A nice April Fools yarn, for our Belgian friends.

Old January 16th 04, 07:17 AM

Default A nice April Fools yarn, for our Belgian friends.

(See bottom-post}

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:23:33 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

STAMP DEALER

Stamp dealers for more than a century have been buying and selling postage stamps by the million.
Now one of them has been featured on a stamp another philatelic "first".
He is the great 19th Century Belgian dealer Jean'Baptiste Moens (1833-1908)
who was depicted on the lOf stamp issued by Belgium last October to mark the
50th anniversary of the founding of the Belgian Stamp Dealers' Association.
"The Philatelic Exporter" (UK) tells this interesting back-ground story,about Moens:
Besides being one of the leading dealers in Europe, J-B Moens produced albums,
catalogues, etc., and published his own magazine Le Timbres-Poste.
This was published monthly on the 15th, and an anecdote about it,
although now well established in philatelic lore, will perhaps stand further repetition.
Moens, not unlike some editors today, was plagued by a
contemporary who 'lifted' news items from his magazine without permission or acknowledgement.
To teach the plagiarist a lesson, the April 15, 1867, number of Le Timbre-Poste
contained a letter from I S. Neom reporting a new issue of' stamps from the
'Commune of Moresnet' and stating that these had been printed by DeVisch and Livra.
Some short while afterwards the plagiarist's paper appeared with a similar report,
together with the further intelligence that he would soon have
the stamps available and the price at which he would sell them.
Too late did he discover that J. S. Neom was an anagram of J. Moens;
that DeVisch is the Flemish word for fish which, in French, is synonymous with fool;
and Livra was an anagram of Avril, the French word for April.
April fool he undoubtedly was, and Moen's customers and friends revelled in his discomforture.

Australian Stamp News February 1974

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Thanks for the story, Rodney!

Here we are in January, and Supernews has still "retained" your April
3rd 2003 message in RCSD. Actually, AGENT headerlist goes back to Tony
Clayton's post on April 2, but when selected, a red x appears, and
message (sorry, this message is no longer available) appears.

Other good News Services such as NewsFeeds, EasyNews, GigaNews, etc.
have long retention times also.
S.
Old January 16th 04, 09:12 AM
Rodney

G'day S,
Wow, you had me in a time warp there.

Try this link
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...stamps.discuss

(make sure link is one line across the page)

These posts are kept forever IIRC
and you can search topic sensitive.

HTH

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old January 16th 04, 09:37 AM
Rodney

Off on a tangent,
I recently heard a quip.

"If you borrow from one source, it's plagiarism,
If you borrow from many, it's research."

--

(Remove gum to reply)

"Rodney" wrote in message ...
| G'day S,
| Wow, you had me in a time warp there.
|
| Try this link

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...stamps.discuss

| (make sure link is one line across the page)
|
| These posts are kept forever IIRC
| and you can search topic sensitive.
|
| HTH
|

| --
|
| (Remove gum to reply)
|

| "S" wrote in message ...
| | (See bottom-post}
| |
| | On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:23:33 +0800, "Rodney"
| | wrote:
| |
| | STAMP DEALER
| |
| | Stamp dealers for more than a century have been buying and selling postage stamps by the million.
| | Now one of them has been featured on a stamp another philatelic "first".
| | He is the great 19th Century Belgian dealer Jean'Baptiste Moens (1833-1908)
| | who was depicted on the lOf stamp issued by Belgium last October to mark the
| | 50th anniversary of the founding of the Belgian Stamp Dealers' Association.
| | "The Philatelic Exporter" (UK) tells this interesting back-ground story,about Moens:
| | Besides being one of the leading dealers in Europe, J-B Moens produced albums,
| | catalogues, etc., and published his own magazine Le Timbres-Poste.
| | This was published monthly on the 15th, and an anecdote about it,
| | although now well established in philatelic lore, will perhaps stand further repetition.
| | Moens, not unlike some editors today, was plagued by a
| | contemporary who 'lifted' news items from his magazine without permission or acknowledgement.
| | To teach the plagiarist a lesson, the April 15, 1867, number of Le Timbre-Poste
| | contained a letter from I S. Neom reporting a new issue of' stamps from the
| | 'Commune of Moresnet' and stating that these had been printed by DeVisch and Livra.
| | Some short while afterwards the plagiarist's paper appeared with a similar report,
| | together with the further intelligence that he would soon have
| | the stamps available and the price at which he would sell them.
| | Too late did he discover that J. S. Neom was an anagram of J. Moens;
| | that DeVisch is the Flemish word for fish which, in French, is synonymous with fool;
| | and Livra was an anagram of Avril, the French word for April.
| | April fool he undoubtedly was, and Moen's customers and friends revelled in his discomforture.
| |
| | Australian Stamp News February 1974
| |
| | ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| | Thanks for the story, Rodney!
| |

