Scott v Gibbons

Old September 21st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Alan

Default Scott v Gibbons

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.
Old September 21st 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Arthur

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:19:09 GMT, Alan wrote:

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons actually list the worldwide dealers whose lists they use to make up
their farcical prices.

I dare say Scott do the same.

I've never seen a Scott catalogue so I wonder: are their prices are as wide of
the mark as Gibbons'?

Old September 21st 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Alan wrote:
I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons deals in stamps; Scott doesn't.

For information about how Scott determines pricing, go to
http://www.scottonline.com/NewsandNotes/NN_howto.asp
and scroll down to "Catalogue values."

Bill
Old September 21st 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Mateles

Scott devotes everal pages in their U.S. Specialized Catalogue introduction
to illustration of the various grades of centering and to the factors that
need to be considered in pricing, e.g., defects, hinges. Whether one agrees
with their pricing or not, the basis is pretty well covered.

As to what sellers claim to be the grade, that's another story!

Rich Mateles

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 12:47:47 GMT, (Arthur) found
these
unused words floating about:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:19:09 GMT, Alan wrote:

I would imagine that Stanley Gibbons call on their retail and auction
business plus many other sources to produce the price values in their
catalogues. Is anyone aware how Scott obtains information to produce
their own catalogues?.

Gibbons actually list the worldwide dealers whose lists they use to make
up
their farcical prices.

I dare say Scott do the same.

I've never seen a Scott catalogue so I wonder: are their prices are as
wide of
the mark as Gibbons'?

Considering that Scutt has gone to pricing only VF copies (two grades
above
the 'normal' stuff found in dealer's shops in reality), yep !!!

Unfortunately, they also do not show what makes a specified condition, so
the general user hasn't a clue how to buy a good, fine or better copy.
I've
seen many Scutt dealers selling off centre, pulled perfs, etc. as VF and
then offer 20% off Scutt. Whoo-pee!

Old September 21st 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Gibbons also has a financial interest in keeping prices moving up, scutt
just throws darts IMHO.

Scutt?
Most of those darts land at 20 cents...

Bill
Old September 22nd 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ian-b

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Gibbons also has a financial interest in keeping prices moving up, scutt
just throws darts IMHO.

A real price list (US) would be Brookman, for the UK ???

The Stoneham catalogue, recently republished, purports to show market
prices and lists the dealers that have contributed info and knowledge.

Stoneham retails at £16 compared with £24 for SG's Concise, and has
actual new scans of all the stamps, including all the Machins so that
colours can be seen. The numbering is different, of course, and the
organisation of the catalogue takes some getting used to, but it is a
good cat. One dealer I know has sold 3 boxes at fairs, that's about 60
copies.

--
Ian Billings
Norvic Philatelics APS#207617 ATA#54619

Old September 23rd 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ian-b

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Stoneham's been around since 1978 ... 9th ed. was 1988, so the '78 was
probably the first they made.

Yes, I have had two earlier editions. The latest is the
13th.

Until they pooched the pup and 'renumbered', I'd indexed my inventory by
their numbers as they had separate numbers for plates and major differences.

The latest version is published by the Machin Collectors Club
in Norfolk, England, and they have just announced the 'Simplified'
pocket-size at only £5.95, on sale from October 15 - see
http://www.machins.org/