Survey: What snipe program do you use?

Old March 8th 04, 02:26 AM
PHILLIP COYLE

I used to set until the end and by using a count down timer place the bid in
the last 20 sec. but any more I may just fall asleep and miss the whole
thing so I found Hammer Snipe and I never watch over an auction any more. If
I lose it is because it sold for more then I wanted to pay for it to begin
with.

"Alaska Larry" wrote in message
Not to mention getting caught up in the last minute excitement and over
bidding what you normally would have just to win.
Alaska Larry

Bob Flaminio wrote:
Jorg Lueke wrote:

Jorg Lueke wrote:

I like the manual method of opening two browsers windows, getting
the bid ready in one and the whammo! It's free, fun, and highly
effective ;-)

I agree about the free and fun bits, but highly effective? There's no
comparison with robo-sniping. The advantage of not having to be at a
computer at the auction end time should not be underestimated. I'd
much rather go out and play rather than wait for an auction to end.

You trust technology more than I

What's not to trust? For manually sniped coins, there's been many a time
where the auction end came and went, and I had just forgot about it. My
robo-sniper has only ever missed once, and it was eBay's fault. If we're
scoring manual vs. robo, robo wins hands down.

Old March 8th 04, 03:28 AM
BAJJERFAN

It might also depend on how badly you want the item.
Old March 8th 04, 05:54 AM
A.Gent

--
Bob

Oh cut it out, Bob!
Sitting at the PC, heart pounding, watching the clock tick the countdown is more than
half the fun!

I love outsniping the snipers. Got lots of winning bids in with 1-2 seconds to go.

Its all part of the game.

(Unless, of course, I'm on the road or at work.)

Jeff

Old March 8th 04, 09:26 AM
A.Gent

"A.Gent" wrote in message

Oh cut it out, Bob!
Sitting at the PC, heart pounding, watching the clock tick the countdown is more

than
half the fun!

I love outsniping the snipers. Got lots of winning bids in with 1-2 seconds to go.

Its all part of the game.

(replying to self...)

Case in point:
http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws3/eBayISA...tem=3901020924

Check out the time remaining.

;-)

Yes, that was fun.
And, I am happy with the price.

Jeff

Old February 8th 05, 10:28 PM
A. Roy

Hello, Ed Hendricks!
You wrote:

I can only think of one reason to put in a low bid early

if you intend to
snipe the auction. If the auction has a reserve price,

putting in a low
opening bid will keep someone from buying it at the

reserve price before you
get a chance to snipe. So if the opening bid is $0.99 and

has a reserve, go
ahead and bid the 99¢ to do away with the reserve. Wait

for another bidder
to bid, then put your snipe bid on it.

Here's another reason: to prevent the seller from raising
the starting bid. A seller did this to me once after I asked
a question about his auction item.

--
See ya ...

My Canadian Numismatic Books: