{US} More interesting themes to collect

Old January 12th 04, 03:58 AM
Grandpa

Default {US} More interesting themes to collect

The USPS put out a free booklet in March 2002 (Pubication 512) thats
still floating around our Philatelic Center titled "Women on Stamps".
Its 56 pages in length and gives a really nice picture and writeup
about each of the 155 stamps it features.

Another free booklet in November 2002 (Publication 528) deals with
"Veterans and the Military on Stamps". Its 36 pages long and has
pictures and writeups on the 131 stamps it features.

A nice pair of free pubs if you are interested in collecting different
themes or subjects. Now to see if these and others are available via
the Internet too.

Old January 12th 04, 04:06 AM
Grandpa

Yuppers, some at least are available as PDFs from the USUS web site.
updated Women... http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub512.pdf
updated Veterans... http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub528.pdf
Hmmm, may be a wealth of goodies there!

Old January 12th 04, 04:19 AM
Grandpa

Well, that was a serious case of brain gas... blank reply...

Anyway, you can download all sorts of stuff free in PDF by going to the
following web site
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub223/c211pubs.html and looking
through the list. There are stamp themed coloring books to download
(PDF) too. Perhaps a good way to interest children. The list also
contains other booklets of interest to stamp collectors as well as some
stuff not of interest to most, however at least there is a publication
list available.

Old January 12th 04, 05:39 AM
Tracy Barber

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:19:20 -0700, Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
wrote:

Well, that was a serious case of brain gas... blank reply...

Replying to yourself is a sign of aging. Hmmm... Take 2 tablespoons
of Maalox and post in the morning.

Tracy Barber
Old January 12th 04, 07:20 PM
Victor Manta

wrote:

Well, that was a serious case of brain gas... blank reply...

Replying to yourself is a sign of aging. Hmmm... Take 2 tablespoons
of Maalox and post in the morning.

Tracy Barber

This may be true, Tracy, but your angst towards the future is showing.

So please fess up and let the whole world know that you have a
problem anyway. OK? Quit dancing around the subject.

:-))

Victor Manta

Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old January 12th 04, 10:34 PM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:20:15 +0100, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Well, that was a serious case of brain gas... blank reply...

Replying to yourself is a sign of aging. Hmmm... Take 2 tablespoons
of Maalox and post in the morning.

Tracy Barber

This may be true, Tracy, but your angst towards the future is showing.

Victor, be original, OK?

So please fess up and let the whole world know that you have a
problem anyway. OK? Quit dancing around the subject.

Please don't take a different topic and place it out of context.

:-))

Even a smiley won't get you out of this one.

Tracy Barber
Old January 13th 04, 06:38 PM
Victor Manta

wrote:

Well, that was a serious case of brain gas... blank reply...

Replying to yourself is a sign of aging. Hmmm... Take 2 tablespoons
of Maalox and post in the morning.

Tracy Barber

This may be true, Tracy, but your angst towards the future is showing.

Victor, be original, OK?

So please fess up and let the whole world know that you have a
problem anyway. OK? Quit dancing around the subject.

Please don't take a different topic and place it out of context.

:-))

Even a smiley won't get you out of this one.

Tracy Barber

Answering an earlier posting of mine, you wrote:"Your tongue in cheek, as
well as some others of us here (me included,
at times) is a bit brusque and rough."

So I have tried to be more subtle, what isn't always easy (especially with
my limited knowledge of English).

Instead of being "a bit brusque and rough", by writing like this:

- Tracy, why are you so harsh with a person of a certain age? Even if you
think that this is true, is it really such a big problem that he has
apparently spoken to himself? Would you like to be treated the same way when
you'll be older? And is it a good idea to treat like this a newcomer, one
who shows such a big interest in our common hobby, when there are so few of
them here?

- Why, instead of commenting on what I'm saying, you are commenting on what
you think that are my hidden reasons to comment (in that case some alleged
problems with Mette - with whom, just FYI, I have no personal problems.
Sometimes we are on the same side of the barricades, sometimes on opposite
ones, depending on our different Weltanschauungen, which is nothing new or
exceptional) ?

I have just used your words and your approach, both put into a different
context, hoping that the disadvantages that such an approach brings with it
will be clear.

Apparently, you haven't liked the result, which is perfectly understandable,
even if the whole has been rather a joke, and not related to a real problem
of yours (obviously, not knowing you personally, I have no reasons to think
that you should be worried for your future mental capacities, and you have
no reasons to think that I have such reasons).

The smile was thought as a sign of friendship, and as an invitation to look
beyond the mere words. I regret that it hasn't worked as I had expected, and
that I was obliged to extend the whole much more than I really wished.

Friendly,

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/

Old January 13th 04, 09:27 PM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:38:54 +0100, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

- Tracy, why are you so harsh with a person of a certain age? Even if you
think that this is true, is it really such a big problem that he has
apparently spoken to himself? Would you like to be treated the same way when
you'll be older? And is it a good idea to treat like this a newcomer, one
who shows such a big interest in our common hobby, when there are so few of
them here?

Grandpa and I have swapped jokes in the past. It was a a joke. I
have no hell-bent ferver to trounce upon people older than me, unless,
well, they trounce on me. But, it seemed that before the jury was
in, well, you trounced on me about it. so, therefore, we have a hung
jury and I declare a mis-trial.

gratuitous snip

The smile was thought as a sign of friendship, and as an invitation to look
beyond the mere words. I regret that it hasn't worked as I had expected, and
that I was obliged to extend the whole much more than I really wished.

Let's shake and move on... --- true smiley.

Tracy Barber