aside from t
conventions, I have only met the following:
Nichelle Nichols -Star Trek
Apolo Anton Ohno-(Olympic Speed skating gold medal winner)
Amanda Bynes
Amy Wyn (Trading spaces)
Jerry Seinfeld
Davy Jones (yeah, the Monkees)
Ben Jones (Cooter Dukes of Hazzard)
John Amos
and a couple authors...local radio personalities and local celebs.

I have seen celebs and NOT asked for autographs.

Of those listed, my two favorites were Ben Jones,
Apolo Anton Ohno and Seinfeld. Just because... they took time under
not the best circumstances. Seinfeld when he was in a rush and it was
FREEZING out and Apollo because he was sick and did it anyway without
refusal...

Ben Jones though was the absolute best, telling us stories and talking
to us like we were his buddies... just a genuine guy with a heart of
gold.

My worst was Davy Jones. I had to actually chase him and he didn't
seem thrilled to sign. He still seemed to act like he was in his 20's
and thinks all the girls love him...

On 19 Dec 2003 02:38:11 GMT, (TaylorEhill) wrote:

In this thread.

Old December 19th 03, 05:26 AM
The Face In The Mirror

"TaylorEhill" wrote in message
In this thread.

the previosly mentioned Greg Kinnear Story..

we were having a familly reunion and in he walked.. turns out he is like a
distant cousin of mine. we hit it off great and the other day he sent me a
sh*tload of stuff

Old December 19th 03, 01:32 PM
Bjwebb3749

I have a couple of favorites that I can think of:

1. Alan Ruck - best known for "Spin City" and "Ferris Beuller's Day Off". I met
him at a convention and we talked about "Spin City" for a while. Then, I chose
a photo of him from "Young Guns 2" and asked him to sign it and put under his
name "famous Hollywood actor". He looked a little surprised for a moment and
said "Are you sure about that?" and I said "yes". So he signed his name. Then
he stopped and said, "Are you really certain about this?" And I said, "Yes, go
ahead." So he wrote it. While he was writing he said, "I've never had anyone
ask me to do this before!"

2. Brent Stait - formerly Rev Bem on Andromeda. I am getting all cast members
of Andromeda to sign a 1st season press kit that I own. As a favor to me,
Kevin Sorbo and Keith Hamilton Cobb had signed both their photos inside and the
front cover. Laura Bertram had only signed her photo inside. The assistant
furnished to her by the convention said "Only one autograph" and Laura Bertram
wouldn't contradict her, even though the two guys did for their assistants. I
met with Brent Stait as he was setting up at the convention and his assistant
hadn't shown up yet. He signed his photo inside the press kit and as he was
closing it up he noticed the two signatures on the front cover. He asked "Do I
need to sign the front, too?" I told him he didn't and explained the situation
with Kevin Sorbo, Keith Hamilton Cobb, and Laura Bertram and I started to take
the press kit back. He said to me, "I don't have an assistant. Give it to
me." And he took it back and signed it again. Nice guy.
BJ
http://bjwebb3749.tripod.com/bjscelebritysigns/

Old December 19th 03, 05:00 PM
Bcoton

I'm with Dahoov, I've seen a bunch of celebs (Reese Witherspoon, Nicholas Cage,
Sly Stallone, Melanie Griffith etc) but I am not going to bother them on their
private time. If that makes me a 'bad' collector, so be it.

I did have a chance to meet Mike Myers, way before Austin Powers. He was with
his wife. Such a great guy.
Old December 19th 03, 08:46 PM
Tommy \2Lipz\

This is one of my favorites. I've a few, it's hard to say which would be the
ultimate. Although, this one and the "Big Boobs" story from Kathryn Grayson
are in my top 10.

I met Jane Withers at the HCS in LA. She was known as "Josphine the Plumber"
in a series of 1960's commercials for Comet cleanser. Her early career as a
child actress of the 30's has been forgotten but by few die hard movie buffs
(like me). She played very anti-Shirley Temple type roles. As with most
child stars her career stalled to a halt as she out grew the cute and she
was never the knock out beauty that Hollywood has always desired,

Anyway... met her when she wasn't too busy at her table. We were talking a
bit about her movies as I was looking over her photo selection. I asked her
if she ever did a lip print. She said nobody had asked for that item in
years, in fact not since she attended Canteen during the war years. She was
16-18 years old then and had a chaperone or a studio assistant attended
w/her. I told her that I understood that a signed lip print was something
that the stars did for the servicemen at the time. She laughed that they
went ga-ga over that. We had a good +40 minutes of gab time where she
reminiced about those times. Stories of the studio stars, music, dancing and
the good times she had with the guys that she knew would soon be shipping
out to war. She said there were times she'd take balls of yarn and could
knit 2-3 scarves a night to give to the "boys". I got a great ISP, the lip
print (she did a great hit) and the memory of our encounter.

I wouldn't trade a dinner w/Madonna for an opportunity to get a snapshot
view of the Golden period of Hollywood as told by someone that was there.
The older celebs will give that time to a sincere fan, the modern celeb
wouldn't give you the time of day. Most of the time it's "Hi - yeah -
thanks - that'll be $20 - next..."

