Help identifying statuette

Old September 9th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques
Chris Shearer Cooper

Default Help identifying statuette

In a box of stuff from my grandparents, I found a small statue of a
seated man in a frilly outfit (baroque?) playing a ... lute?

http://www.sc3.net/dude.htm

It has no marks anywhere as to the manufacturer.

Can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks,
Chris
Old September 9th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques
[email protected]

Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
In a box of stuff from my grandparents, I found a small statue of a
seated man in a frilly outfit (baroque?) playing a ... lute?

http://www.sc3.net/dude.htm

It has no marks anywhere as to the manufacturer.

Can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes it hurts my eye's ;~)))))))))))))))))). Probably Japanese,
originally had a foil or paper label which has been removed.
Old September 10th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques
Kris Baker[_2_]

On Sep 9, 2:32*pm, wrote:
Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
In a box of stuff from my grandparents, I found a small statue of a
seated man in a frilly outfit (baroque?) playing a ... lute?

http://www.sc3.net/dude.htm

It has no marks anywhere as to the manufacturer.

Can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes it hurts my eye's ;~)))))))))))))))))). Probably Japanese,
originally had a foil or paper label which has been removed.

I think it's newer, and Chinese. It has the heavy, light-blue
porcelain look to it....and the "lace" is clunky. A Japanese
piece of that style would have (in addition to the paper label)
at least the word "Japan" on it, and maybe a number.

The Chinese flooded the US with these fake things about
25 years ago. They've moved on to ugly dollar store
dinnerware.

Kris
Old September 11th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques
[email protected]

Kris Baker wrote:
On Sep 9, 2:32 pm, wrote:
Chris Shearer Cooper wrote:
In a box of stuff from my grandparents, I found a small statue of a
seated man in a frilly outfit (baroque?) playing a ... lute?
http://www.sc3.net/dude.htm
It has no marks anywhere as to the manufacturer.
Can anyone tell me more about this?
Thanks,
Chris

Yes it hurts my eye's ;~)))))))))))))))))). Probably Japanese,
originally had a foil or paper label which has been removed.

I think it's newer, and Chinese. It has the heavy, light-blue
porcelain look to it....and the "lace" is clunky. A Japanese
piece of that style would have (in addition to the paper label)
at least the word "Japan" on it, and maybe a number.

Not necessarily, tons of Arnart pieces from Japan had nothing but foil
labels.

The Chinese flooded the US with these fake things about
25 years ago. They've moved on to ugly dollar store
dinnerware.

Kris

I've seen pieces every bit as ugly and worse from Europe made just after
WW2, the Chinese don't have the total lock on ugly ;~)The hands on this
one look like a claymation figure they're so crude.
Old September 12th 09, 06:24 AM posted to rec.collecting,rec.antiques
asdf

On Sep 9, 2:12*pm, Chris Shearer Cooper
wrote:
In a box of stuff from my grandparents, I found a small statue of a
seated man in a frilly outfit (baroque?) playing a ... lute?

http://www.sc3.net/dude.htm

It has no marks anywhere as to the manufacturer.

Can anyone tell me more about this?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

What that's meant to be is a cheap copy of a Meissen figurine. In
fact, that's what it is. Lots of people's grandmothers had such
things. They were cute. They were cheap. They still are.

T.