What's the English word for "efterporto"?

Old May 26th 11, 06:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Default What's the English word for "efterporto"?

Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the Danish word for what
the reciever must pay when you have sent him a letter with
insufficient postage and he must pay the rest and a fee? I think
nachgebühr is the German word.
--
Mvh Toke

Læs om Ejnar Olsen og Søllestedmærkerne
samt om trusselsbrevet til kong Fr. 8!
http://www.norbyhus.dk/
Old May 26th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey

On 5/26/2011 13:55, Toke Nørby wrote:
Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the Danish word for what
the reciever must pay when you have sent him a letter with
insufficient postage and he must pay the rest and a fee? I think
nachgebühr is the German word.

Are you referring to "Postage Due"?
-Don
Old May 26th 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Don Levey wrote:

On 5/26/2011 13:55, Toke Nørby wrote:
Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the Danish word for what
the reciever must pay when you have sent him a letter with
insufficient postage and he must pay the rest and a fee? I think
nachgebühr is the German word.

Are you referring to "Postage Due"?
-Don

Yes! Thanks a lot, Don.

Old May 30th 11, 06:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 5/26/2011 12:54 PM, Toke Nørby wrote:
Don wrote:

On 5/26/2011 13:55, Toke Nørby wrote:
Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the Danish word for what
the reciever must pay when you have sent him a letter with
insufficient postage and he must pay the rest and a fee? I think
nachgebühr is the German word.

Are you referring to "Postage Due"?
-Don

Yes! Thanks a lot, Don.
--
Mvh Toke

Læs om Ejnar Olsen og Søllestedmærkerne
samt om trusselsbrevet til kong Fr. 8!
http://www.norbyhus.dk/

British stamps for this service are labeled "To Pay."

Bill
Old June 4th 11, 02:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Don wrote:

On 5/26/2011 13:55, Toke Nørby wrote:
Efterporto (sometimes called strafporto) is the Danish word for
what the reciever must pay when you have sent him a letter with
insufficient postage and he must pay the rest and a fee? I think
nachgebühr is the German word.

Are you referring to "Postage Due"?
-Don

Yes! Thanks a lot, Don.
--
Mvh Toke

Læs om Ejnar Olsen og Søllestedmærkerne
samt om trusselsbrevet til kong Fr. 8!
http://www.norbyhus.dk/

British stamps for this service are labeled "To Pay."

Bill

Some were, and some were not.

All issued before 1924 said Postage Due. Then the 2/6 was issued, saying To
Pay,
as the high values were needed for Customs Dues rather than Postage.

It was not until 1955 that a 5/- value was introduced, with 10/- and £1
following
in 1963.

However, on decimalisation in 1971 all 'Postage Due' stamps were inscribed
'To Pay'
as by then there were a range of uses besides deficient postage collection.

At that time the postman had to pay for the due stamps before collecting the
money on his rounds. With changes in society finding no servant in to take
the post
became a problem, and postage due stamps ceased to be used to collect
deficient postage from individuals
in 1995, and their use ceased in 2000.

Now if postage is due yellow labels are affixed to the envelope and you have
to pay
either at the delivery office (12 miles away in my case), or by affixing
postage stamps to
a reply card, or using the internet with a credit/debit card.

Tony Clayton