Old January 16th 04, 10:04 AM
Victor Manta

"Rodney" wrote in message
Off on a tangent,
I recently heard a quip.

"If you borrow from one source, it's plagiarism,
If you borrow from many, it's research."

Great! :-)

An equivalent one is: The books are written from other books.

I wonder if the catalogue editors use the material published by their
competitors for the improvement of their own products. Actually, why not?

Also the stamp designers attentively look at what their colleagues do, which
have as result some kind of worldwide "fashion" movements and permit us
sometimes a quicker approximation of the issuing period. Which doesn't mean
that the graphics became more sophisticated in time, rather the contrary
being true (i.e. more color and less work, what is unfortunately illustrated
even by the SNA production

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old January 16th 04, 04:51 PM
triumvir

Tiny comment: DeVisch is not the modern Flemish word for fish, vis is.
Visch is olde Flemish (oud Vlaemsch, as opposed to Vlaams), and De
means The (duh). Details..
Old January 16th 04, 05:52 PM
Victor Manta

"triumvir" wrote in message
m...
Tiny comment: DeVisch is not the modern Flemish word for fish, vis is.
Visch is olde Flemish (oud Vlaemsch, as opposed to Vlaams), and De
means The (duh). Details..

I have never said the contrary :-)

Victor Manta

Old January 16th 04, 11:47 PM
Locus

"Victor Manta" wrote in message ...
"triumvir" wrote in message
m...
Tiny comment: DeVisch is not the modern Flemish word for fish, vis is.
Visch is olde Flemish (oud Vlaemsch, as opposed to Vlaams), and De
means The (duh). Details..

I have never said the contrary :-)

My post was in response to the OP Rodney, but for some reason Google
wouldn't let me reply directly to his message That also why I
deleted any remainder of your reply.

Victor Manta

Old January 17th 04, 04:53 AM

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:12:41 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

G'day S,
Wow, you had me in a time warp there.

Try this link
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...stamps.discuss

(make sure link is one line across the page)

These posts are kept forever IIRC
and you can search topic sensitive.

HTH

++++++++++++++++++
G'day to you, too, Sir!
Your link opened new vistas for me,
because I've been viewing Usenet via AGENT/Supernews/ISP/dial-up
telephone since 1998, and was totally unaware that Google has been
archiving all that OLD stuff!

In my stupidity, Google was a dandy lookup tool and AnyWho was a good
place to find lost Classmates, but I never associated either with
"Usenet".

Apparently Google also lets "members" respond to threads, too, but I
intend to continue via Agent. Google carries only certain NGs which
they have chosen from among the many thousands existing.

Thanks for the education . . . now I can understand why Tracy wipes
out all "read" messages!
I was puzzled by his post which said that if he wanted an old Post, he
could get it from Google.
S.

Old January 17th 04, 07:12 AM
Rodney

| G'day to you, too, Sir!
| Your link opened new vistas for me,

Another cute idea, if you search that Google link
and discriminate by searching all posts by........"S"
You can see every post you have ever made to RCSD,

(If you are naughty, the past can come back and bite you :0)

Old January 17th 04, 06:55 PM
Tracy Barber

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:12:31 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

| G'day to you, too, Sir!
| Your link opened new vistas for me,

Another cute idea, if you search that Google link
and discriminate by searching all posts by........"S"
You can see every post you have ever made to RCSD,

(If you are naughty, the past can come back and bite you :0)

Except for the people who use X-NoArchive...

Tracy Barber