Survey: What snipe program do you use?

Old February 5th 04, 06:39 PM
Eric Babula

Default Survey: What snipe program do you use?

I figure it's about time I looked into snipe programs, since I seem to
always be the snipee, and I want to be the sniper! I'm often not around
a computer for auction end, and want to see if these programs will help
me win some auctions I otherwise lose, or don't even attempt to bid on.

I did a little search on Google, and came up with these possibilities:

http://www.esnipe.com/
http://www.vrane.com/
http://www.snipeswipe.com/
http://www.powersnipe.com/
http://bidtamer.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm
http://www.cniper.com/
http://www.phantombidder.com/PhantomBidder/Default.asp

It seems that esnipe and vrane were the two most popular ones, in the
little search that I did. I have not really looked into all of these
snipe programs, yet. I will be doing that, soon. In the meantime, I'm
hoping I can get some input from you about these snipe programs (and
others, if you have a favorite).

So, here's the survey part:

1. Do you use any/all of these programs?
2. What do you like/dislike about it/them?
3. Do you have a different snipe program you like to use?
4. If so, what is it?
5. What is the best (in your opinion) FREE snipe program available?
6. Are there limits to how many snipes you can do with any of these
snipe programs?
7. What do you like/dislike about the free snipe programs?

--
Thanks!!

Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old February 5th 04, 08:10 PM
Bob Flaminio

Eric Babula wrote:
1. Do you use any/all of these programs?

I use PhantomBidder, and on occasion, cniper

2. What do you like/dislike about it/them?

For PhantomBidder, I like the reliability (hasn't missed one yet), the
price (flat rate -- many of the services price based on a percentage of
the winning bid), easy to use interface (especially the toolbar add-in),
and "bid group" feature, which is invaluable if there's several auctions
for the same thing running, and you only need *one*.

Cniper I only like 'cause it's free. It's not particularly reliable, so
I would never use it for a crucial snipe, but the price is right.

5. What is the best (in your opinion) FREE snipe program available?

None -- all the free ones suck in some way, either through unreliabilty
or by limiting you in some way (x snipes per day, etc.). Plus they tend
to be rather featureless.

6. Are there limits to how many snipes you can do with any of these
snipe programs?

No limits with PhantomBidder -- any number, any dollar amount.

7. What do you like/dislike about the free snipe programs?

See answer to (5) above.

--
Bob

Old February 5th 04, 09:09 PM
Grandpa

I don't use any, IMO they are cheesy and unethical - not the right term
but you get my drift.

Old February 5th 04, 09:22 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

I don't use any, IMO they are cheesy and unethical - not the right term
but you get my drift.

Why do you say this (feeling a GREAT debate about to emerge)? I LOVE
using esnipe. I can just enter what the most I'll pay is without
broadcasting that amount to the world. I don't wan't to get an ego-based
bidding war going, so I avoid it by placing snipey bids.

Scot Kamins
--
Currently liquidating a collection of US slabs
For a list, see http://www.dogeared.com/coins.html
Old February 5th 04, 09:37 PM
Scottishmoney

"Eric Babula" wrote in message
. ..
I figure it's about time I looked into snipe programs, since I seem to
always be the snipee, and I want to be the sniper! I'm often not around
a computer for auction end, and want to see if these programs will help
me win some auctions I otherwise lose, or don't even attempt to bid on.

I did a little search on Google, and came up with these possibilities:

http://www.esnipe.com/
http://www.vrane.com/
http://www.snipeswipe.com/
http://www.powersnipe.com/
http://bidtamer.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm
http://www.cniper.com/
http://www.phantombidder.com/PhantomBidder/Default.asp

I used the vrane.com one once, the one freebie time you could use it. It
worked successfully, but I am too cheap to pay for something I can do myself
if I really wanted something.

Dave

---

Old February 6th 04, 12:00 AM
RR

I use hammersnipe
http://hammertap.auctionstealer.com/

It looks a lot like the bidtamer url.

Easy to use.
$5/month for unlimited use.

can either snipe thru their main web page, or can add a special url to my
web browser that I click on while I'm looking at an ebay auction, and a
snipe pop-up comes up that asks how much to bid and when to snipe. I use
that most of the time.

Randy

Old February 6th 04, 01:40 AM
Bruce Remick

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
In article ,
Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

I don't use any, IMO they are cheesy and unethical - not the right term
but you get my drift.

Why do you say this (feeling a GREAT debate about to emerge)? I LOVE
using esnipe. I can just enter what the most I'll pay is without
broadcasting that amount to the world. I don't wan't to get an ego-based
bidding war going, so I avoid it by placing snipey bids.

I have to agree with Grandpa. I don't use one either. I often enter the
most I'll pay early or midway through an auction, and my actual bid is *not*
broadcast to the world until the auction ends and I win or lose. Even when
you set a snipe, you have a bid limit. If your pre-set snipe bid doesn't
exceed my mid-auction bid, what's the point of sniping? And tough luck if
discover your snipe fell .03 shy of my bid with only four seconds to go. (I
printed out a couple of wins I had like that, just to refer to in down
times) I may have paid my max, but the sniper lost out too if he really did
want that item. Personally, I picture a devoted sniper as one who gets a
secret charge out of swooping down at the last second to zap someone who was
just about to write a check (for that coin for his invalid grandson's
birthday). This may even override actaully winning the item-- causing the
winner to lose any possible bargain. At my age (and Grandpa's, too), that
high just doesn't turn me on, and whenever I lose out to a snipe bid, my
rage usually totally dissipates after only ten seconds.

Bruce
'and Grandpa'

Old February 6th 04, 02:31 AM
Scot Kamins

In article GmCUb.29226$u_6.4829@lakeread04,
"Bruce Remick" wrote:

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message

If your pre-set snipe bid doesn't
exceed my mid-auction bid, what's the point of sniping?

Well, in that case, it isn't effective.

I'm talking about the common scenario where two people get into a
****ing contest. A bid $10. Not to be out-done, B bids $20. A, who has
a max bid of, say, 100, automatically bids $30 (or whatever the system
determines is the minumum automatic bid). B bids 40 - and so it goes.
If I'm A, I might have gotten the item for my $10 had I sniped.

Another common scenario is "bidding fever." Some folks won't bid unless
they see an item already has a bed - and that sets things off.

A third scenario is when a bidder is known as an expert in the field.
The expert places a bid and other folks, seeing it, decide that this
must be a worthwhile item to bid on - and so they do. This has happened
to me in my specializied area of book collecting.

All these scenarios are defeated - or at least contained well - if I use
a sniping service. I might not get the item, but I save a lot of
irritation.

Scot Kamins
Old February 6th 04, 03:32 AM
phil

I'm with Dave-I'm cheap!This is a pleasurable hobby for me,I don't need to
get crazy,if I really want something,I'll go for it,but a lot of the time,if
its an active item,the price will go up fairly quickly,and then you really
have to evaluate how badly you want the item.
I have come up with a little system that works for me if I really want
something.Its works well for me,almost all the time.
I've been outsniped on a few occasions-I just rack it up to someone else
wanting it a little more,and willing to pay a little more for it.Most of the
'one of a kind' items are out of reach anyway.

Old February 6th 04, 03:38 AM
Harold Fears

I use Snip at http://www.snip.pl/en/ , which is 100 % free and the program
works like a champ.