[OT] Is spring about here (US)?

Old January 12th 04, 02:37 PM
Doug Spade

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message

We're building the US Undercontinental Cold-Pipeline Emergency
Extravaganza (USU*-PEE) :^) and we're channeling the cold weather
from the northeast to the southwest starting immediately (if not
sooner).

As the Old Timer in Fibber McGee and Molly would say,
"That's pretty good, Johnny. But that ain't the way *I* heerd it!"

That's cuz I heerd this morning on the news that the northeast is gonna get
rocked with a huge arctic blast later this week. Sorry, Tracy, but it's
gonna skip right past us in southern Michigan, and you get to enjoy!

Mike

Old January 12th 04, 03:43 PM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:37:58 -0500, "Doug Spade"
wrote:

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
.. .

We're building the US Undercontinental Cold-Pipeline Emergency
Extravaganza (USU*-PEE) :^) and we're channeling the cold weather
from the northeast to the southwest starting immediately (if not
sooner).

As the Old Timer in Fibber McGee and Molly would say,
"That's pretty good, Johnny. But that ain't the way *I* heerd it!"

That's cuz I heerd this morning on the news that the northeast is gonna get
rocked with a huge arctic blast later this week. Sorry, Tracy, but it's
gonna skip right past us in southern Michigan, and you get to enjoy!

Alrighty then! As another great literary character from Time Warner
used to say -

"Ya know doc, dis means woah... (munch, munch)"

Tracy Barber
Old January 12th 04, 07:44 PM
Victor Manta

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
That is what I thought at first, but later was confused twice: first, when
you state 150 in altitude, the m for meters is missing; and second, you
state "altitude winds of 250 km/h". A better way to state that would have
been "a wind velocity of 250 km/h at ???m".

Tony

What was missing was not the "m", but Km/h, i.e. winds of 150 Km/h in
altitude. "In altitude" means for our meteorologists from the TV about
2000 - 2500 m, I think. Of course, you couldn't know this.

At Jugfraujoch (at an altitude of 3571m ), they measured today gusts of 200
Km/h. High but not unusual.

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old January 12th 04, 08:07 PM
Doug Spade

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message

"Ya know doc, dis means woah... (munch, munch)"

Tracy Barber

An appropriate slogan for the Scott U.S. 3138 (with die-cutting extending
through to backing paper). I just found that one of these babies sold at
auction last year for 20% of catalog!

Not only was I not the winning bidder, but I didn't even know about the
sale!!!

(Darn work anyway---keeps me from paying attention to the really important
stuff!)

Mike

Old January 12th 04, 08:27 PM
Grandpa

Victor Manta wrote:
snip

What was missing was not the "m", but Km/h, i.e. winds of 150 Km/h in
altitude. "In altitude" means for our meteorologists from the TV about
2000 - 2500 m, I think. Of course, you couldn't know this.

At Jugfraujoch (at an altitude of 3571m ), they measured today gusts of 200
Km/h. High but not unusual.

Victor, you're in Switzerland, correct? I've never been there and only
have a "Heidi" view of the country but from what I've read its beautiful
and fairly mountainous which would explain the higher winds as they dash
around the peaks and valleys. One day maybe I'll be lucky enough to
visit there. I love green grass, trees and flowers, high hills & deep
valleys. I worked with a young lady a few years ago from Switzerland
and she remembered the name DeBoo being there - we were talking about
Genealogy, another of my hobbies.

Old January 12th 04, 10:36 PM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:07:29 -0500, "Doug Spade"
wrote:

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message
.. .

"Ya know doc, dis means woah... (munch, munch)"

Tracy Barber

An appropriate slogan for the Scott U.S. 3138 (with die-cutting extending
through to backing paper). I just found that one of these babies sold at
auction last year for 20% of catalog!

Not only was I not the winning bidder, but I didn't even know about the
sale!!!

(Darn work anyway---keeps me from paying attention to the really important
stuff!)

I hear that. I have to get some programming done, but will probably
sort some stamps tonight for peace of mind.

Tracy Barber
Old January 12th 04, 11:49 PM
Doug Spade

"Tracy Barber" wrote in message

I hear that. I have to get some programming done, but will probably
sort some stamps tonight for peace of mind.

Tracy Barber

I filled out my ballot for Linn's last night (best design, worst design,
most necessary, and least necessary U.S. stamps for the previous year), and
now I'm working on my annual letter of explanation which I always send.
Occasionally, I get a line or two in the article summarizing the tallies, so
I have to come with something worthwhile, witty, and/or quotable.

Mike

Mike

Old January 13th 04, 08:03 PM
Victor Manta

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message

Victor, you're in Switzerland, correct?

Correct.

I've never been there and only
have a "Heidi" view of the country but from what I've read its beautiful
and fairly mountainous which would explain the higher winds as they dash
around the peaks and valleys. One day maybe I'll be lucky enough to
visit there. I love green grass, trees and flowers, high hills & deep
valleys. I worked with a young lady a few years ago from Switzerland
and she remembered the name DeBoo being there - we were talking about
Genealogy, another of my hobbies.

I won't contradict you :-) High mountains, deep valleys, nice lakes, snow,
wonderful views, grass and cows, and a lot more.

Some of my "Swiss" pages:
http://www.values.ch/Countries/Switz...ch-stamps1.htm
http://www.values.ch/Countries/Switz...int-Issues.htm
http://www.values.ch/ch-stamps.htm
http://www.values.ch/hans-erni.htm
http://www.values.ch/Art-Gallery/Emb...embroidery.htm

Old January 13th 04, 09:28 PM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:03:42 +0100, "Victor Manta"
wrote:

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message

Victor, you're in Switzerland, correct?

Correct.

I've never been there and only
have a "Heidi" view of the country but from what I've read its beautiful
and fairly mountainous which would explain the higher winds as they dash
around the peaks and valleys. One day maybe I'll be lucky enough to
visit there. I love green grass, trees and flowers, high hills & deep
valleys. I worked with a young lady a few years ago from Switzerland
and she remembered the name DeBoo being there - we were talking about
Genealogy, another of my hobbies.

I won't contradict you :-) High mountains, deep valleys, nice lakes, snow,
wonderful views, grass and cows, and a lot more.

And those funny, big, long horns that they seem to always like
carrying up past 10,000 feet or more to rattle the roofs of the
villages below.

Ree-coe-lah!!! :^P

Tracy Barber
Old January 13th 04, 09:54 PM
Grandpa

Victor Manta wrote:
snip

I won't contradict you :-) High mountains, deep valleys, nice lakes, snow,
wonderful views, grass and cows, and a lot more.

Some of my "Swiss" pages:
http://www.values.ch/Countries/Switz...ch-stamps1.htm
http://www.values.ch/Countries/Switz...int-Issues.htm
http://www.values.ch/ch-stamps.htm
http://www.values.ch/hans-erni.htm
http://www.values.ch/Art-Gallery/Emb...embroidery.htm

WOW! Nice stamps and the things they represent, crafts, nature,
history. PEACE!!! The stamp with the frog on it hit a nerve as I like
frogs. Oops, here I go again with another theme. Why do you people
tease me like thatgrin? 8?)