Profitable.

Old November 5th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Default Profitable.

Bought on ebay 30 April 2006 for £92.48 and sold for £127, not too bad.

It's now near impossible to find a Scottish "square" £1 note for under £100,
even low grade ones. Does anyone consider this note to be "aVF"? Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=270047921832

Old November 5th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
chaox01

With all the dirt and limp looking note, I'd grade it VG. But then I'm
always a conservative grader.

Old November 5th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider it overgraded, it's very mucky and
worn, a fine at best, possibly a VG as you say.

If our grading opinion is correct the buyer overpaid I think.

The seller has 100% feedback so maybe we're too tough? Billy

oups.com...

Old November 5th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
chaox01

Maybe there is no such thing as overpaid in an auction. If you are
willing to bid over the next bidder, you establish the market price. I
don't think 100% feedback has anything to do with bid prices.

note.boy wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider it overgraded, it's very mucky and
worn, a fine at best, possibly a VG as you say.

If our grading opinion is correct the buyer overpaid I think.

The seller has 100% feedback so maybe we're too tough? Billy

oups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I disagree with the comment about feedback.

I have a lot of experience selling items on eBay and Amazon, and I am proud
of my feedback, which is 99.8% and 98% positive, respectively, with
thousands of transactions under my belt.

I know for a fact that I receive higher prices for my items based upon my
feedback. On Amazon Marketplace I used to match lowest prices for similar
items of the same condition. Then I started matching the average of the
lowest five sellers with similar feedback. Often I would sell items for
several times more money than what others were asking, and the only
differences between us was the feedback.

On 11/5/06 2:47 PM, in article
, "chaox01"

note.boy wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider it overgraded, it's very mucky and
worn, a fine at best, possibly a VG as you say.

If our grading opinion is correct the buyer overpaid I think.

The seller has 100% feedback so maybe we're too tough? Billy

oups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
chaox01

This is very interesting. I didn't know people actually bid more
because the seller has high feedback. I'm speaking only from my own
experience though. If the seller has many negative feedbacks, I'd avoid
him. Other than that I bid only how much I want to pay for the note on
its own merit.

note.boy wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider it overgraded, it's very mucky and
worn, a fine at best, possibly a VG as you say.

If our grading opinion is correct the buyer overpaid I think.

The seller has 100% feedback so maybe we're too tough? Billy

oups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I agree that a low feedback probably is more likely to discourage bidding in
the first place, and not all bidders may decide to bid more for an item from
a highly rated seller.

However, I think if condition of a note is in question, you are probably
more likely to trust a highly rated seller and therefore bid with confidence
rather than temper your bid based on the suspicion that a note may actually
be of lower grade than represented.

On 11/5/06 5:44 PM, in article
, "chaox01"

note.boy wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to consider it overgraded, it's very mucky
and
worn, a fine at best, possibly a VG as you say.

If our grading opinion is correct the buyer overpaid I think.

The seller has 100% feedback so maybe we're too tough? Billy

oups.com...

Old November 6th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

"Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote in message
I agree that a low feedback probably is more likely to discourage bidding
in
the first place, and not all bidders may decide to bid more for an item
from
a highly rated seller.

However, I think if condition of a note is in question, you are probably
more likely to trust a highly rated seller and therefore bid with
confidence
rather than temper your bid based on the suspicion that a note may
actually
be of lower grade than represented.

And I have a veritable gold mine of square £1 notes sitting in a safe
deposit box. They have even out performed gold as a long term investment.
But alas whilst I can part with the newer stuff, they sit comfortably in
their repose. And some nice rares like Caledonians and North of Scotland
and Town and County Bank. Poor note.boy would have to trade away the Beemer
and the equines to buy them now

Old November 6th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

[...]

As an investment it would be difficult to find better, I'm repeatedly
astounded at the ever incensing auction prices achieved, why did I not buy
more of them 10+ years ago? :-(

Just 10 years ago a really nice square could be had for around £50 now a
ratty one will be around the £100 mark. Billy

It's New. It's Profitable. JDP Paper Money 0 September 10th 06 12:06 AM
Foreign interest profitable for Royal Canadian Mint stonej Coins 0 May 12th 06 12:31 PM
ANA Governors Jorg Lueke Coins 12 April 6th 06 04:20 AM
Siomple Isn't Easy - but it may be profitable... Willow Arune Books 0 January 30th 06 06:11 PM
A profitable weekend! DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 0 December 13th 04 07:30 PM