Gold/Silver Soar - Depression Coming?

Old September 19th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
longnine009

Default Gold/Silver Soar - Depression Coming?

"sgt23" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
"Voltronicus" wrote in message

Things don't look good.

I'm going to buy stock in a company that
sells air freshener. I figure by the time Laurel
and Hardy finish unloading wallstreets toxic
waste dumps in every taxpayers living room
sales of Air Freshener will be booming.
That can even be a campaign promise you know:
"A can Air Freshener on every shelf." And more
promises of vouchers for anyone with chee-drins.

Why not invest in tombstones, they're probably going to be alot of
early graves soon. Yeah I know its an ugly comment but alot of people
killed them selves back in 1929. Might also try food stocks like
General Meals or who ever makes the Ramon noodles. They're will be
alot of people buying them types of food if they market gets much
worse.

Let them jump. Propping up cockroaches on wallstreet and
home loan borrowers who clearly can't count to twenty-one
without taking their clothes off first only keeps the stupid
genes in the gene pool--at someone else's expense.

Old September 19th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
"Voltronicus" wrote in message

Things don't look good.

I'm going to buy stock in a company that
sells air freshener. I figure by the time Laurel
and Hardy finish unloading wallstreets toxic
waste dumps in every taxpayers living room
sales of Air Freshener will be booming.
That can even be a campaign promise you know:
"A can Air Freshener on every shelf." And more
promises of vouchers for anyone with chee-drins.

Why not invest in tombstones, they're probably going to be alot of
early graves soon. Yeah I know its an ugly comment but alot of
people killed them selves back in 1929. Might also try food stocks
like General Meals or who ever makes the Ramon noodles. They're
will be alot of people buying them types of food if they market
gets much worse.

Please cite a reliable source to back up your claim regarding
Depression-era suicide statistics. Anecdotal sensationalism and
urban myths do not count extra. If you succeed, it will contradict
everything I learned in a graduate course in U.S. History.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/elro/glos...depression.htm

The suicide rate climbed from 14% to 17% per hundred thousand.

14 to 17 per 100,000, not 14% to 17%. Think about the meaning of what you
wrote.

Based on 1930 population figures, that an increase in the number
suicides of about 37,000. (I used 1930 population because it was
easier to find. That would make the 37,000 a bit low if the
population was larger in 1932)

An increase from 14 to 17 per 100,000 would be an increase of 3 per 100,000,
30 per million, and about 37 hundred, not 37 thousand, per 123 million (I
found the same population, probably in the same place you did).

All suicides were not for Depression-related causes, but the spike in
number would certainly indicate that there's a strong correlation.

Yes, on the empirical, rather than experimental, level.

What did you learn in a graduate course in U.S. History that
contradicts this? I don't normally ask for cites since that infers
that you are not to be believed, but since you are asking for cites,
then you should provide one to back up your claim. What you remember
from a class is just as much anecdotal as a _New Yorker_ cartoon.

It's what was NOT stated that I remember. Before I took the class, I, too,
harbored the mental image of guys jumping from tall buildings right and
left. It's the standard mythology. As intense as that class was, and
stickler for details as was the professor, I base my claim on the fact
(which, of course, I cannot verify to anyone's satisfaction) that he would
have made a big deal about it if it were true. He did not.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't conclude that there was a large
number of stockbrokers jumping out of office windows on or after Black
Friday. That may be urban myth. The bulk of the suicides would have
been by ordinary people suffering from depression (small "d") because
of losing their jobs, savings, homes, etc.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Additional cites:

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic3004.htm (search for Great
Depression)

http://www.businessandmedia.org/prin...610143517.aspx
(supports the 14 to 17 percent increase)

It reiterates the 14 to 17 per 100,000 increase, which, incidentally,
amounts to a 21.43 percent increase. Unfortunately, the duration of that
elevation is not mentioned.

Why should we consider the instructor in your course to be any more of
reliable source than the ones listed above? Did he have cites?

The textbook for the course was by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. There were
several additional books of contemporary articles and commentary.