--
Tommy "2Lipz"
See my website http://lipprint.tripod.com

Old December 20th 03, 02:35 AM
rayfulton

I have three favorites, and have had the great fortune to meet hundreds of
Sports stars and many celebrities. My life has been blessed by these
opportunities.

Bob Hope - I had the pleasure to meet Bob Hope several times over the last
25 years and was always treated great and found him very friendly. Once in
Danville, PA Mr. Hope was appearing at the Bloomsburg Fair. My wife and I
went to the hotel and were the only people there. We got out of our car and
walked over to this limousine. We thought it was empty and my wife was
trying to look through the dark colored glass and the window rolls down and
there is Bob Hope smiling, and chuckling at her. My wife was startled and
embarrassed. My wife said I am so nervous. Mr. Hope responded and said I'm
just a normal guy like everyone. He signed 4 items for us. The other time
I was alone with Bob Hope was in Allentown, PA. He had finished a show at
Lehigh University and I was at the Allentown Hilton when his limo pulled up.
It was about 11:30 at night. I got him to sign several items . He then
asked me if there was someplace he could get a sandwich or meal. I said
there was only one place open at that time of night about two blocks up the
street. He asked could I please show him where it was. I was stunned and
said sure. He went up to his room for a few minutes and then returned to
the lobby and I had the chance to walk two blocks chatting with one of the
greatest entertainers in American History. We got to the front of the
Diner, He said thanks we shook hands and I walked back to my car.

Ted Williams- My hometown in Central PA has a community sports show every
year. They have had many of the greats from the world of sports as guests,
Clemente, Aaron, Mays, Reggie Jackson, Jim Brown, Jesse Owens. Over the
years I have developed a friendship with one of the directors. In the late
1980's they had Ted Williams appear. Several events go on through out the
day. I went to all of them and got Mr. Williams to sign about 4 times. As
I am going to my seat, my friend comes over and said Ted is stopping by his
house after the show, and to come on over. There were about a dozen people
there with Ted Williams. One of my friends from work told me that his grand
father was a fishing buddy with Ted and they met in Canada every year. I
asked him about this and sure enough it was true. He took a liking to my
wife and I and this group chatted with the greatest hitter ever for over an
hour. He sat there signing autographs as he chatted. I got him 15 times
that night. What a nice guy he was in a private setting.

Muhammed Ali- When Ali trained at Deer Lake in Central PA this was a
wonderful experience. You could go see him spar at 1:00 every afternoon for
one dollar. What a bargain. After his workout he would come out and do
magic tricks, chat and sign autographs. I went several times and got him to
sign several items each time. You never knew who was going to be there. I
saw Dick Cavett one time, Boxers Willie Pep and Archie Moore another. It
was incredible to sit 15 feet from the ring and see him move and jab, and
then to get to chat with him and his staff. Angelo Dundee and Bundinin
Brown were also very nice.

Old December 20th 03, 11:21 AM
Bill Plenge

My favorite IP was at my first Star Trek Convention in the early 80's.
Folks who know me from the group know I got started with autograph
collecting by collecting Star Trek autographs, this was my first one. The
promoters never ran a convention before and it showed. They had about
triple the attendence they expected so the place was extremely crowded.
They scheduled the show to end at the time they were to vacate the rooms, so
when the dealers were closed they need to pack up early and be out by then
it put them in a surly mood which became kind of catchy by the attendees.
The talk by the guest, James "Scotty" Doohan, was a couple hours before
closing and it was apparent he'd not have time to sign autographs for
everyone as promised. As the day progressed it appeared when this con
closed there was going to be a riot.

Mr. Doohan and the promoters came up with a solution. They talked to the
hotel management and asked to move his autograph signing to the lobby and
continue it after the shows end. In return Mr. Doohan agreed to sign for
all the Hotel Guests who wanted his autograph.

So after about 4 hours in line my (now ex) wife and I made it to Mr. Doohan
for our autographs. I handed him my Star Trek Technical manual opened to
the cover page for the Engineering section and he asked, "Who should I sign
it to?" After the crowd, irate dealers and 4 hours in mind I was not in the
best of moods and replied something along the lines of, "I don't care, just
sign it." He smiled and said how he likes to personalize items to the fans
he meets to make the meeting more memorable. Suddenly a little light bulb
goes on, I've had a bad day, but his must've been 10 times worse yet he
still took the time to have a few words with a fan and try to make their day
a little better. I apologized that I was terse and received my autograph.
My wife had her Star Trek Blue Prints signed and we set in for the 3 hour
ride home marking the con as a positive experience (It was the first trek
con for both of us.)

If not for Mr. Doohan being such a gentlemen we'd likely have never returned
to that convention in the future and missed having a long talk with
DeForrest "Bones" Kelly (Who didn't sign due to arthritis, but gave address
cards to send him an item at so he could sign at his leisure, also sold some
autographed items I bouth signed booklets of his poems the Big Bird's Dream
and The Big Birds Dream Revisited for $5 ea) and seeing Bill "I am God"
Shatner, who was a last minute replacement when Leonard Nimoy canceled as a
result he flew in, gave a talk and ran for the airport.

Best,
Bill

Old December 20th 03, 01:05 PM
Bjwebb3749

I remember those days in the early 80's at the Star Trek conventions. Those
actors (especially James Doohan) would sign multiple items for free. That was
an awful long time ago