FS: A New Coin Engraving To Be Seen & Admired

Old March 24th 09, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Newt

Default FS: A New Coin Engraving To Be Seen & Admired

Howdy y'all,

Amy's made another work of art:
http://www.armstrongengraving.com/ni...o-nickel.shtml
Take a look and see.

This Hobo Nickel is also for sale on ebay if it catches your fancy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobo-Nickel-Dust...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your patience and patronage.

Rob

Old March 24th 09, 05:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Mar 23, 9:41*pm, "Mr. Newt" wrote:
Howdy y'all,

Amy's made another work of art:http://www.armstrongengraving.com/ni...gger-no-fishin...
Take a look and see.

This Hobo Nickel is also for sale on ebay if it catches your fancy:http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobo-Nickel-Dust...-by-Armstrong-...

Thanks for your patience and patronage.

Rob

Thats very cool Rob, I bought one of these off ebay awhile back, with
a different carven. I'm not sure if it was one yours or not, but they
all look like a lot of work. How long does it take to carve one of
these? Anyways thanks for sharing!
Old March 24th 09, 03:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Mar 24, 1:51*am, sgt23 wrote:
On Mar 23, 9:41*pm, "Mr. Newt" wrote:

Howdy y'all,

Amy's made another work of art:http://www.armstrongengraving.com/ni...gger-no-fishin...
Take a look and see.

This Hobo Nickel is also for sale on ebay if it catches your fancy:http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobo-Nickel-Dust...-by-Armstrong-...

Thanks for your patience and patronage.

Rob

Thats very cool Rob, I bought one of these off ebay awhile back, with
a different carven. I'm not sure if it was one yours or not, but they
all look like a lot of work. How long does it take to carve one of
these? Anyways thanks for sharing!

I think the example on eBay is quite ugly. I don't care how long
It took to "engrave" it, but it's a far cry from some of the original
hobo nickels i've seen. I used to have one carved by Bo on a type 1
buffalo nickel. I sold it about ten years ago. The example this guy is
selling looks like a poorly excecuted cartoon.

Anyone agree?

Ira
Old March 24th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Mar 24, 10:10*am, Ira wrote:
On Mar 24, 1:51*am, sgt23 wrote:

On Mar 23, 9:41*pm, "Mr. Newt" wrote:

[...]

Ira- Hide quoted text -

I feel that it is difficult to call these newly engraved things "hobo
nickels" because (1) they use little or none of the design element(s)
of the original Indian or Buffalo on the coins and (2) they no doubt
rely heavily on modern tools, so they can't accurately be called hand
engraved. The original hobo engravers didn't have those modern tools.

oly
Old March 24th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Ira wrote:
On Mar 24, 1:51 am, sgt23 wrote:
On Mar 23, 9:41 pm, "Mr. Newt" wrote:

[...]

The attraction of the "Bo" nickels was that they showed a clever
exploitation of the original design while at the same time minimally
modifying it. One had to have considerable artistic talent to use the
Indian head and the buffalo advantageously and effectively to make something
else out of them. Otherwise, what's the point? One could do a bunch of
carving on an electrical box knockout and then try to peddle it as a "hobo"
coin.

James

Old March 24th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
On Mar 24, 10:10 am, Ira wrote:
On Mar 24, 1:51 am, sgt23 wrote:

On Mar 23, 9:41 pm, "Mr. Newt" wrote:

[...]

Stop the presses! Oly agrees with Ira! What hath God wrought?

James the Breathless

Old March 24th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Johnny Doe wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:10:33 -0700 (PDT), Ira wrote:

I think the example on eBay is quite ugly. I don't care how long
It took to "engrave" it, but it's a far cry from some of the original
hobo nickels i've seen. I used to have one carved by Bo on a type 1
buffalo nickel. I sold it about ten years ago. The example this guy
is selling looks like a poorly excecuted cartoon.

Anyone agree?

Ira

I don't think you can compare a piece like this with the Bo piece.
The cartoonishness that you dislike is just a totally different style,
designed to have a cartoon look. The best old-time hobo nickels are
AMAZING works of art, from a time when that work of art might be all
that decided whether you slept in a warm room or in a freezing gutter.

By using the phrase "hobo nickel" in the title of both links that he
provided, the OP is indeed comparing the new products with Bo pieces. We
don't have to discuss styles or tastes to take note of that fact.

James

Old March 24th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Edwin Johnston

oly wrote:
On Mar 24, 10:10 am, Ira wrote:
On Mar 24, 1:51 am, sgt23 wrote:

On Mar 23, 9:41 pm, "Mr. Newt" wrote:
[...]

Currently there is a list of favorite pieces of members of the Original
Hobo Nickel Society on their website, plus a whole slew of others, all
nicely illustrated, representing an enormous diversity of styles:
http://hobonickels.org/news.htm

Old March 24th 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

Stop the presses! Oly agrees with Ira! What hath God wrought?

Even a blind chicken gets a piece of corn.