I have, by the way, also taken graduate courses.
(MBA/Northwestern/Evanson IL) It took me a few years to learn this,
but some professors are as likely to blow smoke as the bartender at
Charlie's Bar & Grill. Some feel they must produce an answer even if
they don't know one.

I've certainly seen examples of that.

James

Old September 19th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:01:38 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"

Publisher: Eleanore Rosevelt National Historical Site
Author: Unknown
Date of Publish: 2003

Here is article discussing the suicide rate on paragraph 4.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/elro/glos...depression.htm

According to the article, "The suicide rates increased from 14 to 17 per
100,000." Unfortunately there is no mention of how long that increase
persisted, a most important detail,

No, *when* it occurred is the most important detail. As it happens,
the increase did persist, but the timing of the spike gives ample
indication of cause.

nor is there any evidence shown that
ties the increase specifically to conditions brought on by the Depression.
While I don't doubt the raw statistic, I would have to question how
significant it really is. I will give you credit for coming up with this,
though.

If you don't look for evidence, you don't find it. Have you looked
for any evidence that the ten-year rise in suicides, starting at the
beginning of the Great Depression and ending when the economy started
to boom from war production, is *not* related to the Great Depression?

http://tinyurl.com/5pxlo6

Have you looked at what behavioral experts say leads to suicide? Can
you find one that doesn't include financial loss as a major cause?
"Financial loss" is an umbrella that includes loss of job, loss of
home, loss of savings, loss of the ability to support one's family,
loss of social standing, and the loss of dignity that goes along with
financial loss.

And you question if the conditions spawned by the Great Depression
could be significant?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 19th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Author: Unknown
Date of Publish: 2003

Here is article discussing the suicide rate on paragraph 4.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/elro/glos...depression.htm

According to the article, "The suicide rates increased from 14 to 17
per 100,000." Unfortunately there is no mention of how long that
increase persisted, a most important detail,

No, *when* it occurred is the most important detail. As it happens,
the increase did persist, but the timing of the spike gives ample
indication of cause.

Please note my use of "a" as opposed to "the." In addition, you are using a
post hoc, ergo propter hoc argument. Your conclusion may be the correct
one, but your path in arriving at it is quite faulty.

nor is there any evidence shown that
ties the increase specifically to conditions brought on by the
Depression. While I don't doubt the raw statistic, I would have to
question how significant it really is. I will give you credit for
coming up with this, though.

If you don't look for evidence, you don't find it. Have you looked
for any evidence that the ten-year rise in suicides, starting at the
beginning of the Great Depression and ending when the economy started
to boom from war production, is *not* related to the Great Depression?

I am not the one making the claims, thus is is not my responsibility to
"look for evidence." And now here you are asking me to prove a negative to
boot.

http://tinyurl.com/5pxlo6

Have you looked at what behavioral experts say leads to suicide? Can
you find one that doesn't include financial loss as a major cause?
"Financial loss" is an umbrella that includes loss of job, loss of
home, loss of savings, loss of the ability to support one's family,
loss of social standing, and the loss of dignity that goes along with
financial loss.

And you question if the conditions spawned by the Great Depression
could be significant?

Read what I said, Tony. I do not doubt the raw statistic. My doubt centers
upon the statistical significance of an increase from 14 to 17, the same way
I would question a weatherman saying that the temperature "doubled" from 10
to 20 degrees Fahrenheit, an example of sheer scientific nonsense. You seem
to imply that I am casting aspersion upon the poor wretches for whom
conditions were so bad that they felt that they had to terminate their
lives. I assure you that I am not.

James

Old September 19th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 02:16:54 GMT, in wrote:

In article , tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
[...]

that is not what you claimed.

What isn't?

and as stated, it is only a statistic anolomy.

The term, and the spelling, is "statistical anomaly". But it isn't.
The spike lasted for 10 years, and paralleled the Depression in time.

and it's also a government blab that isn't backed up with any source material
or attributions.

It's backed up by the U.S. Bureau of Census data at
http://tinyurl.com/5pxlo6

You expect your blab to be a more acceptable source?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 19th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Sep 18, 10:25*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

When did you got to school? Maybe a lot more has been found out since
then. I was just making a statement, I did not mean for this to turn
into an arguement. But I think most of the people in this group were
on a debate team at one time or another. They do like to argue alot!
Old September 19th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
[...]

