Here's an ACG BEAUTY

Old July 2nd 03, 08:38 PM
Alex Gross

Default Here's an ACG BEAUTY

Check out this "mint" coin.

Old July 2nd 03, 08:45 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:38:21 GMT, "Alex Gross" is
alleged to have written:

Check out this "mint" coin.

VF. Green scum between the dentils. And it's NOT a DDO, it's a simple repunched
date. That is not an accidental mis-identification IMO, a DDO will typically get
more money than a repunched date. His other auction is a questionable 1909 1c
Matte proof in an NTC slab.

Bruce (Birds of a feather)

Old July 2nd 03, 08:54 PM
Craton

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:38:21 GMT, "Alex Gross" is
alleged to have written:

Check out this "mint" coin.

VF. Green scum between the dentils. And it's NOT a DDO, it's a simple repunched
date. That is not an accidental mis-identification IMO, a DDO will typically get
more money than a repunched date.

I don't know Bruce. I may be leaning towards a DDO but am not sure.
There is plenty of doubling all over the coin but it could be
mechanical.
I sent the auction link to a shield nickel variety collector that I
know. I'll post what he has to say.

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------
Old July 2nd 03, 09:02 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:54:31 -0700, Craton is alleged to
have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:38:21 GMT, "Alex Gross" is
alleged to have written:

Check out this "mint" coin.

VF. Green scum between the dentils. And it's NOT a DDO, it's a simple repunched
date. That is not an accidental mis-identification IMO, a DDO will typically get
more money than a repunched date.

I don't know Bruce. I may be leaning towards a DDO but am not sure.
There is plenty of doubling all over the coin but it could be
mechanical.
I sent the auction link to a shield nickel variety collector that I
know. I'll post what he has to say.

If that's a double die, I'll donate two cases of canned goods to the local
foodbank and post a photo of the receipt online.

Bruce (putting money where mouth is)

Old July 2nd 03, 09:15 PM
The Fausts

"Alex Gross" wrote...
Check out this "mint" coin.

LOL
I love how they show close up pictures of how worn it is.

Eric

Old July 2nd 03, 09:24 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:38:21 GMT, "Alex Gross" is
alleged to have written:

Check out this "mint" coin.

VF. Green scum between the dentils. And it's NOT a DDO, it's a simple repunched
date. That is not an accidental mis-identification IMO, a DDO will typically get
more money than a repunched date.

I don't know Bruce. I may be leaning towards a DDO but am not sure.
There is plenty of doubling all over the coin but it could be
mechanical.
I sent the auction link to a shield nickel variety collector that I
know. I'll post what he has to say.

If that's a double die, I'll donate two cases of canned goods to the local
foodbank and post a photo of the receipt online.

Bruce (putting money where mouth is)

There's a lot of metal rubbed off that coin to be calling it Mint State anything!

It's not like you have to look hard to see the wear, either. Top of
shield, right edge of shield, leaves...

Alan
'Uncirculated like Madonna'
Old July 2nd 03, 09:41 PM
Craton

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 19:38:21 GMT, "Alex Gross" is
alleged to have written:

Check out this "mint" coin.

VF. Green scum between the dentils. And it's NOT a DDO, it's a simple repunched
date. That is not an accidental mis-identification IMO, a DDO will typically get
more money than a repunched date.

I don't know Bruce. I may be leaning towards a DDO but am not sure.
There is plenty of doubling all over the coin but it could be
mechanical.
I sent the auction link to a shield nickel variety collector that I
know. I'll post what he has to say.

If that's a double die, I'll donate two cases of canned goods to the local
foodbank and post a photo of the receipt online.

Bruce (putting money where mouth is)

Looks like you'll be able to keep your canned goods

"Jason,

This coin is an excellent example of the type of item Barry Stuppler
should
have brought with him to his hearing.

In other words, horribly overgraded and completely misattributed by the
usual culprit. Obvious strike doubling, not die doubling. EF at best -
value $75 at most. Looks to me like there is damage on the right side
of
the horizontal shield lines, lowering the value further if true.

The only good thing about the auction is that the seller posted such a
nice
picture that it's obvious what the coin really is! That leads me to
think
that possibly he was scammed into buying it - someone trying to scam a
sale
wouldn't post a good picture."

Old July 2nd 03, 11:05 PM
Larry Calder

Looks to me like it is alvie. i wish my yard could be that green.

Coins supplies, decent pricing from a decent guy

http://www.texascoinstuff.com

PORCOS NON ABLOCAMUS,Y'all

Larry
Live the good life so that when you die,
You get to go to Willie's house!!!

Old July 3rd 03, 08:15 PM
Coin Saver

From: "The Fausts" (Eric) wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...775&category=1

1952

I love how they show close up pictures of how worn it is.

Actually, I found it interesting. First, let me say that this seller is selling
the coin as ACG attributed it, not entirely to his dishonor. Note I said
"entirely". At least a cuppla kudos to the seller for the detailed pics. (most
unscrupulous sellers would post slightly out-of-focus photos, and just 1 or 2)
Let's go to Grading 101:

Using the ACG identification to justify ignoring the stated grading, the
details of the pic to give an excellent example of the difference between a F,
VF, and XF 1866 nickel ... to wit:

At first glance, it appearas to be about a F. But the enlarged leafs show it to
be at least a VF, then the seller goes on to enlarging the 'cross above the
shield' (at the bottom of the pics), which, upon closer examination, still has
a bit of the incuse detail, bringing it up closer to an XF - making this a
$120.oo range coin instead of the $80.oo - $90.oo range one might suppose upon
first glance.

I wonder how much the seller got soaked for this coin ...

8-/
Coin Saver
Old July 4th 03, 01:17 AM
The Fausts

"Coin Saver" wrote...

[...]

I see where you're coming from, but I'm afraid you may be giving the guy too
much credit. He now has around 40 ACG auctions going, 1 NTC, and nothing
from any respectable grading service.
I don't think he loses much by showing good pictures. ACG sellers
necessarily target people who wouldn't know the difference between MS-60 and
EF even at high magnification. If they did know the difference, they
wouldn't be buying.

Eric