eBay listing and reserve fees to skyrocket Feb. 1

Old January 6th 04, 02:24 AM
Ira Stein

Default eBay listing and reserve fees to skyrocket Feb. 1

Selling on eBay Just Got More Expensive: New Fees Effective February
2nd
By Ina Steiner
AuctionBytes.com
January 05, 2004

eBay will increase listing fees on eBay.com effective February 2, the
company announced today. For items with a starting price of between $1
and $9.99, it will cost an extra 5 cents (35 cents) to list on
eBay.com. For items with a starting price of $500 and up (a new
category in eBay's fee structure), it will cost $1.50 more to list
($4.80). In addition, eBay doubled most Reserve Price fees, increased
fees for running optional 10-day listings, increased the subscription
fee for its Seller's Assistant Pro software, and increased fees for
using listing designer with Turbo Lister.

eBay also increased fees for eBay Motors, see the full announcement
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing.shtml for more information about
changes to eBay Motors fees.

There was some positive news included with the fee change
announcement. eBay Storeowners will pay less (2 cents instead of 5
cents for 30-day listings); the special promotional price for Home
Page Featured will become permanent ($39.95 instead of $99.95); and
sellers who re-list items that were won but not paid for by the buyer
will be eligible for the standard re-list credit. Previously sellers
were only able to receive credit for Final Value Fees when filing
Non-Paying Bidder reports
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/npb.html.

In addition, some changes were made to auctions that end without
meeting Reserve Price; beginning in mid-March, sellers will be able to
make Second Chance Offers
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/second_chance_offer.html to
under-bidders, and if a Second Chance Offer is accepted, the Reserve
Price fee will be refunded.

eBay is increasing the subscription fee for its Seller's Assistant Pro
software from $15.99/month to $24.99/month, and on April 12 will begin
charging for using "Listing Designer" within Turbo Lister.

eBay will continue to charge a 30-cent listing fee for items posted
for 99 cents or less. See accompanying chart on the AuctionBytes Web
site for more information
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y04/m01/i05/s01, and eBay's
announcement board for eBay's full announcement.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/announcement/1.html

When asked about the fee changes, eBay spokesperson Hani Durzy said,
"we only make changes when we think it's the right thing to do for the
vibrancy of the eBay Marketplace. We feel that the overall impact of
the changes will be positive."

eBay had last adjusted fees in March 2003
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y03/m02/i17/s01, and eBay
increased Final Value Fees in January 2002
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y02/m01/i17/s01. eBay announced
no changes to Final Value Fees in today's announcement.

eBay is also changing fees in Canada
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-ca.shtml#060401205718, UK
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-uk.shtml and Australia
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-au.shtml; check announcement
boards on eBay's international sites for further information.

In related news, eBay UK is holding a free listing day on January 8,
and sellers on eBay's French site are threatening to strike on January
14, 2004 when higher fees go into effect on eBay.fr

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y03/m12/i23/s01.

***
Ira Stein
Old January 6th 04, 02:37 AM
JSTONE9352

I figured a fee increase was probably
in the works. Stuff I used to list at $1.00
will now drop to 99 cents starting bid
to save 5 cents. With their domination
of the online auction market they probably figure they can do what they want.
Old January 6th 04, 03:11 AM
Stujoe

JSTONE9352 spoke thusly...
With their domination
of the online auction market they probably figure they can do what they want.

And they are probably right (at least for now).

--
Stujoe
Email: http://tinyurl.com/wu00
Old January 6th 04, 03:12 AM
Chris S

"JSTONE9352" wrote:
With their domination
of the online auction market they probably figure they can do what they

want.

They figure right, and they're just getting warmed up. The game of a
quasi-monopoly is to increase its share of the pit to the point that they're
inviting competition or anti-trust action. My rcc quote of Feb 6, 2003:
"eBay will increasingly exercise its monopoly power, gradually making the
deal more expensive for customers, suppliers, and competitors. This, of
course, goes for their PayPal subsidiary as well.

--Chris

Old January 6th 04, 05:01 AM
Nick Knight

In , on 01/05/2004
at 08:12 PM, "Chris S" chris(at)imt.xohost.com said:

With their domination
of the online auction market they probably figure they can do what they
want.

They figure right, and they're just getting warmed up. The game of a
quasi-monopoly is to increase its share of the pit to the point that
they're inviting competition or anti-trust action.

So. Who's in second place? Would that be Yahoo auctions? I've never
listed there, and I've barely ever looked. Is this a close alternative? If
not, what are the issues that prevent it from being so?

Nick
Old January 6th 04, 05:20 AM
Bruce Remick

Chris S wrote:

"JSTONE9352" wrote:

With their domination
of the online auction market they probably figure they can do what they

want.

They figure right, and they're just getting warmed up. The game of a
quasi-monopoly is to increase its share of the pit to the point that they're
inviting competition or anti-trust action. My rcc quote of Feb 6, 2003:
"eBay will increasingly exercise its monopoly power, gradually making the
deal more expensive for customers, suppliers, and competitors. This, of
course, goes for their PayPal subsidiary as well.

