Inside IBNS newsletter No. 4/06 is now online

Old November 4th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Default Inside IBNS newsletter No. 4/06 is now online

Iım pleased to report that members of the International Bank Note Society
can now download the current issue (No. 4/06) of the Inside IBNS newsletter
from the Extranet section of www.theIBNS.org. You must be an IBNS member
with a web password to access this section of the site.

Currently there are eight issues available for download in PDF format, from
issue No. 1/05 to No. 4/06. New issues will be posted as soon as they are
sent to the printer.

--
Owen W. Linzmayer (IBNS member 7962)
Editor, Inside IBNS

Read about the International Bank Note Society: www.theIBNS.org

See my notes for sale/trade: www.owenink.com/banknotes/forsale.html

Old November 4th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Has any mention been made of the fact that there is no longer a Scottish
Chapter, not just in the current issue but in any issue? Billy

Old November 4th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Billy,

As I've only just taken over the role of editor of the newsletter, I can't
say for certain. I do know that it hasn't been mentioned in the current or
previous issues that I've been involved with, but may have been discussed
prior, or in the IBNS Journal.

Why do you ask?

Old November 5th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

I would have been surprised if had been mentioned in any IBNS communication
due to why the Scottish Chapter was dissolved.

It was not a good start when the IBNS asked the Scottish Chapter to make an
"initial" application when the chapter had been running for over 10 years,
it went downhill from then on and the members voted 37 to 6 to dissolve the
chapter and start a new society.

This has been done and we now have the BNSS, the Banknote Society of
Scotland. Billy

Old November 5th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Billy,

I was not aware of this situation, but can't say as I am surprised to hear
of it. Personally I find the whole relationship between chapters and the
society a bit confusing. As a lowly member of the IBNS, I had long assumed
that the chapters were comprised of other IBNS members.

After I took on the role as editor of the newsletter, I inquired about the
formation of a California chapter. It was then that I learned that people
can be members of an IBNS chapter without being members of the IBNS itself.
That still doesn't really make sense to me, but apparently that is how the
by-laws are written.

Do members of the BNSS collect world notes, or are they primarily focused on
Scottish notes?

Old November 5th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

It is a bit odd, but I think OK, than it's possible to be a member of a
Chapter without being a member of the "daddy" IBNS, of the 50+ members of
the former Scottish Chapter only about 6 were members of the "daddy" IBNS.
I presume that these were the members that voted to stay with the IBNS, the
vote was postal and anonymous.

In the 10+ years existence of the Scottish Chapter I believe that the amount
of communication from the "daddy" IBNS was zero although the Chapter did
communicate with them a few times. Some commemorative Scottish notes were
sent to the "daddy" IBNS as a gift and the response from them was total
silence.

The vast majority of the members of the BNSS are interested only in Scottish
banknotes, the majority of Scottish notes sold at auction in the UK end up
in a member's collection, a few of the cheaper ones end up in mine. :-)

Old November 6th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Sorry to hear that the relationship between the Scottish chapter and the
IBNS wasn't a satisfactory one.

The fact of the matter is the organization is a non-profit run by
volunteers, and as such it doesn't always operate as efficiently as one
would like. Hopefully that will change as new members join and bring fresh
enthusiasm and new ideas with them.

I for one welcome any information you or other BNSS members would like to
share with me regarding new note issues from Scotland.

Old November 6th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

One other member does post here occasionally but not often.

Few members are regular internet users which suits me fine ebay wise.

Does this count as a new issue? :-) Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200041775219

Old November 6th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

It's been my observation that many IBNS members are loathe to adopt new
technologies like the Internet, which is a shame for them. After all, it's
amazing to be able to contact collectors on the other side of the world and
get instant info on new notes.

Old November 7th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

At the meetings I encourage members to use the internet to advance the
enjoyment of their hobby but with not much success so far. Billy

,
"note.boy" wrote:

[...]

:-)

"note.boy" wrote:

[...]

FS: Various Cards (3 of 3) Max Gratton Baseball 0 September 30th 04 03:56 AM
FS: Various Cards (2 of 3) Max Gratton Baseball 0 September 30th 04 03:56 AM
CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM