Curiosity Corner #20..Where time begins.

Old July 24th 03, 03:39 AM
Rodney

Default Curiosity Corner #20..Where time begins.

Tonga in 1970 issued the first watch-shaped stamps ever produced.
Their shape and slogan "The friendly Isles where time begins"
emphasise this unique distinction of being the only country in the
world that is 13 hours ahead of Greenwich mean time.

They follow the latest developments in stamp design, being free form
and self adhesive. At the foot of the stamp is a drawing of "Ha Amonga".
a famous prehistoric monument once used by the Tongans to determine
with accuracy the longest and shortest days of the year.

Acknowledgment: Australian Stamp news

Old July 24th 03, 05:04 AM
Bob Ingraham

From: "Rodney"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39:52 +0800
Subject: Curiosity Corner #20..Where time begins.

Tonga in 1970 issued the first watch-shaped stamps ever produced.
Their shape and slogan "The friendly Isles where time begins"
emphasise this unique distinction of being the only country in the
world that is 13 hours ahead of Greenwich mean time.

They follow the latest developments in stamp design, being free form
and self adhesive. At the foot of the stamp is a drawing of "Ha Amonga".
a famous prehistoric monument once used by the Tongans to determine
with accuracy the longest and shortest days of the year.

Acknowledgment: Australian Stamp news

A perfect moment to point out the Canada #1, the Three Pence "Beaver" stamp
of 1851, was designed by Sir Sandford Fleming.

Fleming was a very accomplished gentleman. In addition to designing stamps
and the Candian Pacific Railway line, Fleming also invented Standard Time as
a result of frustrations with the schedules of British railways, each of
which operated on their own separate and very non-standard schedules. For
more information about C1 and a 2001 issue featuring C1, go to this Royal
Philatelic Society of Canada web page:
http://www.rpsc.org/press/20010216.htm.

Bob Ingraham

Old July 24th 03, 05:54 AM
Bob Ingraham

In my previous post, I inadvertantli tped "C1" -- twice! -- when I meant #1.

Bob

Old July 24th 03, 06:41 AM
Rodney

......As the Danish stamp designer, another high achiever.
amongst many.......

The design of a prototype of an in-line skate, which he tested
and pronounced "altogether satisfactory", at the age of 21. (1848)

Surveys and maps of the harbour of Toronto, the towns of
Peterborough and Cobourg, and the Grand Trunk, Ontario,
Simcoe and Huron railways.

Establishment of Universal Standard Time,
which he recommended to the Royal Canadian Institute
in 1879, and which was adopted universally in 1884.

Design of Canada's first adhesive postage stamp,
the Threepenny Beaver, in 1851.

Appointment as Chief Engineer of the Northern Railway in 1855.

Proposal for a coast to coast railway line spanning "British North America" in 1858.

Advocacy of iron railway bridges over wooden, for safety and durability.

Old July 24th 03, 06:57 AM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

Bob Ingraham wrote:

A perfect moment to point out the Canada #1, the Three Pence "Beaver" stamp
of 1851, was designed by Sir Sandford Fleming.

Fleming was a very accomplished gentleman. In addition to designing stamps
and the Candian Pacific Railway line, Fleming also invented Standard Time as
a result of frustrations with the schedules of British railways, each of
which operated on their own separate and very non-standard schedules.

I give up, he lived in Canada but was frustrated with the schedules of
British railways? Did he have his epiphany when he was in England being
knighted? Doubtful -- he was knighted in 1897 and according to one web
site British railroads had been using GMT since 1848, when Fleming was a
"lad" of barely 20 years.

:-)

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY

Old July 24th 03, 08:19 PM
TC

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:39:52 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

Tonga in 1970 issued the first watch-shaped stamps ever produced.
Their shape and slogan "The friendly Isles where time begins"
emphasise this unique distinction of being the only country in the
world that is 13 hours ahead of Greenwich mean time.

They follow the latest developments in stamp design, being free form
and self adhesive. At the foot of the stamp is a drawing of "Ha Amonga".
a famous prehistoric monument once used by the Tongans to determine
with accuracy the longest and shortest days of the year.

Acknowledgment: Australian Stamp news

Hello Group:

Further to Rodney's post...

Tonga Scott C117-8, C061-2 MNH - Watches + the Ha'Amonga

Tonga is found at 15-25 degrees latitude and 165-180 degrees
longitude; about 1,150 miles northeast of New Zealand.

Location of Tonga: http://www.tonga2k.com/GLOBET.jpg

The capital of Tonga, Nuku'alofa, is located on the main island of
Tongatapu. It means "THE BOAT OF LOVE".

Map of Tongatapu: http://www.pmo.gov.to/Tongatapumap.jpg

The HA'AMONGA (Ha'Amonga 'a Maui), located on the eastern side of the
island of Tondatapu, was built by the King of Tonga named TU'I TATUI
in 1212 A.D.

Location of the Ha'Amonga 'a Maui: #16 on previous map

It was used as a gateway to the Royal Compound.

Standing 16 feet high, 19 feet wide, and weighing over 35 tons, it is
located in the village called Niutoua. What's special about the
HA'AMONGA is that not only was it a gateway, but strange carvings are
on top of the stone. [It appears at the bottom of the stamps]

Picture of the stamps: http://tinyurl.com/hxrr

Picture of the stone: http://www.tonga2k.com/PIC6.jpg

[Note: The yellow line straight to the sun shows a direct route from
the stone to the ocean, which helped prove the theory of the carvings
on the top of the stone.]

Another picture of the stone:
http://www.pmo.gov.to/Haamonga_front_view.jpg

How the Tongans obtained the stones and put them into position is
still a mystery.

The carvings reveal to the Tongan people when the shortest and longest
day of the year occur. On those two days the sun is centered in the
arch of the stone.

Blair

auction 221 update VernsCards Baseball 0 October 4th 04 02:10 AM
auction 221 initial post VernsCards Baseball 0 October 1st 04 03:28 AM
PART II: HUGE LISTING OVER 10,000 CARDS 66% to 75% OFF Rose Hockey 0 January 4th 04 01:19 PM
PART II: 66% to 75% OFF OVER 10,000 CARDS Rose Hockey 0 January 2nd 04 04:33 PM
CHRISTMAS SALE III! 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 November 30th 03 02:07 PM