Largest / Smallest / most unusual World Coins ever

Old June 7th 04, 11:43 AM
Ian

Default Largest / Smallest / most unusual World Coins ever

Here's a little something I threw together five minutes ago.

I haven't done a single thing with it, not even a spell check, or making
it available to people who have expressed an interest in collecting
large chunks of metal or the pin prick sized bits of metal that is
normally classified as `coinage'. This is all original work unfettered
by research or what others think.

This may develop into an article at some point, but if it does, all
those who actively contribute to it's positive development will get an
honourable mention for said contribution.

Now it's your turn......assistance with its refinement, definition, and
research will be most appreciated (and I mean that most sincerely).

First, and getting straight to the point.....surely in order to define
what is a large and what is a small coin ...and indeed what is an
UNUSUAL coin, we have to define what we mean by the word `coin'. What
indeed IS a coin? Is it necessarily round? is it necessarily disc
shaped? I have my own view on this, but I want YOU to have your say
so...please go ahead and `say':

`I think that the definition of a `coin' is:....
(your answers here please)

Many people think the big stone mill wheel type thinngie generated on
the island of Yap is a `coin'. Is it? (go on, have YOUR say)

Do you think it fits in with the definition of a `coin'?

Can anyone offer ideas as to the commercial `value' of these Yap's? (for
example in the number of loaves of bread each could buy)?

Any idea what you might get in the form of `loose change' if you only
wanted to buy a pint of milk? A few sacks of granite chips perhaps?

Why are there only `multiples' left? What ever happened to all the
`small change'?

Next, lets consider what people here might know concerning large /small
coins (Sorry Reid, that rules you out).

What is the largest mutiple Thaler (weight / size / denomination)
klippe's included? (please cite a reference)

What is the largest known Ptolemy Bronze coin? (please cite a reference)

What is the largest known Libral As? (please cite a reference)

What is the largest known piece of Swedish plate money? (please cite a
reference)

Would a tectonic plate count as currency if it included Sweden?

Now then.....what is the largest gold coin known to exist / have existed?

Is it 'merkin?

I think that takes care of `largest'

Now onto `smallest' and `unusual'.....

Yaps aside for the moment....what is your idea of `unusual' coins?

What about Chinese knife /spade `money'?

What about the iron ingots of ancient Greece?

What about grains of wheat?

sea shell?

slave manacles?

what about camels? Would you smoke those?...... Really?

what do YOU think of as being the most unusual `coin'

what do YOU think of as being (legitimately) in the top ten of the
worlds smallest coins?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and corrections to my article.
I'm sure I will make good use of thes in due course.

Tim...this is NOT a competition. There IS no prize, but see what you can
do with the questions anyway.

IM

Ian
(tongue only lightly pressed against cheek)
Old June 7th 04, 11:55 AM
Fernando de la Cuadra

`I think that the definition of a `coin' is:....
(your answers here please)

The Spanish Language Royal Academiy defines "coin" as "Pieza de oro, plata,
cobre u otro metal, regularmente en forma de disco y acuñada con los
distintivos elegidos por la autoridad emisora para acreditar su legitimidad
y valor, y, por ext., billete o papel de curso lega".

Translated, "gold, silver, brass or other metal piece, usually with disc
shape, coined with the distinctive symbols selected by the coining authority
to certify its legitimity and value. Also, paper with legal value"

Ithink it should also include "with size able to be used every day by
everybody", yo avoid 2 feet pieces....

Old June 7th 04, 12:06 PM
Ian

Fernando de la Cuadra wrote:
`I think that the definition of a `coin' is:....
(your answers here please)

The Spanish Language Royal Academiy defines "coin" as "Pieza de oro, plata,
cobre u otro metal, regularmente en forma de disco y acuñada con los
distintivos elegidos por la autoridad emisora para acreditar su legitimidad
y valor, y, por ext., billete o papel de curso lega".

Translated, "gold, silver, brass or other metal piece, usually with disc
shape, coined with the distinctive symbols selected by the coining authority
to certify its legitimity and value. Also, paper with legal value"

Ithink it should also include "with size able to be used every day by
everybody", yo avoid 2 feet pieces....

A good definition!! Like you, i think it should include a statement as
to `size' to encourage the concept of commercial `utility'.

.....and perhaps also some kind of weight factor? After all, a foot long
steel girder is still something to be reckoned with. ;-)

Ian
Old June 7th 04, 12:47 PM
A.Gent

"Ian" wrote in message
Here's a little something I threw together five minutes ago.

(tongue only lightly pressed against cheek)

Omigod!
Its contagious!

boomp boomp boomp
....another one bites the dust...

BTW, is your first line (quoted above) a deliberate homage to Eric Idle's Noel Coward
song?

(It should be, considering the target)

hehehe

--
Jeff R.

Old June 7th 04, 01:03 PM
Ian

A.Gent wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

Here's a little something I threw together five minutes ago.

(tongue only lightly pressed against cheek)

Omigod!
Its contagious!

boomp boomp boomp
...another one bites the dust...

BTW, is your first line (quoted above) a deliberate homage to Eric Idle's Noel Coward
song?

(It should be, considering the target)

hehehe

--
Jeff R.

As in:

`To the world's biggest prick.'

;-)

Ian
Old June 7th 04, 01:05 PM
A.Gent

"Ian" wrote in message
A.Gent wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

Here's a little something I threw together five minutes ago.

As in:

`To the world's biggest prick.'

http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/penisong.mp3

;-)

Old June 7th 04, 01:09 PM
Ian

A.Gent wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

A.Gent wrote:

"Ian" wrote in message

Here's a little something I threw together five minutes ago.

As in:

`To the world's biggest prick.'

http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/penisong.mp3

;-)

Lol! That's the one! :-)

Old June 7th 04, 01:22 PM
Bruce Remick

"Ian" wrote in message
[...]

No. I can't recall reading whether these stones were actually used to "buy"
things, as we use the term today, or as family heirloom-type status symbols
for wealth. The phrase "Don't give me any of your Yap!" says it all.

Can anyone offer ideas as to the commercial `value' of these Yap's? (for
example in the number of loaves of bread each could buy)?

See above.

Any idea what you might get in the form of `loose change' if you only
wanted to buy a pint of milk? A few sacks of granite chips perhaps?

Why are there only `multiples' left? What ever happened to all the
`small change'?

If these stones indeed ever were exchanged commercially, I imagine it would
have been like trading a cow for a load of building materials, or your
office building for my golf course. No "change". Just my stuff for your
stuff.

Bruce