Bulk bags

Old July 22nd 03, 05:37 PM
Craig

Default Bulk bags

Hiya all,

My local antique/tat shop has bags of GB stamps labeled unsorted
bagged as recieved from local charity, they also have a dealers
sticker on them.
Has anyone had any experience with these sort of bags, surely they
can't have passed through a dealer without him having a sift
From the outside the bags look like they contain mainly commms with a
few early-ish ER2. He want £1.50 a bag.

Regards

Craig
Old July 22nd 03, 07:29 PM
Craig

Thanks bob, i will be off down there tommorow, trouble is, i'm meant
to be sorting out not buying !

Craig

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 18:17:37 GMT, Bob Ingraham

From: Craig
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:37:42 GMT
Subject: Bulk bags

Hiya all,

My local antique/tat shop has bags of GB stamps labeled unsorted
bagged as recieved from local charity, they also have a dealers
sticker on them.
Has anyone had any experience with these sort of bags, surely they
can't have passed through a dealer without him having a sift
From the outside the bags look like they contain mainly commms with a
few early-ish ER2. He want £1.50 a bag.

Regards

Craig

From what I've seen in stamp shops and learned from dealers is that there
are huge quantities of stamps that are sold "as is," without careful
examination. This even includes albums stuffed with stamps. Dealers buy low,
sell as high as they can -- that's capitalism! -- and if their customers
find gold, they'll probably be repeat customers.

It's all a matter of time and resources. The dealer I know best has stuff
coming in the door all the time; she takes material on consignment for her
auction, and buys stamps and collections outright. She barely has time each
week to list the next week's auction lots. Of course, she is able to
recognize when a collection has been put together with care and might well
contain expensive stamps; such a collection will almost certainly receive
close scrutiny before being offered for sale, priced accordingly.

Bags such as you describe undoubtedly contain mostly common stamps. But
there may well be intereting and sometimes valuable varieties, and even the
odd single and possibly unusual stamp that shouldn't be there at all, but
is. And remember, no dealer can possibly have a specialized understanding of
all stamps and postal history. I have a friend who regularly makes
incredible Third Reich purchases on eBay for peanuts, all because he
understands Third Reich history and postal history and the sellers don't.

Should you buy some of those bags? Only if it's worth the money to you. Such
a small amount seems like inexpensive entertainment to me, and there's
always the possibility of a great find. Whenever I buy something like that,
I look through it for stamps of interest to me, then sell it at the next
club auction.

Bob Ingraham

Old July 22nd 03, 07:39 PM
Victor Manta

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message

snip
Dealers buy low, sell as high as they can -- that's capitalism! ...

snip
Bob Ingraham

Capitalism is rather about the liberty of individuals to engage in
non-compulsive relationships. There is no implied warranty that any of
participants will gain from them, even if often the situations are of
win-win nature.

Victor Manta

Old July 23rd 03, 12:15 AM
Numberwhun

I was recently in the UK, and while over there I picked up a packet of
US stamps. Now being from the US, some thought it odd that I would chose
to buy some stamps from my own country. Well, as it turns out, the 5
pound bag that I bought paid for itself with only a few stamps.

The moral is, you never know if you will find a great deal. You just
have to take a chance.

Regards,

jlk

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:37:42 -0400, Craig wrote:

Hiya all,

My local antique/tat shop has bags of GB stamps labeled unsorted bagged
as recieved from local charity, they also have a dealers sticker on
them.
Has anyone had any experience with these sort of bags, surely they can't
have passed through a dealer without him having a sift From the outside
the bags look like they contain mainly commms with a few early-ish ER2.
He want £1.50 a bag.

Regards

Craig

Old July 23rd 03, 08:28 AM
Victor Manta

From: "Victor Manta"
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:39:29 +0200

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message

snip
Dealers buy low, sell as high as they can -- that's capitalism! ...

snip
Bob Ingraham

Capitalism is rather about the liberty of individuals to engage in
non-compulsive relationships. There is no implied warranty that any of
participants will gain from them, even if often the situations are of
win-win nature.

Victor Manta

OK. You win. It's not capitalism. It's free enterprise! :^)

Bob

A free enterprise can in principle also buy high and sell low ;-)

About the terms used, after Merriam-Webster:

Free enterprise

1 : an economic system in which primary reliance is placed upon private
business operating in competitive markets to satisfy consumer demands and to
maintain equilibrium in the national economy and in which government action
in this respect is restricted to protecting the rights of individuals rather
than acting as a directing economic force
2 : a business enterprise operating under free enterprise

Capitalism

: an economic system characterized by private or corporation ownership of
capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision rather
than by state control, and by prices, production, and the distribution of
goods that are determined mainly in a free market ...

Victor Manta

Old July 23rd 03, 11:58 AM
David F.

snip
Dealers buy low, sell as high as they can -- that's capitalism! ...

snip
Bob Ingraham

Capitalism is rather about the liberty of individuals to engage in
non-compulsive relationships. There is no implied warranty that any of
participants will gain from them, even if often the situations are of
win-win nature.

Victor Manta

OK. You win. It's not capitalism. It's free enterprise! :^)

Bob

If it's free, I'll have 2 truck-loads please!

David.

Old July 24th 03, 04:47 PM
TC

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:58:35 +0100, "David F."
wrote:

snip
Dealers buy low, sell as high as they can -- that's capitalism! ...

snip
Bob Ingraham

Capitalism is rather about the liberty of individuals to engage in
non-compulsive relationships. There is no implied warranty that any of
participants will gain from them, even if often the situations are of
win-win nature.

Victor Manta

OK. You win. It's not capitalism. It's free enterprise! :^)

Bob

If it's free, I'll have 2 truck-loads please!

David.

David:

Well. it's free - but like eBay
there's a minimum of $3.95 shipping and handling.

}B*P

Blair