MS65?

Old March 26th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default MS65?

No distracting marks? Can you say "please dip me"? Or something.
Personally, I'd like a bit more eye appeal in my MS65's. I presume PCGS's
"market grading" didn't apply here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-Barber-Dime...7C240%3 A1318

Old March 26th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
No distracting marks? Can you say "please dip me"? Or something.
Personally, I'd like a bit more eye appeal in my MS65's. I presume PCGS's
"market grading" didn't apply here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-Barber-Dime...7C240%3 A1318

Probably dipped and improperly rinsed then turned after slabbing.

Steve

Old March 26th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Richard L. Hall

It seems to me that this type of mottled toning is typical of coins that
were once dipped and are retoning.

On the other hand, this type of toning, while it looks terrible in a
picture, can be breathtaking when seen in person. I purchased a 1943
Canadian quarter on EBay that looked terrible in the picture but incredibly
beautiful when I saw it in person. Pictures often don't tell the whole
story.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

Old March 26th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Krummel

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
No distracting marks? Can you say "please dip me"? Or something.
Personally, I'd like a bit more eye appeal in my MS65's. I presume PCGS's
"market grading" didn't apply here.

But, maybe without the toning it was a 67. If so, then "market grading" did
apply.

Bill

Old March 27th 09, 12:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Bill Krummel" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
No distracting marks? Can you say "please dip me"? Or something.
Personally, I'd like a bit more eye appeal in my MS65's. I presume
PCGS's "market grading" didn't apply here.

But, maybe without the toning it was a 67. If so, then "market grading"
did apply.

Bill

Now that's thinking outside the slab!

Old March 28th 09, 11:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank[_3_]

That's actually old original toning which some collectors like.
Dipped coins that are improperly
rinsed retone looking like they have coffee stains.

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES www.frankcoins.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/frankcoins Texas Auction License

Old March 28th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Frank" wrote in message
That's actually old original toning which some collectors like.
Dipped coins that are improperly
rinsed retone looking like they have coffee stains.

I don't believe that toning is "original". We all know what an original
silver coin looks like. It's what happens during its life time that affects
how a coin will look fifty years hence. It's like claiming that a foxed
early document has "original toning". THIS particular coin looks like it
was exposed sequentially to settled fly ash, morning dew, and the noonday
sun. Makes for a colorful story, but a butt-ugly coin. Hard to imagine any
collector seeking coins that look like that with the intention of displaying
them that way.

FA: 1c No Reserve 1879 S PCGS MS65 & 1885 O "BASS" ICG MS65 Morgan Dollars [email protected] Coins 0 April 13th 06 10:46 PM
This is MS65? stonej Coins 9 July 4th 05 09:14 PM
FA: 1898o pcgs ms65 PL $1 /1971 s anacs ms65 1c no res Michael R Coins 0 June 24th 05 12:06 AM
ms65??? BigDog Coins 9 June 23rd 05 09:35 PM
FA: 1854-O Arrows Liberty Half, 1885-O NGC MS65 Morgan, 1904-O Morgan PCGS MS64, 1804 Half Cent, 1886 Morgan MS65 Toned,1880-O Morgan PCI AU55, 1866 3-cent nickel, AND MORE.. P. Nichols Coins 4 June 27th 04 08:18 PM