Pocket jewelry...

Old July 6th 03, 01:30 PM

Default Pocket jewelry...

I have two, or at least had two, of the CE pens and they write very well;
better than several of my far more expensive pens. The reason I say "had"
two of them, a very good friend tried one of mine and loved it; it is now
hers.

I would not spend more on the 18k nib, the difference will primarily be
cosmetic. If you have to send the nib out for tuning, you are wasting
money; it should write well from the factory or be adjusted at no charge.
If there is an issue new, it will probably be because of residual "crud"
from the manufacturing process; a search of the archives
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...g.pens-pencils
will turn up effective methods to combat this problem.

Enjoy,
Larry

On 6-Jul-2003, (Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport)
wrote:

It's OK, because in the time since, I've discovered the Cesare
Emiliano Cassiopia. I don't think any of the "big names," the 300-900
dollar pens, are as lovely to behold. I've got my heart set on either
the red veined or the amber mosaic model with gold appointments.

How well do these pens write? For while I doubt it will see the use
that my Filcao does on a daily basis, when I need it to write, I will
need it to perform and flawlessly as I etch a name and cell number on
the back of a business card, or jot a note, or scribble out a poem, or
sign a museum guestbook.

Is there any benefit to spending the extra money on the 18k gold
nib... and should I send it to someone like Richard Binder to have the
nib tuned and modified? All told, even if I spend $200 on pen, gold
nib and custom work, it will be a bargain compared to an Omas or
Montegrappa. If I only spend $90 on the standard pen because the
extras aren't worth it, even better.

Old July 6th 03, 01:33 PM
Giovanni Abrate

Matt,
have you looked at the Kosmos by Bruno?
They are large pens made in a visually stunning resin and the nibs (by
Mutschler) are the smoothest steel nibs I have ever used.
They are more substantial than the CE (which are good pens in their own
right), but the main difference is the buttery smoothness of the nib and the
flawless ink flow.
Worth checking out and I understand that they will be reviewed in the July
issue of Stylophiles.
You can check out the pens at:
http://www.tryphon.it/pens/bruno/
and they have a street price that's under 100 bucks.
Take care,
Giovanni

"Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport" wrote in
message om...
OK, so my Filcao Forever has whetted my appetite for high-quality,
bargain-priced Italian moderns. It's OK, because in the time since, I've

discovered the Cesare
Emiliano Cassiopia.
~ Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet and Vain Popinjay

Old July 6th 03, 05:46 PM
marlinspike

"Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport" wrote in
message
I'm not a "watch" sort of fellow... they feel and look uncomfortable
on my wrist,

Have you ever considered a nice (and yes, nice does make a difference, and I
don't just mean aesthetically, get a longimes or something like that, maybe
go vintage?) pocket watch? Or, a nice vintage (1960's or so) Omega
wris****ch? You'll find that they fell and look much better than anything
today.

sorry to go OT,
Richard

Old July 7th 03, 03:06 AM
14:30

"Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport" wrote in
message om...
OK, so my Filcao Forever has whetted my appetite for high-quality,
bargain-priced Italian moderns. I find that attention to detail keeps
increasing as I get older, and at a grizzled and greybearded 30 (next
month), I find myself checking to make sure my belt matches my socks,
and that the shirt I wear with the suit has been cleaned =and= ironed
since the last time I wore it. All monumental leaps forward for me.
Cigars and Martinis are now my idea of a fine time out on the town,
and it's a bit difficult to really enjoy them in a Batman t-shirt with
a pair of sneakers and a pair of jean cut-offs vying with each other
to see which has the most holes worn in them.

I'm not a "watch" sort of fellow... they feel and look uncomfortable
on my wrist, even the gigantic outsized models that are all the rage
these days. But I understand that =some= jewelry is a must for a well
dressed man. Rings and watches feel funny, and feel awkward, so I
won't wear 'em. Cufflinks I will wear, so long as they have some
degree of unique style and attitude. But I'd like the primary detail
piece to be the pen.

I was considering something from Acme Studios, with matching business
card case and perhaps cufflinks, like from the Michael Graves or Frank
Lloyd Wright line... but the FPs from Acme are, according to the
archived opinions here, too heavy and unbalanced, and poor writers to
boot.

[...]

As a potential remedy to your watch problem: I don't like watches either. I
found a Skagen model made of titanium- ticket price is about $85, but I
literally FOUND mine on the street. It's a pretty titanium grey with a sort
of cobalt-purple face. It's so light that you really do forget you're
wearing it. It's also nigh invincible.
~14:30

Old July 8th 03, 01:52 AM
JimL

"marlinspike" wrote in message ...
"Matt Gabriel, Mad Poet of Newport" wrote in
message
I'm not a "watch" sort of fellow... they feel and look uncomfortable
on my wrist,

Have you ever considered a nice (and yes, nice does make a difference, and I
don't just mean aesthetically, get a longimes or something like that, maybe
go vintage?) pocket watch? Or, a nice vintage (1960's or so) Omega
wris****ch? You'll find that they fell and look much better than anything
today.

sorry to go OT,
Richard

Or, as someone who is anachronistic enough to affect carrying and
using classic fountain pens, I also like to carry pocket watches (only
one at a time, not many in a case like pens Leaves the wrist free
(for washing dishes, sigh), and has the pompous intimidation factor,
when desired, if a meeting or interview is going on too long.

My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.
Old August 1st 03, 05:18 PM
Norman M. Schwartz

"Matt Gabriel wrote:

I'm not a "watch" sort of fellow... they feel and look uncomfortable
on my wrist, even the gigantic outsized models that are all the rage
these days.

I'm mad about watches and FPs and always make sure of the water seal in the
former since I would not like to see ink within the latter.