I took the course in 1968. The Leuchtenberg text mentioned as the source in
the article you cited was published in 1963. The other source is from 1993.

I don't look at this discussion as an argument. I look at it as a search
for truth, a search that will never be entirely consummated, no matter what
the topic.

I have never been on a debate team. I speak for no one else.

I suggest that you avoid the use of the word "most." But go ahead and do
whatever makes sense to you.

James

Old September 19th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:25:47 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"

tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
[...]

That's where I made the calculation mistake that I posted about later.

When personal computers first became available/affordable, I purchased
an Archives CP/M unit (A and B drive and no internal disk) and
Visi-Calc because I've never been able to do mental calculations and
I'm too impatient to use a pencil and paper.

[...]

So what you are objecting to is the jumping out of buildings suicide
stories, and not the rise in suicides during the Depression years?
Why? Sgt's claim was about the increase in suicides, not methods of
suicide.

A stockbroker jumping out of his office window and splattering himself
on the pavement below is an visual icon of Black Friday and the
subsequent weeks, but it wasn't raining stockbrokers on Wall Street.
Desperate people in Kansas, and Ohio, and all over the country are the
ones reflected in suicide statistics.

By the way, I certainly wouldn't conclude that there was a large
number of stockbrokers jumping out of office windows on or after Black
Friday. That may be urban myth. The bulk of the suicides would have
been by ordinary people suffering from depression (small "d") because
of losing their jobs, savings, homes, etc.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Additional cites:

http://www.emedicine.com/MED/topic3004.htm (search for Great
Depression)

http://www.businessandmedia.org/prin...610143517.aspx
(supports the 14 to 17 percent increase)

It reiterates the 14 to 17 per 100,000 increase, which, incidentally,
amounts to a 21.43 percent increase. Unfortunately, the duration of that
elevation is not mentioned.

The duration is shown at http://tinyurl.com/5pxlo6. About ten years,
and the ten years the Depression covered. (You can date the
beginning, but not the end. Depressions go out with a whimper and not
with a bang. Most economists agree that the Depression continued, to
some degree, up until at least 1940/41. People were still jobless,
homeless, and broke until the beginning of the 40s when the war
brought a economical revival.

Why should we consider the instructor in your course to be any more of
reliable source than the ones listed above? Did he have cites?

The textbook for the course was by Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. There were
several additional books of contemporary articles and commentary.

Then cite Schlesinger and not what you remember of what the course
presented. That's anecdotal and subject to interpretative hearing.
If Schlesinger wrote the text, it was probably one of the books he
wrote in 1957 and 1958 on "The Age of Roosevelt". I was in grad
school at the time those books would have been fairly fresh. I
probably have some misconceptions of what I think I was taught then.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old September 19th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , tony cooper wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:44:15 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
[...]

Just found another source which shows conflicting figures, but not a
conflict in correlation. The U.S. Bureau shows similar figures in
percentages, but they figure out to a smaller real incident number. I
don't know if my math was wrong or I used an incorrect population
figure. (I should never attempt to do math in my head.)

Still, there's a definite spike in suicides starting in 1930,
continuing to 1935, and then going down after 1940. The downward
trend started when the economy was moving back sharply upwards to the
war. While the Great Depression was over before 1940, many families
continued to have problems that were caused by the Depression for
several years more.*

http://tinyurl.com/5pxlo6

The figures are not a "a statistic anolomy" as "someone" posted, but a
definite trend. Anomalies don't last for 10 years whether or not you
spell word right.

*I'll repeat, though, that only an unknown number of suicides were
related to the economy and the fallout of the Great Depression. The
correlation is there, though.

i was arguing against the idea of a huge increase. but i'm still not convinced
it was a sure thing. yeah, it seems oxymoronic, but stats are are slippery.
i used to know how to spell anomaly but you know, crs.
Old September 19th 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:44:55 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

sgt23 wrote:
On Sep 18, 7:54 am, "Longnine009"
wrote:
[...]