Do Not Feed the Trolls

Old May 26th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Ezra Pound (was Do Not Feed the Trolls)

On Thu, 25 May 2006 22:00:29 GMT, Bud Webster
wrote:

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:55:52 -0700, Scot Kamins
wrote:

In article 44760a3e$1@kcnews01,
"Francis A. Miniter" wrote:

The other day I began to read "Mother Night" by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
and after sending my comment about Pound,
it hit me like a ton of bricks that Vonnegut probably had Pound in mind
when he created his protagonist for that story.

Damn! ANOTHER book to add to my reading list! :-D

_Mother Night_ is, and has long been, my favorite Vonnegut. It's all
the good stuff Vonnegut does, with very little of the self-indulgence
that became his default mode later.

It's one of his that I wish I had (and could afford) the first edition
of.

I actually have a copy of that book. Of all the authors that you
collect, and have so many titles that I covet, to find one that you
don't gives me hope to catch up.

My copy is only 'Fair/Good', with too much shelf wear before I bought
it.

Enviously yours,

Dave
Old May 26th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Do Not Feed the Trolls

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
Al Ias wrote:

"Nicholas Name" wrote in message
. ..

"Sue Donym" wrote in message
.. .

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message

Willow,

I think the post to which you responded was part of the trolling. The
troller wanted to draw in a number of people to make denials and keep
things roiling. Consider how closely the poster's name is to "nom de
plume".

Good catch Francis! I bet the OP will think twice before trying to put
one over on a rocket scientist like yourself again.

I don't know Sue. I traced the email address and it looks genuine to me.
Perhaps you should do more research before accusing people of deception.

I'd have to agree with Nick, Francis. Everything look to be on the up and
up to me.

Could be. Curiously, though, this is the only post that "Norman D. Plumb"
has ever posted to USENET. The URL is plum.com, and that seems to be a
site for collectors of digital materials. No individual is named at the
site. It could be that Norman is legitimate. The similarity to nom de
plume is bothersome, though sometimes parents do that to children.
Maybe, we will eventually learn more from Mr. Plumb himself.

The similarity is indeed bothersome. However, many net users morph their
email addresses so as to avoid spam. Perhaps that is the case here. Have you
tried phoning this Plum Co. or whatever it is to see if there is such a
person there?

Regards,

Cyn O'Nymn

Old May 27th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam huffs:
You thought you were a wit but were only half right.

Oh my god! Such a rapier wit! Did you read that off the wall in your
cave?

Old June 7th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Scot Kamins wrote:
Everyone,

I posted most of this as a response in another thread, but I thought it
worthy of its own title.

Feeding trolls keeps them alive. Do not feed them and they will shrivel
up and die. It doesn't take much food to keep them alive. A single
morsel tossed to them will breath life into them.

Do NOT respond to a troll's message.

Do NOT mention a troll by name.

Do NOT even read the troll's messages if these will incense you --
better to killfile the troll entirley.

If you ignore a troll completely, he WILL eventually die. But EVERYONE
needs to cooperate.

- Scot Kamins
- VERY long-time Usenet Poster (and founder of this newsgroup)

What Trolls?

---------
YAHOO AUCTIONS - FREE LISTING - 100% FREE
http://auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/

Old June 7th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers wrote:

All this is from a fascinating book by William Amos-- _The Originals: An
A-Z of Fiction's Real-Life Characters_ (Jonathan Cape, 1985;
Little,Brown, 1986).

I actually have a copy of Amos's book, but can't lay hands on it right
now.

But the thread reminds me that I just purchased a three-volume set of
the letters of Thomas Gray with the bookplate of F.F. "Sligger"
Urquhart. Urquhart was the first Catholic (his mother had been a
convert) elected as a tutorial fellow at an Oxford college (Balliol, in
this case) since the Reformation--beating out, so the story goes,
another Balliol Catholic son of a convert mother, Hilaire Belloc.

In any case, Sligger Urquhart is now remembered largely as the model
for Mr. Samgrass in Evelyn Waugh's BRIDESHEAD REVISITED and for Prof.
Sillery in several of Anthony Powell's DANCE TO THE MUSIC OF TIME
novels.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com