FP - return policy for online orders?

Old August 31st 03, 05:16 AM
Pahoo

Default FP - return policy for online orders?

What seems to be a reasonable return policy if one orders a pen via catalog
or online, in so far as the customer want to see, feel and examine the pen.
I have read the FAQ's about asking to ink a pen, in a retail store, but I
wouldn't expect a mail order house to be that generous.

For example, I would love to see a Pelikan M300. I know it is small, but I
will never get a chance to actually see one before I buy it. I would like
to see, feel and handle one. It seems that return policies vary from
merchant to merchant. How many days to return unused is customary? I have
very limited experience in online FP purchases.

In fact the first fountain pen I bought I had for 10 days and it developed a
leak. The online seller told to send it to the manufacturer. I would have
thought the seller would have replaced it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-----
Pahoo

Old August 31st 03, 05:55 PM
Bluesea

"Pahoo" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

I'm not sure about what you're asking. It seems to me that since you're
already aware that return policies vary, you need to compare each seller's
policy and decide for yourself which seem reasonable to you. If you don't
like it, don't purchase from that/those seller(s), the same as you do or
don't at any brick and mortar establishment.

In all of life, there's always some risk. How much and of what type is a
personal choice.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 31st 03, 07:31 PM
kcat

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:27:32 -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:

"Pahoo" writes:

What seems to be a reasonable return policy if one orders a pen via catalog
or online, in so far as the customer want to see, feel and examine
the pen.

Fountain Pen Hospital has a 30-day no questions return policy[1] and
they've honored it in my experience. Levenger just says "we'll make
it right"[2] and doesn't give a return window, but I haven't had any
troubles returning things to them.

Levenger's customer service said "well, it'd be *best* if you can get
it back within 90 days." And they offered to pay shipping on the
exchanged pen as well as the returned pen. (i bought one pen, found
it skipped and decided to try another rather than try to tweak the
flow myself.) They were great to deal with but I was lazy and paid
return postage anyway. They refunded the full cost of the pen - and
the pen I bought was already pre-inked so... I think that's pretty
darn good. I know they'd treat a new pen with the same quality
service.

I didn't wait any 90 days of course - too impatient for that.

Most are pretty good about returns/refunds for full amount sans S&H.
At least of the several on-line distributors I've used.