Winnipeg Class tagging - Canadian stamps 1962-1972

Old January 12th 04, 03:48 AM
K. Patrick Laffin

Default Winnipeg Class tagging - Canadian stamps 1962-1972

Can anyone tell me what I am looking for on Canadian Christmas stamps
and assorted other issues. Are these phosphorescent like the British
stamps of the same period or are they fluorescent like Ottawa tagged
stamps from 1972 onwards?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old January 12th 04, 02:11 PM
kevin

Winnipeg tagging is similar to Ottawa, but instead of showing green, in a
dark room when you turn the UV lamp off it will glow for a few seconds...
you can see it with the UV lamp on depending on the issue... hope this
helps... kk

"K. Patrick Laffin" wrote in message
s.com...
Can anyone tell me what I am looking for on Canadian Christmas stamps
and assorted other issues. Are these phosphorescent like the British
stamps of the same period or are they fluorescent like Ottawa tagged
stamps from 1972 onwards?

Thanks,
Patrick

---

Old January 12th 04, 03:12 PM
TC

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 02:48:28 GMT, K. Patrick Laffin
wrote:

Can anyone tell me what I am looking for on Canadian Christmas stamps
and assorted other issues. Are these phosphorescent like the British
stamps of the same period or are they fluorescent like Ottawa tagged
stamps from 1972 onwards?

Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick:

Which year's issues are you referring to?

Christmas issues are issued almost every year.

Canada has issued both types of stamps.

[eg The 1966 Xmas issue exists TAGGED
(Scott 451p and q and 452p) and
NOT TAGGED (Scott 451-2).]

From 1962-73 various experiments took
place with taggung / luminescence.

From Scott 611 (Jan. 31, 1973) onward
most, if not all stamps are "tagged".

Blair

Old January 12th 04, 04:45 PM
Pete Ware

In article m,
K. Patrick Laffin wrote:

Can anyone tell me what I am looking for on Canadian Christmas stamps
and assorted other issues. Are these phosphorescent like the British
stamps of the same period or are they fluorescent like Ottawa tagged
stamps from 1972 onwards?

Winnipeg tagged stamps were phosphorescent and Ottawa (or General)
tagged stamps were fluorescent.

With Winnipeg tagged stamps, you can just barely see the bars
without needing a light. Usually, they glowed a bright greenish-white
shade. The bars were either wide, narrow, on one side or the other, both
sides, or in the middle. It depended on the letter rate, plus they were
experimenting on what worked best for the equipment.

Ottawa tagged stamps, OTOH, glow a bright green. Although on older
issues with the Type 1 tagging (with migrating phosphor) they now have a
dim yellowish appearance. All of my issues with this compound have bled
into the entire stamp, mount and page, leaving just a faded ghost of the
original bars. Later changes produced a more stable formula, so that it
stayed where it was applied. Ottawa (General) tagged issues were mainly
two bar - that is applied between the stamp design over the perforations
from top to bottom. There are variations to this, and now, most are
applied around the circumference of the stamp. Some exceptions being
where the design juts into its neighbour - then there is a break in the
tagging. Thge 2002 48 cent 100th Anniversary of the Canadian Postmasters
and Assistants Association is one example of this.

IIRC, all Canadian glow in the long-wave light. American stamps, I
know, used the other opposite wave (short if Canadian used long.)

--
Pete Ware
Thomasburg ON

Getting Out of the Hobby Star Commons Sale (Prices Slashed). uncleduke Hockey 0 July 1st 04 01:41 PM
GOALIES @ 60% OFF US George Cronn Hockey 0 April 13th 04 08:29 PM
looking for 02-03 Topps Chrome commons TJMichalak Hockey 0 December 18th 03 10:01 PM
90/91 Score singles L8TR Hockey 0 November 28th 03 07:48 AM
90/91 Score Canadian Dogger Hockey 0 November 15th 03 08:23 AM