You gotta admit though, their unique service has become a infectious
fixture throughout the world. Seldom can you wander through the
collectibles or antiques scene anywhere in the world without overhearing
dozens of people sharing Ebay experiences. Many count on Ebay for their
figurative daily bread, and couldn't survive in sales without it. Sure,
Ebay essentially has a monopoly on the online auction business. We all
helped them gain that status. They made it easy for anyone to play.
Most of us profited, too, both as buyers and sellers, exposing our stuff
to potential buyers all over the world for pennies in fees. That's why
I take their increased fees as simply an anticipated cost of using their
resources. There was commercial life before Ebay, and anyone who finds
it becoming unprofitable to sell there is always free go back to the
more traditional ways. I'm curious how some of those mega-Power Sellers
made their livings before Ebay. As a small-potatoes member, I can't
complain about Ebay's charges. I just hope they stay around.

Bruce

Old January 6th 04, 05:46 AM
Chris S

"Bruce Remick" wrote:
You gotta admit though, their unique service has become a infectious
fixture throughout the world.

I don't begrudge eBay its market power. I agree that they earned it. Like
Microsoft, and in the past Nintendo, US Steel, Standard Oil, et al.,
unregulated monopolies achieved their status by making the world a better
place in a meaningful way. Fortunately for you and me, their monopoly power
is a tiny part of our lives. The point I was making is that monopolies'
products differ from other great products in that the cost of their services
goes up over time, unlike products in competitive markets. Those who rely on
them for their livelihoods should recognize, plan for, and cope with that
fact of life. It will be years before eBay loses its market power.

I think I conjectured here that at some point, internet coin dealers could
send a message to eBay by diverting their auctions to some other service for
a day, week, month, or whatever. It would cost them money in to do so, and
those that stayed on eBay during the protest would make out like bandits,
but to the extent it worked, eBay would have to begin to act like a
competitive supplier, and Yahoo, Amazon, or some other internet auction
house might gain a foothold. RCC, the PCGS forum and other media could be
helpful in such an effort, both in helping organize sellers, and in gaining
collectors' support. Again, it's not my hunt, but I offer the concept for
those who care.

--Chris

Old January 6th 04, 08:02 AM
Paul Robertz

ospam (Ira Stein) wrote in message ...
[...]

snip
eBay had last adjusted fees in March 2003
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y03/m02/i17/s01, and eBay
increased Final Value Fees in January 2002
http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y02/m01/i17/s01. eBay announced
no changes to Final Value Fees in today's announcement.

eBay is also changing fees in Canada
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-ca.shtml#060401205718, UK
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-uk.shtml and Australia
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-au.shtml; check announcement
boards on eBay's international sites for further information.

***
Ira Stein

OK, a fee increase in the name of "the vibrancy of the eBay
Marketplace" is predictable each year. Last year's overall positive
impact allowed eBay to purchase their first $30 million corporate jet
and still kept them profitable in the absence of any serious
competition. Since eBay has become flooded with sellers it makes sense
for them to focus this year on listing fees, since the number of
auctions completing with no bids seems to have risen, and eBay can
still get away with another fee increase.

If this latest annual fee increase is indeed necessary, who will
benefit the most? The seller of eBay's second corporate jet? TV
networks and magazines who air and print eBay ads? eBay stockholders?
Certainly not the collector who originally built eBay's empire? I
expect to see more auctions starting at 99 cents with no reserve, and
fewer choice coins which would be in demand at a show. Unless eBay
gets realistic about admitting the percentage of fraudulent auctions
and misrepresentations, their "vibrant marketplace" will become more
of a dumping grounds for items in search of unsuspecting buyers.

Did anyone else notice that today eBay also changed their
PowerSellers' logo to a small circular icon without the words "Power
Seller" that carry so many negative connotations to so many bidders?
I have also noticed that eBay keeps "PowerSeller" status for more high
volume sellers with more than 2% negatives than they used to, and now
rewards regular sellers with eBay stores a slight reduction in listing
fees.
Old January 6th 04, 11:21 AM
JSTONE9352

So. Who's in second place? Would that be Yahoo auctions? I've never
listed there, and I've barely ever looked. Is this a close alternative? If
not, what are the issues that prevent it from being so?

Yahoo in comparison to ebay is such
small potatoes that I don't think there
is any meaningful second place.

A lack of buyers keeps Yahoo small and
dealers don't want to bother with it if so
many auctions end with no bidders.

Old January 6th 04, 12:35 PM
Scottishmoney

"Ira Stein" wrote in message
Selling on eBay Just Got More Expensive: New Fees Effective February
2nd
By Ina Steiner
AuctionBytes.com
January 05, 2004

eBay will increase listing fees on eBay.com effective February 2, the
company announced today. For items with a starting price of between $1
and $9.99, it will cost an extra 5 cents (35 cents) to list on
eBay.com.

One more nail in the coffin for FleaBay in my opinion, I haven't sold
anything on Fleabay, nor bought anything for that matter in months, they can
KMA!.

Dave P.

---

Pre Order fon Autographs 48 August 12th 04 10:51 PM
rules regarding bid cancellation dahoov2 Autographs 4 November 4th 03 09:47 PM
eBay Cancellation Notices pakratt4 Coins 13 October 28th 03 06:26 AM
FA: $1 No Reserve Dolls and Accessories Michael R Dolls 0 September 14th 03 02:55 PM
An Auction site better than eBay - just for Trading Cards TradingCards4Sale.com Card discussions 4 July 26th 03 10:18 AM