Great story about 1933 Double Eagle

Old March 14th 04, 05:04 PM
Barry

Default Great story about 1933 Double Eagle

Found this link on the PCGS forum. Makes for good reading:
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1046288235244
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies
Old March 14th 04, 05:21 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Barry wrote:

Found this link on the PCGS forum. Makes for good reading:
http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1046288235244
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

Yow! That's first rate reporting! Thanks for the link, Barry!

Alan
'bookmarked'
Old March 14th 04, 06:33 PM
Jerry Dennis

Truly a great story, but to really get the feel for everything involved,
Southeby's catelog contains the most detailed information I've found.

Jerry
Retired Saint Pool Guru (how does this keep coming up?) :-)

"Alan Williams" provides:

Old March 15th 04, 12:22 AM
RW Julian

A considerable amount of information not found in either the Sotheby's
catalogue or the Frankel
account noted below may be seen in a lengthy article published in the
Numismatic News issue of
October 1, 2002.

RW Julian

Old March 16th 04, 02:34 AM
Coin Saver

From: Barry
Great story about 1933 Double Eagle

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1046288235244

If this is an accurate account, then it gives a subtle hint that - yet - there
may be a few 1933 Double Eagles out there ...

Read between the lines ... it said basically that George McCann was suspected
of having stolen the "nine 1933 Double Eagles known to be in circulation", this
being 'discovered' in 1944.

BUT the number of 1933 Double Eagles were assessed only by means of those they
were able to track; McCann sold the stolen double eagles to a Philadelphia
jeweler named Israel Switt.

Both of these men had jaded pasts, Swit for 'dealing' in scarce coins who came
into them in questionable manners, and McCann, for previously stealing coins
from the Mint.

Makes one wonder - McCann, having served time for theft from the Mint, is, at
times, in charge of the vault keys. He was later suspected of stealing gold
"scrap" - whic contained the bulk of the 445,500 1933 Double Eagles which were
cast.

There were 466 Double Eagles in a casier's vault which were being closely
watched; supposedly they felt that if any were stolen, it would be from there.
But those were all accounted for.

It "infers" that the coins McCann stole were from the "scrap" content. It also
says there had been only nine stolen, as nine were all that they could locate.

Their investigation started in 1944, when one of the Double Eagles surfaced at
an auction. At that time, all of the peole between the original 'theft' and
the seller were dead, including both Switt & McCann.

Now; there were 445,500 Double Eagles Minted, and being held in the "scrap"
vault, and later supposedly melted down - but it took them 11 years before they
realized 'some' had left the Mint illegally.

.... and we're to believe ole George 'took' ONLY nine? Somehow, I don't buy it.
He was good at what he did - they didn't even suspect him until after he was
dead.

It could be that there are more, and those who have them are either still
skeptical that they'll get seized, or get stolen, if they admit they have them.
And, who's to say that there aren't any others that had made their way
overseas?

Time will tell ...

8-]
Coin Saver