Trading getting out of hand.

Old November 15th 03, 04:14 AM
Mike

Default Trading getting out of hand.

Trading is really getting rediculous these days.Everyone thinks they have
GOLD and their cards are always better than yours.So therefore they think
they deserve the better end of the deal.As if you owe them something.Not
everyone does this but it sure seems it's moving in that
direction.Especially with all of these serial #'ed cards that are #'ed 25 or
less.they think they can get the world with those cards just because they
are too scarce to list in Beckett..I put up this post looking for a $15.00
autograph.( am a member of many trading groups.)
This guy answers and says he has the said card I was looking for.I asked him
to have a look at my trade page to see if there was anything he liked.He
answers back and says he's interested in a bunch of my $100.00 and $200.00
auto's.I have tons and tons of $15.00 to $25.00 auto's he could have choosen
from.But no he has to pick the best stuff I have for a nobody auto of his.I
don't think my cards are gold and think that my cards are the best.But that
is crazy.Other people have this crazy rule for trading, One guy wanted a
$30.00 rookie of mine.I looked at his trade page and said I would trade him
my $30.00 card for one of his $20.00 auto's.
He writes back like he is offended that I would even dare ask him for such a
crazy deal and writes in extra bold type "AUTO"S FOR AUTO'S,GAME USED FOR
GAME USED AND ROOKIES FOR ROOKIES"
Now who the hell made up this rule and set it in stone.He's getting a $30.00
rookie on the Beckett hot list for a $20.00 auto.

It's getting like this in almost all of the trade groups,You can't just make
a lower ended trade anymore.Or trades where the book values are
close.Everyone thinks they always have to get the better deal.

Old November 20th 03, 09:42 PM
jpeabody

The problem with trading is that the common denominator used for every
other transaction, the dollar, is thrown out. It's the ton of
feathers vs. the ton of bricks dillemma. Which one is heavier? Well,
with baseball cards, $100 worth of rookies is usually "worth" more
than $100 of anything else. Lots of times at shows dealers have
looked through my stuff and in negotiating made offers slanted more
heavily in BV for rookies than GU or other singles. Rookies are just
generally more prized than game-used and autos because they are the
ones most likely to hold or appreciate in value.

The guy who didn't want to trade an auto for a rookie probably should
have said so up front, but still, even if he couldn't see it he was
probably getting the better end of the deal in the long-term, and the
short-term, too, as a decent rookie is more saleable and tradeable
than a regular auto. But don't be turned off by people like that.
There are lots of good traders out there who are more concerned with
getting what they want than "winning" every trade. You'll find them
if you keep looking.

Old November 20th 03, 10:19 PM
MikeCouil

I feel your pain brother. I posted to the different sports groups a couple
weeks ago hoping to get some minnesota regional stuff. You know, all world
super stars that everyone wants, like Joe Mays, Bryant Mckinnie, Chris
Claiborne, Denny Hocking, etc.

I got NOTHING but ridicoulous emails. Stuff like:

"I have some of what you are looking for. I collect Lebron James, Kobe Bryant,
Michael Vick, and Priest Holmes high end game used, autographs, and rookies".

I haven't made much progress in getting into the trading groups either since
I've been away so long and really have no references. It's been kind of a
shame but oh well, there is always buying...

Mike

Old November 23rd 03, 12:12 AM

eBay is a good place to find trading partners. I collect a few players
never on the hot sheets or star charts and I build some tough parallel
sets. In bidding on these cards, I see the same user IDs popping up in
competition for the cards I'm bidding on. I've contacted many of these
people and have exchanged lists with them and have made many helpful
deals that way. Hardly ever has anyone been a stickler for exact BV
for BV, let alone demanding overpriced game used rookie auto nonsense.
I think they even make software now that can track for you what users
are bidding on particular players and sets.

Old November 23rd 03, 08:03 PM
Anthony

I found a good site to trade on and that is Cardtradingfools.com. I
have been there for a year or so and have had nothing but awesome
trading experiences. As of late I have been trading only through this
site, since i got ripped off on another site.

All the traders seem to be very fair and not really conserned too much
about trading BV for BV all the time. Most traders will state in their
post if they like to trade g/u for g/u autos for autos etc.

But I have found most people to be very flexible.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

Old November 26th 03, 05:07 AM
MikeCouil

I went there and signed up. Unfortunately every time I type in my password it
tells me it's incorrect. I've changed it several times and it fails every
time. I've emailed them about it 3 times and havent' received a response.

Mike

Old November 27th 03, 02:47 PM
MikeCouil

Didnt work I emailed them again this morning...

It could be your user name. Try using your email address that you signed up
with for your ID.

I had the same problem & that's what I had to do.

I found a good site to trade on and that is Cardtradingfools.com. I
have been there for a year or so and have had nothing but awesome
trading experiences. As of late I have been trading only through this
site, since i got ripped off on another site.

All the traders seem to be very fair and not really conserned too much
about trading BV for BV all the time. Most traders will state in their
post if they like to trade g/u for g/u autos for autos etc.

But I have found most people to be very flexible.

Hope this helps,
Anthony

-Dan (TIC)
http://sportscardfun.com/trader/ideal0024.asp

"If a man hasn't discovered something he would die for, he isn't fit to
live."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Baseball doesn't owe me a thing, I owe my whole life to baseball."
- Kirby Puckett

Old November 29th 03, 03:57 AM
Rick Rottman

My experiences have always been like this. Perhaps not as extreme,
but the same principle none the less. People don't just want to get a
card they want for one they have but don't want. They want to get
over on the other person. Instead of wanting a fair trade for both
parties, they want one of the traders (them) to make out better then
the other. It is a competition thing.

I have tried to use the card trader forums, but I had a bunch of
people try to trade common 1:4 inserts for 1:72 inserts. Another
reason eBay is the sports card collector's best friend. Sell cards
you don't want for the true fair market price and then use the money
to buy what you want.

Rick

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:14:07 -0600, "Mike"
wrote:

[...]

"In The Mail" Up to date Kenneth465 Autographs 0 August 16th 03 06:10 PM
An Auction site better than eBay - just for Trading Cards TradingCards4Sale.com Card discussions 4 July 26th 03 10:18 AM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM
"In The Mail" thru Saturday 7/5/03 Kenneth465 Autographs 0 July 5th 03 09:57 PM