Best current grading service

Old March 19th 09, 11:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sara Brown

Default Best current grading service

Hello. I use to be heavily involved in coin collecting long ago but
slowly moved away from the hobby. I sold most of my stuff but kept a
few favorites. I have an 1877 Indian Head cent that is probably VG8 or
10 condition and is problem free..I would like to get it professionaly
graded and encapsulated so it will be easier to sell on Ebay one day
should I pass away unexpectedly and my spouse wishes to sell it (Or
should I fall on hard times). Which of the current grading services
are considered the top and have the respect that if someone in the
hobby sees their name on a "slabbed" coin they will buy it more
readily?..Thanks in advance
Old March 19th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Hairgrove

Sara Brown wrote:
Hello. I use to be heavily involved in coin collecting long ago but
slowly moved away from the hobby. I sold most of my stuff but kept a
few favorites. I have an 1877 Indian Head cent that is probably VG8 or
10 condition and is problem free..I would like to get it professionaly
graded and encapsulated so it will be easier to sell on Ebay one day
should I pass away unexpectedly and my spouse wishes to sell it (Or
should I fall on hard times). Which of the current grading services
are considered the top and have the respect that if someone in the
hobby sees their name on a "slabbed" coin they will buy it more
readily?..Thanks in advance

PCGS or NGC. There are others, but these two seem to command the most
respect among collectors and dealers alike.
Old March 19th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Robert Hairgrove" wrote in message
Sara Brown wrote:
Hello. I use to be heavily involved in coin collecting long ago but
slowly moved away from the hobby. I sold most of my stuff but kept a
few favorites. I have an 1877 Indian Head cent that is probably VG8
or
10 condition and is problem free..I would like to get it
professionaly
graded and encapsulated so it will be easier to sell on Ebay one day
should I pass away unexpectedly and my spouse wishes to sell it (Or
should I fall on hard times). Which of the current grading services
are considered the top and have the respect that if someone in the
hobby sees their name on a "slabbed" coin they will buy it more
readily?..Thanks in advance

PCGS or NGC. There are others, but these two seem to command the most
respect among collectors and dealers alike.

PCGS coins seem to fetch higher prices than NGC coins, all things being
equal.

Old March 19th 09, 08:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Mar 19, 7:43*am, Sara Brown wrote:
Hello. I use to be heavily involved in coin collecting long ago but
slowly moved away from the hobby. I sold most of my stuff but kept a
few favorites. I have an 1877 Indian Head cent that is probably VG8 or
10 condition and is problem free..I would like to get it professionaly
graded and encapsulated so it will be easier to sell on Ebay one day
should I pass away unexpectedly and my spouse wishes to sell it (Or
should I fall on hard times). Which of the current grading services
are considered the top and have the respect that if someone in the
hobby sees their name on a "slabbed" coin they will buy it more
readily?..Thanks in advance

I agree with Bob. PCGS is generally much stricter in grading than NGC
in my experience, and auction results generally show significantly
higher prices realized than NGC certified coins. Comparing prices of
lower grade circulated coins, there's not much difference. In high
grade unc coins, however, the premium for PCGS graded coins, in both
modern coins and coins as well as earlier dates, the premium paid for
PCGS graded coins is often quite dramatic.

Ira
Old March 19th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Ira" wrote in message
[...]

Late date MS70 Roosevelt dimes graded by PCGS normally sell for almost
twice what NGC examples fetch.
I have examples of both and can't find any difference in condition.

Old March 20th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"RWF" wrote in message

Late date MS70 Roosevelt dimes graded by PCGS normally sell for almost
twice what NGC examples fetch.
I have examples of both and can't find any difference in condition.

I have noticed the same thing with modern commems. The PCGS are usually a
few dollars higher but I have come across numerous examples where the NGC
coins are as good or better than equally graded PCGS examples.

Old March 20th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 19, 3:05�pm, Ira wrote:
[...]

As usual, Ira is right that PCGS is a better grading service, that
their
slabs command higher market value, and that they are stricter graders.

Paradoxically, from the point of view of someone who wishes to have a
coin slabbed just to sell it, in the long run you are better off to
submit to
NGC, because you may get a better grade. A VG-10 in an NGC holder
will sell for more than a VG-8 in a PCGS holder.

Grading Service BS Jorg Lueke Coins 8 January 23rd 08 03:11 AM
New Coin Grading Service: Universal Grading Service LLC FUBAR Coins 1 March 17th 06 09:34 PM
Yet another grading service... Larry Louks Coins 11 January 16th 05 01:35 AM
ICG Grading Service Ira Stein Coins 3 August 16th 04 08:25 PM
New Grading Service? Davey Coins 4 April 10th 04 10:00 PM