Looking for distinctive coin

Old August 14th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve McQueen

Default Looking for distinctive coin

Hi guys,

This question may be a little out of the ordinary but I was wondering if
I could tap your collective intelligence on a coin-related question :-)

I'm not actually a coin collector but I'm a poker player and I've been
trying to think of an idea for a card protector for a while and I hit on
the idea of using an old coin. Unfortunately, I know next to nothing
about coin collecting so I was wondering if you guys could give me some
ideas?

Basically, what I'm looking for is a coin that's:

- Relatively inexpensive
- Interesting in some way, maybe some historical interest or from an
unusual/interesting time/place - ideas I had were maybe old U.S., maybe
war-era German or perhaps some kind of native american indian coin?
- Slightly on the large & heavy side for a coin
- Pretty readily available (e.g. through eBay or something like that)

As I said, I'm looking for a coin protector so it's really not important
to me to have an uncirculated coin as this thing's going to get bashed
around a lot.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'd really appreciate your ideas :-)

Best regards,
Steve
Old August 14th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Aug 14, 3:16*pm, Steve McQueen wrote:
[...]

If you want an even bigger one, try a Russian 5 Kopek similar to eBay
item #330352318595
Old August 15th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter wrote:
[...]

:-)

Best regards,
Steve

If you want an even bigger one, try a Russian 5 Kopek similar to eBay
item #330352318595

Oh heck, why not go for broke with a piece of Yap stone money?

James the Yapper

Old August 15th 09, 12:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Thomas A.[_2_]

Steve McQueen wrote:
[...]

I don't know too much about poker, but the images I get (probably from
movies) are America, Old West and cowboy hats. Along that line I'd suggest
a good old American silver dollar. It's going to get bashed around so you
wouldn't want an UNC coin. I'd go for a Morgan Dollar, lower grade (like
VF) and with a Carson City (CC) mintmark. Since it's a beater, you can
shine it up so it will look nice and you don't need the high detail that
brings the big bucks and "Carson City" sure has an old west, gambling sort
of feel to it.

Go to eBay and search for "morgan dollar carson city". Don't buy anything
in a "slab" or anything that says uncirculated. You should be able to get a
pretty nice piece for about $30 or $40, I'd say.

Now many coin collectors have just had a heart attack, but this is not a
coin for a collection - he just wants a cool card protector. There are
enough so-so grade Morgans around that the collecting community won't miss
one more.

Old August 15th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Aug 14, 7:17*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Peter wrote:
[...]

James the Yapper- Hide quoted text -

Wheels for an even bigger cart?
Old August 15th 09, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Thomas A." wrote in message
m...
Steve McQueen wrote:
[...]

With poker and Old West and cowboy hats in mind, a cheap but appropriate
card protector might be one of the many fantasy bawdy house tokens from
western towns. Lots of clever, real-looking examples to choose from, as
long as you don't need an authentic coin for this purpose. These
brass/bronze tokens may not be as hefty as the coins already suggested, but
they will probably attract more attention.

Old August 15th 09, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter wrote:
[...]

Didn't Fred Flintstone's ride have wheels like that?

James the Prehistoric

Old August 15th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Thomas A.[_2_]

Bruce Remick wrote:
"Thomas A." wrote in message
m...
Steve McQueen wrote:
[...]

This is a GREAT idea! At least I think it fits into the poker-playing, Old
West metaphor playing in my mind.

Old August 15th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

Peter wrote:
[...]

Oh, stop picking on the guy. I recommend a Pan-Pac $50.

Jerry
Dreaming
Old August 15th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Peter wrote:
[...]

I had enough trouble with a Pan-Pac 50c.

James the Commemorator