Rarity of clover-holed tokens

Old March 15th 09, 08:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brainstormer

Default Rarity of clover-holed tokens

When I first got this, I didn't know what the scarcity of the clover
shape hole was,
but I thought it might be a common pattern.

But when I did a search, I didn't find too many, so just checking
here.

Here is my example:

http://www.paramind.net/ebay/Token_B...ade_Nome_1.jpg

Do you see many of these patterns around?

Thanks for any help.

Robert
Old March 19th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:36:27 -0700 (PDT), Brainstormer
wrote:

When I first got this, I didn't know what the scarcity of the clover
shape hole was,
but I thought it might be a common pattern.

But when I did a search, I didn't find too many, so just checking
here.

Here is my example:

http://www.paramind.net/ebay/Token_B...ade_Nome_1.jpg

Do you see many of these patterns around?

Thanks for any help.

Was it made that way or was the hole punched later?

I have a penny (1993 I think), received as a gift, with a clover
shaped punched out. It was sold as a good luck piece.
Old March 19th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roger Hunt

In article , Jon Purkey
writes
wrote:

When I first got this, I didn't know what the scarcity of the clover
shape hole was,
but I thought it might be a common pattern.

But when I did a search, I didn't find too many, so just checking
here.

Here is my example:

http://www.paramind.net/ebay/Token_B...ade_Nome_1.jpg

Do you see many of these patterns around?

Thanks for any help.

Was it made that way or was the hole punched later?

I have a penny (1993 I think), received as a gift, with a clover
shaped punched out. It was sold as a good luck piece.

I wonder if anyone has assembled a collection of tragically defaced
rarities? (Pieces possibly obtained for little money)
--
Roger Hunt
Old March 20th 09, 11:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Mar 15, 4:36 pm, Brainstormer wrote:
... I didn't know what the scarcity of the clover shape hole was,

The clover is one of several standard punches. I do not know Alaskan
tokens, but I placed an educational exhibit on coal mine tokens.
Tokens could be made this way at the factory or punched later. The
point was to have a control. With coal mines, there could be
different towns and even if the stores were owned by the same company,
the tokens would not be good in different towns.

The standard reference is ALASKA TOKENS by Ronald J. Benice (Lake
Mary: Token and Medal Society, 1994). Your local librarian may be
able to get it via ILL (inter-library loan) from a consortium.

According to the state of Alaska's government website (featuring Sarah
Palin), there is an active token collecting club.
"Richard (Dick) Hanscom is originally from Newburyport, Mass. and a
graduate of the University of Maine at Orono. He and his wife Janice
were married in 1974 and arrived in Fairbanks that same year. A
professional numismatist since 1976, he is currently a partner in
Alaska Rare Coins in Fairbanks. He has published the newsletter
"Alaskan Token Collector & Polar Numismatist" since 1979, for which he
received a special award from the Alaska Historical Society in 2000.
He is the author of the book "Alaska & Yukon Stocks and Bonds,"
published in 2002. Alaska has a rich numismatic (coins, currency,
tokens, medals, stocks and bonds) history. It is his hope that the
Alaska state quarter will be a significant addition to that legacy."
http://www.dced.state.ak.us/alaska_c...on_members.htm

Down here in the Lower 48, Kaye Dethridge and his wife maintain this
website:
http://www.alaskatokens.com/

According to Virtual Tourist:
"Of the half dozen or so bars in Nome, the Board of Trade Saloon is
the oldest. When It opened, in 1900, a reviewer described the
"handsome fixtures, as rich looking as though they had been the work
of artists."
(Doubleclick on the image and it blows up to a nice snapshot of the
Saloon.)
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Nome-BR-1.html

Learn a bit more he
MacBride Museum, Whitehorse, Yukon
http://www.macbridemuseum.com/collec...Recordset1=182

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Token -- but not inhalin'
Votin' for Sarah Palin
in 20-12,"
Old March 25th 09, 08:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brainstormer

Alaska state quarter will be a significant addition to that legacy."http://www.dced.state.ak.us/alaska_coin_commission_members.htm

Down here in the Lower 48, Kaye Dethridge and his wife maintain this
website:http://www.alaskatokens.com/

According to Virtual Tourist:
"Of the half dozen or so bars in Nome, the Board of Trade Saloon is
the oldest. When It opened, in 1900, a reviewer described the
"handsome fixtures, as rich looking as though they had been the work
of artists."
(Doubleclick on the image and it blows up to a nice snapshot of the
Saloon.)http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...ed_States_of_A...

Learn a bit more he
MacBride Museum, Whitehorse, Yukonhttp://www.macbridemuseum.com/collection/imageDisp.php?pageNum_Record...

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Token -- but not inhalin'
Votin' for Sarah Palin
in 20-12,"

Thanks for the great links.

After all the wonderful scholarly information, I always feel so greedy
when I still am wondering, "I wonder what it is worth." =)

Of course, how can one put a price on historical objects (good ad
copy).

And, how does one ever ask that question without feeling like the
world
record limbo champ.

Robert

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Holed bustie Reid Goldsborough Coins 1 August 26th 06 10:56 PM
Holed coins Tony Cooper Coins 6 May 2nd 06 03:57 PM
FA: Exonumia, Counterstamps, 'Good Fors', Billiards Tokens, Magic Tokens, Military Medals and more Josh Moran Coins 0 February 10th 06 04:59 PM
Holed coin. note.boy Coins 8 June 5th 05 06:22 AM
FA: Communion Tokens, Hawaiian Tokens & Medals SiCordova Coins 0 September 14th 04 09:19 PM