$2 bill question (Star note)

Old December 22nd 03, 08:20 PM
Lyntoy1

Default $2 bill question (Star note)

OK, I am sure you are all sick of this type question, so please accept my
apologies in advance. I got a 1976 series $2 bill in change and it is my first
star note in that denomination. Serial L00024725* and folded but little wear or
dirt. Are these a desirable or more collectable note? As of now, I know nothing
about star notes (or any other, really) but I look for them and put them in my
safe just for fun. At the worst, it is a very small savings account. At the
best, I will find an error note or something else unusual while I search. :-)
Thanks! Mike
Old December 22nd 03, 09:24 PM
AKeough

Mike,
A $2 star, from the I or J district, in the same condition, would bring a
premium. But L stars really need to be uncirculated to be worth more than face.
-Drew
Old December 23rd 03, 04:10 AM
Lyntoy1

Drew-
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go ahead and put this with my $38 hoard of
stars, and just feel lucky to own one at all! Mike
Old December 24th 03, 02:58 PM
fishbulb

What is a star note?....I am new here :-)

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:50:25 GMT, Jesse wrote:

(Lyntoy1) wrote in news:20031222221034.15425.00001690@mb-
m03.aol.com:

Drew-
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll go ahead and put this with my $38 hoard of
stars, and just feel lucky to own one at all! Mike

Thats the way to look at it.
At the very least,your great grandchildren might be happy someday that you
had the foresight to stash them away.
I know if my great grandfather has the foresight to stash away a couple
rolls of 20 cent pieces - Worth 20 cents at the time,now well over $1,000
each - I would be tickled pink.

Old December 24th 03, 06:37 PM
Jesse

fishbulb wrote in
:

What is a star note?....I am new here :-)

In the process of printing,some notes have errors and cannot be released to
the public. They replace these notes with others,and there is a little star
next to the serial numbers to mark it as a replacement.
I don't know exact figures,but I've read something of the order of less
than 1% in any given year are star notes,which makes them collectable.

Old December 24th 03, 06:38 PM
whohah

A 'Star' note has a Star in the serial number. It replaces one of the
letters in the serial number. These notes are printed with a separate range
of numbers and are used to replace notes either damaged in the manufacturing
process or otherwise not deemed acceptable for circulation. As such, these
notes represent about 0.1% or less of the total number of notes in
circulation. I expect that others can expand on this definition.

Jay in Garrison, TX
State 2A, Div. II, Footbal Champions for 2003!!!
reply, if ya' wanna, to