Cold Comfort Farm

Old June 9th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Cold Comfort Farm

Orestes wrote:

Shelf Space wrote:
Ted Jones wrote:

My girlfriend just phoned and found reprints at Costco (For those who
have not enjoyed the experience, it is a North American store that
offers deep discounts on the toys and gustatory delights of affluent
Americans.) Usually it's book selection is reserved for Bestsellers.
Has Stella Gibbons been resurrected? Why else would a mass marketer qua
mass marketer, be hawking her books. The motion picture has already been
done. It starred a pre-inflated Kate Bekinsale and Rufus Sewell.
Excellent film.

Any idea what's up?

n.b. Fundoc

I am a cad, a bounder and harbor impure thoughts, but she will not make
an honest man of me.

The writer I publish (Reggie Oliver) is the nephew of the late Stella
Gibbons and the author of OUT OF THE WOODSHED, the acclaimed biography
on Miss Gibbons. He also gives talks to academic institutions on both
the novel and the life of his aunt. His father also edited and
turned-around the fortunes of TATLER magazine, so there is a notable
literary pedigree in the family.

http://hauntedriver.co.uk/page13.html

http://hitler-symphonies.co.uk/

In the UK, COLD COMFORT FARM has recently been added to the list of
approved texts for teaching English Literature. This has led to a
resurgence in the book's popularity.

TTFN,

Shelf Space

Thank you,

I have just ordered the referenced book.
I also ordered D.L. Sayers' translation of the Divina.

You're welcome. There are some delightful photos of Reggie Oliver as a
child sitting next to his aunt in the book.

I've always been a huge fan of Evelyn Waugh so when I was younger, I
fell into the trap of thinking that CCF was a little tame by
comparison. But it's charm is in it's warmth and gentleness.

This is Reggie's Stella Gibbons website:

http://stellagibbons.com/

Old June 9th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Allison Turner- wrote:
on Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:57:26 GMT, Pangarune Corner stated:

I had thought you were a tad better than that...

Ah well, another name for the killfile.

I don't think whatever that was was written by our
friend in Japan. At any rate, my killfile killed it,
and I don't have him killfiled.

What's Cold Comfort Farm? (Am I completely culturally
clueless?) Anyway, one never knows what will all of
a sudden become popular, or what some publishers will
suddenly decide needs resurrection.

-Allison

I do not believe not having read CCF will stamp you as culturally
benighted. However, it is probably the most delightful post Victorian
romp ever. Shaw would have killed to be the author. Buy a copy. I would
suggest a first, only because when you read it, you will want a first.

Old June 10th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam wrote:
Isn't the internet great! You can pose as anyone (just cast off a
new email address), spew your garbage, and not worry about someone in
the real world kicking your sorry ass.

It's worked for Bill Orobko ("willow") for a great many years so far.

Old June 10th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

pinoy wrote:
Cold Comfort Farm was a piece of nonsensical trash, much like Edward
Scissorhands and also the trash that Hunter Thompson wrote

Me thinks that thou hast risen from beneath the wrong bridge. My guess
is that the problem is in the dendrites. Any competent neurosurgeon or
auto repair facility should be able to check your synapses. If however,
it is an axon problem, then you should high yourself to a good
electrical repair facility or to a really, really good neurosurgeon
preferably one with a lot of probes.

Old June 10th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Old June 10th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam wrote:
Isn't the internet great! You can pose as anyone (just cast off a
new email address), spew your garbage, and not worry about someone in
the real world kicking your sorry ass.

That's pretty good coming from a pimple who goes by a single name and
has a disposible Yahoo email address!
Tell you what loudmouth, why don't you tell everyone who you really are
before you go off on another hypocritical rant about anonymous posters?
--
RWF

Old June 10th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Orestes wrote:

pinoy wrote:
Cold Comfort Farm was a piece of nonsensical trash, much like Edward
Scissorhands and also the trash that Hunter Thompson wrote

Me thinks that thou hast risen from beneath the wrong bridge. My guess
is that the problem is in the dendrites. Any competent neurosurgeon or
auto repair facility should be able to check your synapses. If however,
it is an axon problem, then you should high yourself to a good
electrical repair facility or to a really, really good neurosurgeon
preferably one with a lot of probes.

I second the use of probes. Rusty ones if possible.