Unknown Crete Items ???

Old June 29th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Unknown Crete Items ???

At a recent local auction, I won a binder filled with Greek material.
While sorting through everything I came across these 5 items on the
page marked "Crete." They do not appear to be in Scott Catalogs
and I am wondering if anyone can identify them and provide some
information about them.

http://members.aol.com/pmats7/sor/crete_unk.jpg

Thanks for any information,

George

Old June 29th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

These appear to be forgeries of the 1905 Venizelos Insurrection issue
of Therison. The 2nd stamp (map) is one of 3 unissued values, while
the others are 4 of the 5 values of the Nike set (10L missing).

See "Crete - The Revolutionary Stamps of 1905" in The American
Philatelist, March 2000.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Old June 30th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Jay T. Carrigan wrote:
These appear to be forgeries of the 1905 Venizelos Insurrection issue
of Therison. The 2nd stamp (map) is one of 3 unissued values, while
the others are 4 of the 5 values of the Nike set (10L missing).

See "Crete - The Revolutionary Stamps of 1905" in The American
Philatelist, March 2000.

Jay Carrigan

Jay,

Thank you for the information. I will prep a page under Crete in the
album for these forgeries.

George

Old July 3rd 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

G'day George,
Just a FYI, the stamps you enquire about are all listed
in Stanley Gibbons both "simplified" (back of book) and
SG Europe and Colonies (1905)
So you'll be able to locate them at your local library perhaps.
If not, holler, and I'll send some info.
HTH

Crete back of book.
ups.com...

Old July 3rd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
George

Rod wrote:
G'day George,
Just a FYI, the stamps you enquire about are all listed
in Stanley Gibbons both "simplified" (back of book) and
SG Europe and Colonies (1905)
So you'll be able to locate them at your local library perhaps.
If not, holler, and I'll send some info.
HTH

Thanks Rod,

I just went to

http://www.allworldstamps.com

and saw the SG listing on line for the genuine stamps (I think). But
per Jay's response these are probably forgeries of the issue. I know
that the local library does not have copies of SG in any form so if you
could I'd appreciate more info on these - especially if you have info
on the forgeries. As Jay recommended I am looking for a copy of the
APS issue from 2000. they had an article about the issue. Had thought
I would make a special page in my Crete album for them. Even tho' it
takes me into another area to collect - Crete Forgeries.

I avoided US Federal Duck stamps successfully for years until I
received my faterh-in-las's collection which contained an almost
complete collection of Ducks - now I am hooked!

Thanks,

George

Old July 3rd 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

I'll send what I have to your addy, SG never offers details on "bogus"
issues,
so your search for the article will have to remain.
Let us know if you don't receive any emails.

Old July 3rd 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Rod wrote:
I'll send what I have to your addy, SG never offers details on "bogus"
issues,

SG Part 3 says: "Many varieties are to be found suh as tete-bêche,
semi-tete-bêche, without the circular control, control inverted,
stamps overlapping, double print, etc., etc. We believe that most of
these are bogus varieties."

What I don't understand is whether the "control" is the coloured
circular thing with the angel in the centre or the black one in various
positions that looks like a postmark. SG shows both, but it doesn't
usually include postmarks. Its "postmark" is not very clear and doesn't
seem to match yours in any orientation.

Perhaps if the APS article is difficult to come by or Rod's stuff
doesn't explain, Jay could tell us how he instantly recognised them as
forgeries.

Chris

Old July 3rd 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

The stuff I passed on was the SG blurb, similar to
what you typed, Chris.
The APS article seems a "must have", I couldn't find
anything on the web (which dosen't mean it, doesn't exist

wrote in message
ps.com...