Do Not Feed the Trolls

Old May 23rd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Do Not Feed the Trolls

Everyone,

I posted most of this as a response in another thread, but I thought it
worthy of its own title.

Feeding trolls keeps them alive. Do not feed them and they will shrivel
up and die. It doesn't take much food to keep them alive. A single
morsel tossed to them will breath life into them.

Do NOT respond to a troll's message.

Do NOT mention a troll by name.

Do NOT even read the troll's messages if these will incense you --
better to killfile the troll entirley.

If you ignore a troll completely, he WILL eventually die. But EVERYONE
needs to cooperate.

- Scot Kamins
- VERY long-time Usenet Poster (and founder of this newsgroup)
Old May 23rd 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
Everyone,

I posted most of this as a response in another thread, but I thought it
worthy of its own title.

Feeding trolls keeps them alive. Do not feed them and they will shrivel
up and die. It doesn't take much food to keep them alive. A single
morsel tossed to them will breath life into them.

Do NOT respond to a troll's message.

Do NOT mention a troll by name.

Do NOT even read the troll's messages if these will incense you --
better to killfile the troll entirley.

If you ignore a troll completely, he WILL eventually die. But EVERYONE
needs to cooperate.

- Scot Kamins
- VERY long-time Usenet Poster (and founder of this newsgroup)

I'm sorry, but your silly post about trolls is off topic in this newsgroup,
which is ostensibly devoted to books, the collecting thereof, and how to
sell them on ebay. Please try reading the FAQ before posting here again. In
the meanwhile you might try alt.goofysixtiesdollswithweirdhair,
alt.billygoatgruff.puffies, or if you're just into the uniforms,
rec.collecting.germany.

Old May 24th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Pangarune Corner sez:
I'll give it a try.

Seeing as how you had your willy lopped off, it would seem you are
willing to give ANYTHING a try!

Old May 24th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

"RW Julian" wrote in message
It is appropriate to this newsgroup and its periodic posting is a good
idea.

RWJ

Old May 24th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Hi,

Does anyone know all of the "fukdup" aliases so I can killfile them in
one go?

I'm sure he'll add more but every little helps.

I do like the feature on Goggle that lets you see past activity for a
user. Some of you should take solice that he is so busy writing emails
that it keeps him off the streets.

I feel safer even based in the UK.

Thanks
Simon

Old May 24th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"psimon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Does anyone know all of the "fukdup" aliases so I can killfile them in
one go?

I'm sure he'll add more but every little helps.

I do like the feature on Goggle that lets you see past activity for a
user. Some of you should take solice that he is so busy writing emails
that it keeps him off the streets.

I feel safer even based in the UK.

As well you should.

I've kept pretty close track of this character. The screen names known to me
are

fundoc
fvndoc
fvndock
funpier
funjetty
thinggfish
thingfish
thinkfish
thinggphish
kris baker
Francis A. Miniter
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson
Bill Palmer
Blip Palmer
Blip Palmjob
Bilp Palmjob
Blip Pamler
Bilp Ampler
Bill OddJob
Bond, James Bond
Paghat the Rat Girl
Paghat the Rat Boy
Pagrat the Hat Girl
Pagrat the Hat Boy
Boyrat the Hat Job
Ratboy the Palmjob
Scott Kamins
Scott Tissue
Scott Lawn Fertilizer
Pangarune Corner
Tie Me Pangarune Down Sport
Bud Webster
Bud Budster
Dub Webster
Ben Webster
Ben Franklin
Franklin Pierce
Pierce Arrow
The Black Arrow
The Black Adder
The Black Dahlia
Dahlia M For Murder
and
Heywood Jablowme

There are probably more as well. Good luck with it.

NDP

If I were you I'd plonk them all immediately. I know I have.

Old May 24th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

on Wed, 24 May 2006 03:02:46 GMT, Pangarune Corner stated:

I'll give it a try.

Thanks, Willow. You've done a pretty good job most of
the time ignoring them, but absolutely giving not one
word response and not the remotest acknowledgment in
any post that they even exist is the best because, as
Scot says, they really can survive well on the most meager
crumb. And, too, those posters who stick to the topic
and refuse to get dragged into juvenile food fights are
much more impressive, not to mention much more interesting
to read.

To bring this, by a roundabout route, back to the topic
of books, I once had a usenet troll-feeding character
named the Blonde Ice Bitch From Hell. She was pretty
good, and got a few of them spitting mad (which in the
context of a different group was appropriate and even
fun, but didn't, of course, get rid of the trolls; total
silence is the only remedy). Anyway, BIBFH was based
on some vague memory I had of a movie or a book with a
smart, blonde gun-moll type who was totally cold, cared
for no one but herself, shot people without the remotest
remorse, and was, of course, blonde. She was a counter
to the classic dumb-blonde concept.

I have since tried to find what icon(s?) I based BIBFH
on, and can't figure it out. Some 40s movie? A book
series? Can anyone help me out, here? For a little
while I was collecting pulp paperbacks with appropriate
covers[*] and most of them sort of touch on the image
I'm thinking of, but don't quite make it.

-Allison

[*](numbers in parentheses are current ebay sales w/ pix;
they aren't mine and I have nothing to say about them other
than that I wouldn't, in most cases, pay that much):

Don't Ever Love Me by Octavus Roy Cohen, Popular Library #332
1946/1951
The Bandaged Nude by Robert Finnegan, Signet Books #807, 1950
(7033148317)
Stone Cold Blonde by Adam Knight, Signet #1322 (Maguire cover),
3rd, 1956 (7033491252)
The Bad Blonde by Jack Webb, Signet 1422, 1957
(I don't see a current image on ebay but wish there was one;
I love this cover, another Maguire, with the blonde giving a
very Bacall "look")
The Dame by Carter Brown, Signet 1738, 1959
(knife, not gun, but whatever: 7034332270)

--
..
Old May 24th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Allison Turner-" wrote in message
[...]

I'd just like to echo Allison's point here. The best way to deal with trolls
is to ignore them, and the best way to ignore them is by writing essays
about them, about other trolls, about times you yourself trolled other
newsgroups, and about how you went about naming your trolls, and what they
looked like, and what their favorite foods were, how the felt emotionally,
and really just about as many details as you can remember about them to bore
people to death with. Because as has been pointed out repeatedly, the best
way to "not [even] remote[ly] acknowledgment in any post that they even
exist" is to devote entire posts to them in entire threads that are devoted
to them. Otherwise you'll never get rid of them.