Questions on modern Chinese stamps

Old January 16th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Questions on modern Chinese stamps

On Jan 15, 3:46*pm, Jan-Martin Hertzsch wrote:
On 10/01/11 13:30, Richard wrote:

The UV numbers that appear on Chinese stamps are identical for all the
stamps on the sheet. According to some Chinese websites, these numbers
serve as an anti - fraud measure.

Makes sense to me. Do you remember the addresses of the websites so
that you could let me (us?) know?

Thanks a lot!
Jan-Martin

PS: Does anybody know why sometimes Chinese stamps were cancelled in
red? Unfortunately, the ones (Great Wall issue) I have are off-paper,
thus I cannot say anything about the letters they were used on.

I have heard of a red Amoy (treaty port ) cancel
used on a Hong Kong stamp.

(sorry no scan available)
Blair
Old January 22nd 11, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jan-Martin Hertzsch[_2_]

On 16/01/11 11:34, Richard wrote:

Red cancellations
These are not very common. Can you post a scan for us to see? I maybe
able to read the postmark. I do have a postcard that I posted from
Shigatse post office in Tibet which received a red wavy line machine
cancellation. Other than that, airmail canchets are in red as well.

Richard,

unfortunately the cancellations are either wavy lines, or not
legible (red postmarks on mostly red stamps do not show very
well). All I can say is that the red postmarks must have been
applied between 1999 and 2004 (between the issue date of the
stamps and the time I got them from a colleague). I suppose
the red ink could have been used instead of black on occasion
of the 50th anniversary of PRC, or maybe of the turn of the
millenium, but it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation.

Thanks for your input so far!

Jan-Martin

Old January 23rd 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard[_3_]

On Jan 23, 5:02*am, Jan-Martin Hertzsch wrote:

unfortunately the cancellations are either wavy lines, or not
legible (red postmarks on mostly red stamps do not show very
well). All I can say is that the red postmarks must have been
applied between 1999 and 2004 (between the issue date of the
stamps and the time I got them from a colleague). I suppose
the red ink could have been used instead of black on occasion
of the 50th anniversary of PRC, or maybe of the turn of the
millenium, but it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation.

Thanks for your input so far!

Jan-Martin

I've check my collection and come up with some more red cancels: All
the cancels are machine wavy line cancellations

1. Dali, Yunnan province (Dec 2000) (I posted this card at Xiaguan
post office, 30 minutes away from Dali)
2. Tongli, Jiangsu province (Mar 2005)
3. Shigatse, Tibet (July 2005)

I posted many other cards from other locations in the vicinities of
these post offices (yes, the above cards were all posted at post
offices). With the exception of these three cards and one other card
which had a postage meter mark (in red), the others received
cancellations in black ink.

Richard