Summer Vacation

Old July 17th 04, 08:41 PM
Mark Behrens

Default Summer Vacation

My son & I in a few weeks are going to take a vacation to southern Colorado
and northern New Mexico. While this is not a numismatic vacation, I may look
in on the Armarillo coin show on the way back.

I am not looking for a coin dealer, rather there are a number of 'trading
posts' in NM. Does anyone know any good ones to go to for coins, especially
in the northwest quadrant of NM?

Mark

Old July 17th 04, 09:02 PM
Dale Hallmark

I am not all that familiar with that area but I will be at the Amarillo
coin show for a couple hours before lunch the first day :-)
After a couple hours I am usually broke, not even enough left for a fish
sandwich from Long John Silver's.

Durango is a fairly large place in the SW part of Colorado. Also the steam
train ride from Durango to Silverton is
susposed to be a great activity but it takes all day.

Should be a coin shop there. I was there twice this summer but didn't look
for coin shops.
Farmington in the NW part of NM is another reasonable sized city but I have
only drove through it, never stopped to shop.

NW New Mexico is a LONG way from Amarillo Texas!

Dale
Hope I have some money by the time the Amarillo show rolls around!

Old July 17th 04, 09:23 PM
Mark Behrens

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
[...]

Dale,

If I make the Amarillo show, it will be the first few hours on Saturday,
too. Hopefully, I won't be too broke at the end of the trip to enjoy the
coin show.

Yes, I realize that the Four Corners region is a long ways from Amarillo.
It is even farther from our home in Virginia.

Mark

Old July 17th 04, 10:09 PM
Dale Hallmark

[...]

I think I will be looking to add to my modern commemorative collection
and maybe for a junk Morgan Dollar box to add to my Year Dollar Album.
A few $8 or $9 Morgans or Peace will be easy to add to my album if the
Commems don't take all the funds first. I am looking for some of the more
expensive 96 commems but they
will be hard to find at the Amarillo show even though there may be as many
as 50 tables. My Dollar album is pretty skimpy now with
only 2 coins in it. Maybe just before I leave the show when the funds get
really low I will add a few circ Ikes to it too if any are displayed
(normally not as they are at the very bottom of a dealers profit list) :-)
This album is not intended to be impressive but to be fun.

If you leave NW NM and go south to Santa Fe and then
south to the the interstate to head east to Amarillo, (about a 9-10 hour
drive if I remember correctly) you will see
some of the butt ugliest country in the US of A! Its very desolateness can
be interesting I guess.
I find some of the Mesas or Buttes and Canyons to be worth looking at.
It sure ain't ole Virgini! Or even Central Texas for that matter:-)
Georgia O'Keefe (SP?) found beauty in the area.

Dale

Old July 17th 04, 10:29 PM
JSTONE9352

Should be a coin shop there. I was there twice this summer but didn't
look
for coin shops.
Farmington in the NW part of NM is another reasonable sized city

I believe there is a coin shop in
Farmington, NM. I remember
reading a profile of the dealer in
Coinage magazine a few years
ago. Don't remember the name
but he should be listed in
the phone book for Farmington and
you could check that out when you
get there.

Good luck.

Old July 18th 04, 01:58 PM
Joe Schell

In article , jstone9352
@aol.com says...
Should be a coin shop there. I was there twice this summer but didn't

look
for coin shops.
Farmington in the NW part of NM is another reasonable sized city

I believe there is a coin shop in
Farmington, NM. I remember
reading a profile of the dealer in
Coinage magazine a few years